Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Cheap(er) resorts in France

Poster: A snowHead
Hi. Apologies if this has been asked before, but only just registered to the site. We want to go to France at the very end of Jan but having only ever been Bulgaria before, we are at a loss of where to go. I have been looking at Flaine or Montgenevre, as my book (where to ski/snowboard) shows these as being good for snow but cheap in resort, however, we also want life in the resort (both these resorts seems very quiet). Can anyone recommend somewhere that has good snow but not as expensive as Val D'iser, Tignes etc. We are beginners and intermediates and young(ish).
Also, Ive read about morzine and sounds nice, but is lower altertude - would I be risking it if we went here but is anywhere in france pretty much snow-sure. Thanks
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Jon Ford, I didn't find Morzine particularly cheap, however you'll be fine for skiing there... Avoriaz (a short ride up the Super Morzine Bubble) has an excellent snow record. Decent apres-ski too, nice enough town too and close to Geneva. My guess is there are plenty places more expensive than Morzine, but I wouldn't describe £6 for a beer as cheap...
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Jon Ford, Hi,,, I will say La Toussuire,,, belong to Les Sybelles, the 4th biggest skiarea in france,, and alot cheaper than Tignes , Val Thorens etc,, Is a very french resort,, but there is also english and Netherland skier their,,,
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
http://www.la-toussuire.com/fr/index.aspx
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

but is anywhere in france pretty much snow-sure.

no, France as a whole is no more or less snowsure than anywhere else, but end January is a very good time to go and you'd be unlucky to find poor snow in the main Alpine areas - if it's warm (or very dry) might be a bit threadbare in some lower areas. Lots of places have snow cannons now, so they can keep (some of the) pistes snowy provided the weather isn't too warm, though artificial snow is not a patch on the real thing it's better than a patch of grass.

Flaine and Morzine are both pretty big, popular, mainstream, resorts set in large interlinked ski areas. Marginally cheaper than val D'Isere, but there won't be a great deal in it. Smaller, lower profile French resorts will be significantly cheaper (for the odd coffees, beers, lunches etc) but tend to have mostly French family skiers (or Dutch or Belgian or Italian families sometimes), and they don't roister around getting drunk and dancing on tables - a primarily French, small, resort, will probably be quiet as the grave by 10 pm. Ours is, but that's the way we like it. wink

If you want smaller, and not too expensive, but with some more lively nightlife you might be better off looking in Austria (e.g. Mayrhofen). Are you dead set on France?

What kind of nightlife are you looking for (even the smaller resorts will have a selection of bars and restaurants) ? And what kind of accommodation?

In most of the Alpine areas, most of the time, you'll find it quite a bit better for skiing than Bulgaria, judging by the reports here about Bulgaria.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Actually, Mayrhofen isn't very small - there are lots of smaller places but some of them will be very quiet.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Ellmau, Going, Sheffau would give access to the Skiwelt and be cheaper and less rowdy than Soll. For france, basically go to the local travel agent, look at all the resorts they list (in the main) and discount those for cheap skiing and expect that the others will be less british over the winter and in the main less of a rip-off and probably offer side door access to a reasonable linked area of skiing. Les Sybelles is a good example...

Also cost is largely determined by how much effort you put in to organising something...leave it to a TO and expect to pay for it, do some research yourself and in many cases you can make significant savings. At the end of January you should have no issues finding accommodation, snow and a good deal in my experience.

Good luck
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Jon Ford, go to La Rosiere, its in the same valley as Val d'Isere, Tignes and Les Arcs but the lift pass is less expensive, it has a terrific snow record, always in the top 5 French resorts for snow cover, there are lots of self catering appartments in the village, food and drink are not nearly as expensive as in the mega resorts nearby, the village is small and friendly, it's at 1850 metres so very snow sure and it's ski area is shared with La Thuile in Italy so you get the added bonus of skiing in 2 countries. You'll find lots of information on www.larosiere.net the Tourist Office website.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
It's not to difficult to find what you're looking for. But prepare, once you get off the beaten (by tour operators) track, you may need to read and speak a little french.

There's lots of less known resorts that have very good skiing. some examples:
- Peisey and Vallandry - connected to les arcs area
- Saint Sorlin (250+ km area but beware many tow lifts)
- Valloire (real authentic village, 150+ km area with Valmeinier)
- Val Cenis
- Vaujany & Oz in the Alpe d'Huez area

just to name a few
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Valmorel is a nice French resort, in the Tarentaise near to the 3 Valleys but quieter and probably a bit cheaper. British tour ops do go there but I think it is often overlooked in favour of the larger resorts nearby. Valmorel was the first French resort I went to (many years ago...) before becoming more ambitious (and earning more wink ) and moving on to Tignes / ValD / Meribel / Chamonix etc.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I've been to St Sorlin and the wider Les Sybelles area would suit. There are a couple of resorts around Grenoble, Chamrousse and Les Sept Laux which would fit the bill. I've also been to the Pyrenees, far cheaper.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
There are loads of small, little known, French resorts with excellent skiing. It was the OP's wish for "night life" better than that available in Flaine and Montgenevre which had me wondering.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
thanks for all the advice. As long as there are a few bars and things to do off slope (ie dog sledding, ski-doos), Flaine sounds V nice (and the Appt we have a deal on looks great). Dont need hustle & bustle of Val D', as one is a complete beginner, so amount of runs will be wasted on her, but we are young ad would like some drinks etc after. Thanks again
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Flaine is one of the bigger and better known resorts, Not cheap though. Last time I ate a (v basic) lunch on the slope there I was a bit shocked at the price - and I spend most of the winter in a French resort. If you have an apartment and buy your beers in (and maybe go back to the apartment for lunch) you'll be fine. if you drink more than very, very, moderately in bars, or want to buy yourselves a substantial lunch on the slopes each day, you'll spend a lot more than your apartment will cost you.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
We are going to Courchevel 1650 this year and are going to try self catering to see if we can save some cash.

Went to Tignes last year and spent a fortune!!
snow report
Well you should certainly save cash if by self-catering you mean self catering - especially if you do some forward planning and take some food basics with you. Often is just means renting an apartment and trying a different resto every evening. Very nice too, but it's stretching the language to call it self-catering. Laughing proper self-catering will save you money, but the change of resort makes no difference - self catering is cheaper in tignes, too. The 3 Valleys and the Espace Killy are probably the most expensive resorts in France and possibly in Europe. We spent a week in Courchevel 1650 a few years ago, followed by a week in a small French resorts where a coffee or hot chocolate on the slope was literally half the price.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy