Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski boot crampons

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
As the title suggests I'm looking for crampons for my ski boots. Are adapters available to clip onto ski boots rather than strap on?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Basically, you have two sorts of crampons. One are "automatic" ones, and can "clip" on ski boot (or mountaineering boots which are made for using such crampons), and they are like this:
http://www.abc-of-mountaineering.com/images/content-images/article-206-1.gif
Other ones fit to all boots (including ski boots) and look like this:
http://www.backcountrygear.com/images/StubaiUltralightUniversalbig.jpg
Considering crampons are obligatory for all on-course photographers on skiing WC, this means I spend quite some time with crampons on (on ski boots). So I rather paid a bit more and got "automatic" ones. They are easier to put on and take off, they stay on boot much better, but you are limited to only shoes/boots, which are meant to be used with such crampons. If you would like to use them with whatever boot, then second option is only way to go.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Downhill ski boots are not good crampon platforms.
The sole unit being narrow does not provide proper support for a crampon. The forward lean of the boot and lack of angle movement can easy lead to getting tripped up.

If you're going into terrain where crampons are needed, I'd strongly advise you get a ski-mountaining boot with a proper sole unit and ability to unclip from forward lean.

e.g.

If you take your boots to a decent climbing/mountaineering shop and go with the advice you get.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Tue 21-12-10 16:01; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

Downhill ski boots are not good crampon platforms.
The sole unit being narrow does not provide proper support for a crampon. The forward lean of the boot and lack of angle movement can easy lead to getting tripped up.

I've had no problems using Grivel Rambo crampons on Lange Comp 120s on the few occasions I've had to.

Take your boots into a climbing shop and try the crampons on the boots. Some will fit better than others.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Nick-o, just saw your location. Go see the guys in Up and Under on Cowbridge Road - they know their stuff. Any of the gang there could help you, although Richard and Dave B have particular experience in things like this.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I find the old Grivel 2Fs to fit perfect on my downhill boots... the pie cutter frame fits well on the sole. Forward lean is a bit weird though.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy