Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

SkiWelt Alpeniglu question

Poster: A snowHead
Getting right excited about my short break in Scheffau now (19 days and counting). Assuming my beginner friend can still come with me (looking a bit 50:50 at the moment), she really wants to visit the igloo at Brixen. I can see where this is on the piste map, but it's not altogether clear whether we can get there using only blue runs (or very easy red runs). It's her first ski holiday so she won't be tackling anything tricky and she'll also be rather slow. Can anyone who knows the area confirm if it's feasible for a beginner to get from Scheffau to the igloo and back?

I realise I can do a reccie myself whilst she is at ski school, but it would be nice to know up front if it is even worth considering.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
queen bodecia, think you can do it using blues but I'd have to check the map. Espri is the one with the real inside knowledge as this is his "backyard".

Try looking for blue runs to the top of the Brixen gondola as it is on the plateau there. Most of the reds are relatively easy because they are nice and open as well as wide. The best way to be sure if she can make it is for her to ask her instructor after the second or third day as they will a) know if she is capable and b) know the best route for the conditions.

When is it you come out queen bodecia? I promised to meet up with you and ski if I could. Work is easing off a bit so I may be able to juggle a couple of days free if I have the exact dates.

Sue wink
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks Samerberg Sue, I've been looking at the piste map but it seems a bit confusing, no easy way of telling which direction the runs go. I'm sure it will all make sense once I get there.

I'm there 4th-8th January and there's a chance I may be by myself if my friend can't make it (which would be a huge shame since she's fully paid up, not to mention the lessons in the UK).

I'll drop you a note with my number nearer the time. If that week is no good I'm in Kitzbuhel from 5th-12th March.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I managed to ski pretty much mall of the area last year on my 2nd week skiing, but I recognise there's still a big difference between absolute beginner and one week skier. If I remember correctly from Scheffau you'll need to get to the top of the Eiberg before dropping down to go up onto Zinsberg, then from the Zinsberg it should be relatively easy. The problem may be getting down the Eiberg.

Also a few of the runs criss cross, so you could easily find yourself wandering down the least direct branch which may get a bit trickier.

But then the snow was a bit patchy in places when we were there and a few runs were closed, these could make it a bit easier (or tougher).

If you can't work out the direction of some of the slopes, it might be worth checking them out on Google Earth at least then you'll see them in 3D. From Scheffau I think you need to go down 64, take lift 67/68 which are side by side. Down 70 which is a red, then take the 70 lift up, down 2a which takes you Hochbrixen where the Igloo is.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
hammerite, thanks, that's a good idea. Google earth doesn't work on my Mac at home, but it might on my Mac at work. Will have a look tomorrow. I confess I'm rather confused by the piste map.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
It's a bit easier to understand once you are there, the run number usually corresponds with the same number lift at the bottom, so for example there might be multiple routes down, to the same lift usually with the same number, but with a, b, c etc... The direction the chair logo is facing means that's going up in that direction (this is the same on most piste maps though isn't it?).

It's a fantastic place to ski though, we loved it.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
queen bodecia, It should be possible. Assuming it is in the same place as last tyear, when Iskied past it with Espri and Samerberg_Sue, having started from Scheffau.

While we did go down Red 71 (which is a fairly easy red), that can be avoided by taking blue 70 from the top of the Eiberg, then lift 70 to the top of the Zinsberg, from which you are looking for Blue 2 which runs down to the top of the Brixen gondola, with the igloo on the right shortly before you reach the gondola.

Coming back, take the lift that goes back up over the last run you came down, look for the blue off to the right of that which gets you down to lift 6, which takes you back to the top of the Zinsberg, then the blue down to the bottom of lift 65 (no need to get to the Eiberg on the way back, that blue goes around it, but is pretty shallow in places IIRC - you will need to keep some speed up if you don't want to be pushing).
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
alex_heney, hammerite, thanks for that. That seems to make sense from the piste map (which would make far more sense if it had arrows on it!).
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
The 2004 piste map did have one side with a top down view and the pistes were all marked with arrows, as were the lifts which made it very easy to work out a route.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
FenlandSkier, I don't think I have the best piste map here, it's just one I've downloaded from t'internet. Maybe I should stop being so hasty and wait until I get there. Very Happy
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Hello, queen bodecia. alex_heney's suggestions sound good. In more detail, the route I would take from Scheffau would be:
a) up the cable-car 61/62.
b) down alongside the Osthanglift, 64, on blue piste 64 to the foot of the Eiberg lifts.
c) up the Eiberg lifts, 67 or 68.
d) across the blue 71a and red 71 to take the Aualm lift to the top of the Zinsberg (the blue 70 that Alex mention's isn't on the map I downloaded but I can vaguely remember a piste that leads to the Muldenbahn 70).
e) then down the blue 2a to Hochbrixen.

Should all be possible for a reasonably confident beginner after a week. Hope you enjoy your visit - maybe we can all meet up.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
espri, thanks for that. She'll be on her first ski trip so might be a bit of a tall order for her, but I can scope it out whilst she's at ski school.

A meet up sounds good. I may even be there alone.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
espri, just one thing, the piste map looks as though there might be a blue piste 66a from piste 64 down to the bottom of the Zinsberg lift, this seems to cut out the Eiberg section, but it has arrows in both directions between the bottom of lifts 66 and 71. This is where I started getting confused unless it's a flat piste and you can pole along in either direction. Any ideas?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I have never actually skied the piste/track 66a but I think it wouldn't be very steep (it goes across the face of the hill, I presume, where I've sometimes gone down the 68a in the other direction). The track joining lifts 66 and 71 is pretty flat (I've only ever skied from 66 to 71) and would involve poling, particularly for a beginner who didn't get up enough speed to start with. A lot would depend on how your friend takes to skiing. If she is confident, then any route would probably be ok; if she is nervous, it would be quite a strenuous journey - and you have to get back again.

For the return journey I would suggest lifts 8 (that's the Wurstlexpress - a short plate tow), 3, 6 (the hut 42 is attractive for a break, if you have time) and 64. You can always take the cable-car back down to Scheffau (62/61 or 60) once you reach the Brandstadl, if you don't fancy the home run.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
espri, thanks very much, all that makes sense from looking at the piste map. I'm normally pretty good at navigating round a new area.

I really hope my friend can come, she really enjoyed her lessons at Tamworth and I think she'll get bitten by the bug easily. I'll keep you all posted. Very Happy
ski holidays
When we were out there the run down to Scheffau would've been the most difficult of all of those suggested by espri, but I think this was more to do with a lack of snow on the alternative 61 route so we had to head straight down the short black section. It wasn't terribly tough, but I don't think I'd fancy it in my first week.
ski holidays
hammerite, fortunately the snow looks really great there at the moment. I hope it lasts. Very Happy
snow conditions
Yep it does! We flew out on 26th Dec, it'd been -15C all the week before and relatively fresh snow. It was 5C some days when we were there, and whilst it snowed on the tops when we were up there it was raining in the village which cleared out most of the snow for the village runs (Ellmau). There was still plenty to have fun on once we'd gone up the funicular.

You should have absolutely no problems.

I'd almost be jealous, but we fly out to L2A on Monday Very Happy
ski holidays
hammerite, enjoy!

I'm not off to Scheffau until 4th Jan. Can't come soon enough! Very Happy
latest report
Thanks.

I'd be all over the http://austrianfood.buyorderonlineshopping.com/images/tirolergrostl.jpg and http://www.marions-kochbuch.com/food-pic/kaiserschmarrn.jpg if I was heading out!
snow report
queen bodecia, I'll contact you on the 5th - can't ski the 6th as I have to go to Munich but can all day on the 7th if you want to meet up.

Just need to know your hotel as I have all the numbers anyway. It only takes me 25 minutes to drive over. Laughing

I'm off skiing with flangesax and kooky tomorrow in Wagrain (Salzburgerland) and hope to be skiing with Espri and friends on the 29th in either Kitz or Saalbach. I have a season ticket for all the Salzburgerland resorts plus some like Kitz which is right on the border.

Toofy Grin
snow report
Samerberg Sue, I want your life! lol! Very Happy

I'm staying at the Waldrand in Scheffau. Will PM you my number before I leave. Would be great to meet up. Very Happy
ski holidays
queen bodecia, will do - kooky might come along too if she can get the time off work wink
latest report
Samerberg Sue, that would be cool. My friend won't know what's hit her! Laughing
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy