Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Are any of the Scottish Areas open on Xmas Day?

Poster: A snowHead
Thanks
Viks
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I don't think so to be honest, certainly Cairngorm is closed.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
nope, snow will be there though and the hills will be generally pretty busy
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
It's a joke really. You do get the impression that they don't actually want to make money in Scotland.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
rambotion, hardly, 1 scheduled closed day in the season aint too bad, you must be pretty impressionable to get there from that
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
You also have to consider how much of a market there would be for skiing on Christmas Day. Only if it were evident that there was a large market would the decision to close be questionable.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
it never occurred to me that they wouldn't be open. It's a public holiday, there's snow on the ground, why would they *not* be open? We're off to la plagne next week, if the lifts are shut there on christmas day I'm going to be pretty bloody annyoed I tell thee!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
The decision to close is the decision to close and has always been the same as far as I can recall, perhaps back in the original boom times in the 70s it was different but now, perhaps as a result of the downturn in the early naughties, it's diiferent. Whilst personally I'd love to do some skiing on Xmas day (but not instructing) I have no particular complaints at having a day off to spend with the family (in fact I'd be hung, drawn and quartered if I didn't). However I can understand people's frustration at this being the way it is and I guess some people, who don't have the same commitments as I do, being happy to work that day in ski school and running the mountain but I'm just guessing.

ccl, the market last Xmas was big, very big, and I'm guessing it'll be even bigger this year, just check out the number of questions about Scottish skiing here recently. I don't think it's got anything to do with the market to be honest more to do with what's been traditional for the past few years at the Scottish ski areas.

nbt, yeah but you're a skiing keener NehNeh Wink
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
rambotion wrote:
It's a joke really. You do get the impression that they don't actually want to make money in Scotland.

We were at Cairngorm on Boxing day last year and there was probably only around 200 people on the hill. Perfect snow, clear day, views to Norway* but iirc, only about half the car park was used! How can they justify opening on Xmas day when it's that quiet on boxing day with those conditions?

*so some people claimed at the time rolling eyes
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
rambotion wrote:

Scottish resorts don't have a large, captive audience living on the slopes who have already bought week-long ski passes. Numbers would be low and it would be unfair to the staff who might not want to work Christmas day on an empty mountain.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks guys, we are planning on being up there in our motorhome with the 3 kids and was hoping it was open, but not to worry, sledging it will be!
Now I've got to convince the kids Santa will know to come to the van and not the house......
Viksxx
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
viks10, where are you parking up? If it's around glenmore then santa will be in the reindeer centre in the days running up to Christmas, so you could tell the weans you popped in and had a word Laughing
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Don't forget the parade in Aviemore on Xmas eve either - Santa with reindeer, then some carols and then fireworks, it'd great with the kids. Very Happy
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Practically everything in the whole country is closed on Christmas Day - that's the way it is. Like shops being closed in France on Sundays. It seems completely unreasonable to expect ski slopes to be open, against that background. Sure it's a seasonal activity, but so is ice skating. Ski slopes in Europe open because they make shedloads of dosh at christmas, not as a public service.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
rambotion, just out of interest, is Sheffield Ski Village open on Xmas Day or Boxing Day wink
ski holidays
rambotion, everyone in Scotland is entitled to Christmas day off, including ski centre staff. Don't think it's too much to ask.
Most people i know who Ski or Board will spend Christmas day with family then head up to Ski/Board on Boxing day.
snow report
What about New Years Day ? more of holiday here in Scotland than Christmas tbh.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy