Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Time to grow a pair - an update

Poster: A snowHead
For my upcoming Chamonix trip, I've booked a private lesson to learn to 'ski steeps with good technique.'
Received confirmation today that all is booked and I must meet my instructor at the bottom of the Lognan lift at Grand Montets.

Holy mother of god, the steeps at Brévent will suffice for someone of my level - never mind the some of the nasties at GM Shocked

I know, I know, I need to WTFU. And I will. I have the same instructor booked a few days later for some basic off piste stuff. I suspect he's going to be the first man to ever scare the bejesus out of me.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Thu 6-01-11 21:32; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Zero-G, You'll be fine. Given my trip to that area with a guide a couple of years ago there seemed to be plenty that wasn't steep. I think we only skied 1 pitch that was reasonably interesting.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
why not do the classes the other way round, then he can get a good look at your skiing on the basic off piste stuff before taking you onto steeper stuff for the steeps course?

what firm you using?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
most of the main routes on the GM are long and quite steep - the cool thing about that mountain is that from the top you have a vertical drop of 1200m ish to Lognan which is pretty consistently 30* or so. lots of fun on a powder day. you can certainly find very steep stuff on there, but there are huge areas to ski without it being silly
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I know GM well - have skied it quite a lot but its steeper runs always get the better of me (that's when I stop using edges and revert to skiing with flat bases), hence the need for lessons.

I suppose I expected to be doing the lessons on slightly less steep steeps. Although, that's not logical... rolling eyes

shoogly, I'm booked with Evolution2. Have used them every time I've been to Chamonix, except last April (when I used ESF and was reminded of why I shouldn't use ESF). As for swapping the classes around, I'd rather get the hairy stuff out of the way first so that the rest will seem like a doddle.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:
I suppose I expected to be doing the lessons on slightly less steep steeps. Although, that's not logical... rolling eyes

less steep to learn new skill sounds logical to me.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Zero-G, excuse patronising post! wink
he'll probably get you on Bochard or that blue run in the trees before he pushes you off the deep end Skullie
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
No worries Arno, I didn't read it that way!

That bullet-proof section of the red of the Bochard (just after it splits, with the left bit joining that wide, slanty blue) always gets my heart racing. What is it about that little section? Does it have some freakish freeze-melt cycle? I've seen really experienced skiers and boarders struggle on that section. I once saw some hardcore-looking off piste boarders (complete with full avi and crevasse accessory set) come down that section on their hands and board edges, like catepillars.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Zero-G, any decent instructor will get an idea of how you ski before taking you somewhere insane.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Zero-G,
Quote:

I've seen really experienced skiers and boarders struggle on that section.
Oh good, glad it's not just me. It's only ever been sheet ice when I've been on it.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

any decent instructor will get an idea of how you ski before taking you somewhere insane.

of course they will. It'll be great, Zero-G. I (almost...) envy you.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
pam w, I almost envy me to... Toofy Grin
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Zero-G, You have just managed to convince me not to ask my private instructor next January to help me ski steeps with confidence Shocked I think I'll stick to telling him that my shoulders do strange things on short turns. Laughing
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Zero-G, You will have to report back on how you stop on the steeps.
Whenever I look up at a really steep bit. It amazes me when someone pelts down only to come to a nice stop to have a look at the scenery. Shocked
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
BobinCH did a steeps course with Remy last season, sounded fun.
ski holidays
ph, wait... I have to learn to stop? Shocked

Swirly, I think my lesson in steeps is going to be a far cry from what BobinCH did with Remy, which, I suspect, probably involved 50 degree pitches and jump turns...
latest report
Megamum wrote:
You have just managed to convince me not to ask my private instructor next January to help me ski steeps with confidence

After your high-speed run through that narrow tunnel between the poma and the barrier last week, I don't think you have much to worry about wink
snow report
Zero-G, Ssshhhhh............no-one is supposed to know about that Embarassed
snow report
Megamum, Laughing Laughing Laughing have you been out-ted? Laughing Laughing Laughing kudos!
snow report
Megamum, erm *cough*
ski holidays
Quote:

50 degree pitches and jump turns...

that's for next year, Zero-G.
snow conditions
Had the most exciting day of my life during my steeps lesson. It had been snowing non-stop for 3 days and we hit Grand Montets at 9am. We did a warmup run on a blue, which was completely empty and covered in light, fluffy boot cuff-deep powder. Wow, now I understand why people get up for the first lift!  

We then went down a red - again getting first tracks - and Michel (my crusty old instructor who is also a local mountain guide) talked me through some technique, showed me and then watched me ski it. At the end of the run he said we're ready to go steeper. It was while we were on the chair up the mountain that I mentioned I was booked on half day off piste session a few days later. His eyes lit up and said that we could try a little side-of-piste as a taster. Afterwards, I understood why he was so keen to abandon the steeps lesson and get off piste - the conditions were so good that it would have been criminal not to!

Well, we didn't quite stick to the side of the piste. After a few verbal instructions about skiing deep powder technique, we immediately veered way off piste, and did L'avancher (sp) in thigh-deep, light, fluffy powder. I had waves of snow flying past me and hitting my in the face, it was incredible. I fell a couple of times but sported the widest grin my by now completely numb face could bear. 

After that, it was back up another lift and then down through the trees, still in the same fluffy, deep powder with Michel setting a fast pace that had me bouncing over bumps and through trees, skiing like I never have before. Felt like I was in a ski movie and was the best 3 hours of my life as we did more of the same.

Four days later, I was back at Grand Montets for the off-piste session with a small group of very accomplished skiers and Robert, yet another crusty old local mountain guide (not sure what happened to Michel).

After we all described our skiing levels, I categorically stated that I would be the one in the group who would be falling over all the time. This time, conditions were variable because it hadn't snowed in four days and most of what we skied was hard or crusty.

We took the cable car up to the top, hiked down the stairs and dropped into the Argentierre bowl, where I had the second most exciting day of my life. I skied terrain that I had never imagined possible to ski. I learned to do jump turns on steep, hard-packed mogully bits (it was that or take my skis off and hike down the mountain). I traversed a pitch so steep that I could just about touch it with my hand while standing upright Shocked

I got stuck over a narrow crevasse and Robert watched impassively while I struggled but eventually succeeded in extricating myself from that little situation, and I accidentally skied off a small 3m-high cliff ("taking a shortcut" as Robert put it mildy), ruining the inside edge of one ski as I went over the rocky edge sideways, frantically trying to use a hockey stop. I will add, in my defence, that both getting stuck over the crevasse and skiing off the cliff were due to the woman in front of me stopping suddenly, causing me to veer off the line set by Robert. I was obviously following too closely, though Embarassed

Maybe it was ignorance or maybe it was blind faith in both guides' ability to ascertain whether I could cope with the terrain but I never felt unsafe, even if my adrenalin levels were pushed to the limit on both days.

So yes, a long blog, and I am unable to express what those two days have done for my skiing. I think I have been spoiled now and just want more of the same. The adventure of it all is indescribable and I am hooked. The remaining five days of the trip did not bring any more snow, so I have now learned to ski bullet-proof and icy terrain - not yet with style but I'm getting there. And I'm going back for more in four weeks' time. Toofy Grin
latest report
Zero-G, nice one - and a quality post snowHead
snow report
Zero-G, Sounds like an epic time.
snow conditions
cad99uk, probably not particularly epic in the greater scheme of things but to a relatively newbie skier (with only 9 weeks under the belt over three years) it certainly felt that way.

God help the pedant in me but I had to edit the typo.

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Thu 6-01-11 22:33; edited 1 time in total
latest report
Zero-G, Don't tell everyone about the magic of first lifts on a powder day though Laughing
snow report
Zero-G, Sounds fantastic. What a way to improve fast!
snow report
read your post and it reminds me why I love the mountains and snowboarding - that feeling of adrenalin and the biggest smile possible on your face!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Zero-G, stoke!!!!
ski holidays
Zero-G, way to go girl...........time is your friend too, believe in yourself xx
snow conditions
Zero-G, sounds cool! Toofy Grin What next? wink
snow conditions
Zero-G, like like like like like!!! so glad you've had a good time. snowHead
snow report
andyph wrote:
Zero-G, sounds cool! Toofy Grin What next? wink
Maybe next time I'll wear a helmet Wink
ski holidays
Zero-G, wow. Brilliant.
ski holidays
Zero-G, What an incredible success - just a few hours in the right place, with the right instructor/guide, can make such a huge difference. Fantastic - inspiring post!
latest report
Zero-G, fantastic! I want to grow a pair like yours! Toofy Grin
snow report
you grew them man... you grew them Very Happy

sounds excellent, especially the first lesson!

you have just reminded me to get my lessons booked with New Gen for when we're out in the alps. Very Happy
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy