Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Questionnaires for my dissertation

Poster: A snowHead
Hi Guys
I'm a student (& skier) studying at the University of Birmingham and am looking into the changes in demand in the UK market, If you have 1 minute spare it would be great if you could answer my quick questionnaire, it would really help me out with my dissertation:

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/ZMS3DBT

Thanks, Sam
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Sketchysam, done. (though not everyone who goes to the slopes is a skier wink. )
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Sketchysam, done (though, like the man says, not everyone who goes to the slopes is a skier)
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Sorry guys, meant to say skiers and boarders, didn't mean to offend Little Angel
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Sketchysam, done (though, like the woman says, not everyone who goes to the slopes is a skier)
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Good luck with your dissertation Sketchysam. You may find a quick enslaught of survey experts rip into you very soon.. be prepared... be very prepared! And welcome to snowHead 's

I filled it in... but I don't live in the UK, I don't go on ski holidays as I live in the Austrian Alps. Interesting choice of areas... with a very heavy French bias...
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Done, but truthfully a bit weird!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
done as well...

my last two ski resorts visited were Cairngorm and Glenshee - kind of irrelevant to you i guess and it was pretty straighforward to select "still ski" as the answer for all of the global warming related questions.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
done, better than most surveys we have had on here !!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Done, but response to global warming would depend if I could find better elsewhere within budget and how much, in practice, 30% snow loss (for example) reduced the skiing available.
Not sure what you meant by "Altitude" as a factor as you already had "snow reliability". Altitude is just an unreliable guide to snow reliability isn't it?

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Wed 15-12-10 15:44; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Done but not quite sure what sense your results are going to make ... and not just my responses.

Qute a few of the responses are dependent on way too many other variables.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Done, like others the global warming effect would be variable since to date global warming hasn't altered my desire to go skiing although it has probably affected the conditions in which I ski. I guess I consider altitude a little more now, unconsciously I guess that's a response to the impact of climate change.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Altitude and snow reliability are two very different things. For example the altitude of many of the Austrian resorts would result in very little snow in France.

Anyway, I've done it, for what it's worth. Bit too biased towards France in my opinion.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Did it even as a Brit in exile halfway between UK and the alps. Also agree about the points made above about altitude and french bias, but then I don't know what the intention of the survey is. Global warming? Well that's my job and pays my salary... so bring it on Smile Twisted Evil
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Done
snow report
Done
snow conditions
Done but I think the whole global warming affecting skiing is a bit knee jerk. Had plenty of good/bad/indifferent seasons since the 70s. I honestly haven't seen a huge change other than seeing the glaciers retreating in line with my wallet.
latest report
Quote:

Not sure what you meant by "Altitude" as a factor as you already had "snow reliability". Altitude is just an unreliable guide to snow reliability isn't it?

But the survey was, at least, mercifully brief. And the "altitude" and "snow reliability" question could, actually, be interesting. I had the same dilemma - I said snow reliability was of top importance - so given that, I wouldn't care in the least what altitude something was (though I would prefer it not to be too high). We all know altitude is an unreliable guide to snow reliability, being such knowledgeable and sophisticated holidaymakers wink, But if the dissertation is about perception, rather than reality, it might find that altitude is frightfully important to lots of people. Which might give some useful pointers for marketing emphasis for lower altitude places.
snow report
Done,
But alot of where we go skiing depends on availability of good childcare
ski holidays
Rather put off by the lack of offensive questions about my attitude to queers, swinging etc. Are you sure you're a student pollster?
ski holidays
Quote:

alot of where we go skiing depends on availability of good childcare

I suppose that comes under "village facilities". I had no problem deciding what was least important - apres ski. We spent weeks on end in a place with practically none - we make it ourselves.
latest report
Quote:

But the survey was, at least, mercifully brief.
because he was too busy rioting?

pam w, you're right about the snow reliability v altitude thing but the media have been going overboard about altitude ever since the words global and warming were ever used together. So, altitude = good snow is THE perception even though it's not true.

The survey made no mention of that magic mystery ingredient, Gemütlichkeit.
snow conditions
I very nearly gave a bunch of rubbish results for the last question, given that initially I marked those that I thought important with a 9, when by design it should have been 1 Embarassed
ski holidays
Chattonmill wrote:

Agree.

Done.
ski holidays
Done, but it's not that straight forward is it? Size of resort is important as is price and altitude and snow sureness, but you have to weight them on availabilty and amount of beer money available minus how many trips already x time since last trip^2. But then there's the been there before factor, and not sure where that fits in.

But given the latest global warming and the snow we've had, bring it on... and at least I'll never have to visit Tenerife again... Blush
snow report
WayneC, Yes, and if the Gulf Stream slows and cools any more we'll all be pefectly happy in The Lake District and Snowdonia (ah that famous Llanberis apres ski) and Liverpool/Manchester will be the new Geneva/Zurich
latest report
one of the better designed ones we have been asked to do.
snow report
Done, but information level is very shallow, I can't imaging getting enough out of that for a dissertation Confused

Oh and how sad is it to rate 'nightlife' as the least important Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Masque, but people's perceptions often are rather shallow. That's the point, presumably?

Did you rate nightlife least important too? Laughing
snow report
Masque, pam w, I did too. Can't be doing with a late night and sore head getting in the way of making the first lift!
ski holidays
stoatsbrother wrote:
one of the better designed ones we have been asked to do.

Well it was quick!

And "Nightlife" is what you make of it! wink
snow report
Chattonmill wrote:

indeed. i r confuddled by much of it. & some bits I couldn't answer!
snow report
Done too, what about currency expectations? I'm not going to Switzerland this year as the chf makes it too exy!!
snow report
maggi wrote:
And "Nightlife" is what you make of it! wink

But finger cramps from hanging onto ski-poles boogers that up . . . going back to boarding wink
snow conditions
Sketchysam, done, I like the hypothetical ref to climate change, are you are doing climatology? or Geography?

Of course Climate change is an ever evolving cyclical status, only within the last 30 years has this become synonymous with Global warming wink

Before this academia were more interested in how to avoid the next ice age. Shocked Shocked
snow report
I agree about the comments above about altitude - and Bode Swiller's commetn about convivial ambience being important - but completed survey
snow report
Done, hope I understood it well enough for my results to be meaningful.

All the best with the dissertation.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy