Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

St Jean D'Aulps and Morzine

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi guys,

Just really looking for some information on St Jean D'Aulps for anyone who has visited there. We are a group of 11 traveling for the new year break. We are hard skiers who like nothing more than being up for the 8am lift, but we also occasionally like the odd heavy night out. Madeye-Smiley Whilst we always appreciate the quiet village bars (previous regulars to Les Carroz), the apeal of Morzine for the odd night is quite tempting.

What I'm wondering is if anyone has experienced the same, and could advise the best way to get from SJDA to Morzine after the ski bus finishes, or if its worth just sticking around and enjoying the local life in SJDA. Also, any feedback on the local restaurants/bars nearby in SJDA?

Also, what are the links like to go skiing for the bigger area? We don't have a car and will be ski bussing around with our Portes ski pass!

Really looking forward to the trip this NY. Any feedback about the resort and links would be great Very Happy
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Welcome to snowHeads jciomski.

St Jean is about 5km from Morzine. The local ski area, La Grande Turche, is completely separate from Morzine and the rest of the PDS - although it's on the area pass.

How easy it is to get to Morzine depends on where you are staying. If you're staying at La Grande Turche then it's going to be painful to get to Morzine. Similarly, if you're staying in accommodation that is more than a 10-15 minute walk from town then it could be quite painful to get around.

If you're staying in St Jean itself then it's easier as there's a regular ski bus (Ballad d'Aulp service) to Morzine, which is 1 euro each way. I don't know when they start or end.

There are taxis from the centre of Morzine, but they are nose-bleedinginly expensive. A 10 minute journey is about 10 euros. I always feel violated when I use one.

St Jean itself has a really good pub that sells excellent pizza (Bar National) and at least two other good restaurants - Armandier and the Red Cock. Armandier is very, very good.

La Grande Turche has a variety of eateries. The only one I've been in Pere Bill's, which is very competent and does a good range of food.

To be honest, St Jean isn't a good base for the rest of the PDS unless you're either in the centre of the village; have your own transport or are staying somewhere where they will minibus you to the lifts (most chalets do).

Don't get me wrong, it's a great village. But convenient for the main PDS circuit it's not.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
jciomski, wot the FSi said. Does your accomodation provide a bus service? Many of the SJd'A folks do. Otherwise, you will find it a bit tricky to get around and I do hope that doesn't colour your opinion of the PDS.

On a brighter note, if there's a nice powder dump the Grande Turche will have almost no-one there so you'll get freshies for at least the whole day.

The Nationale (Bar Nash) certainly used to do great pizza and the Amondolier is indeed very, very excellent.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hi guys, thanks for the feedback!

We are in a self catering chalet so doing everything ourselves, but the owner mentioned that we are just on the outskirts of the town, with a bus stop just outside the chalet.

Don't get me wrong, this is going to be by far and away the best trip we have organised, mainly because the accomodation looks fantastic. I was just wondering if it was possible to get to Morzine for a few scoops one night and not face the possiblity of either joining the sunrise/morning ski bus club.

New year will be awesome out there as well, so all we need now is that massive dump to get the most out of the local area Smile
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy