Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Stupid question - Swiss Francs or Euros ?

Poster: A snowHead
Dont think ive ski'd in Switzerland before, but wilul be in Jan

Am i better off getting Euros or CHF ?

Apologies if that's a really stupid question
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Swiss Francs definitely. Lots of places will take euros but won't give you a great rate. If you're going to a resort where you can ski into France, Italy or Austria take some euros too.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The Clue is in your question.

The Swiss Franc is the currency in Switzerland.

You may be able to spend Euros but don't expect a fantastic rate.

Not a stupid question, people arrive with euros every week.

You will love it here
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
i know - ive got so used to just recylciing our sumr holiday euros to winter holiday euros that the thought of a proper currency hadnt occurred to me !
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
CHF !

I hope you are going somewhere nice ?
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
If you have euros it might be worth checking which is the better exchange rate. GBP to CHF or Euro to CHF
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
or gold bars wink
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
IME the Swiss will take anything in payment. But if it's anything other than CHF (whether you pay by cash or plastic) it will be an appalling exchange rate.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Even at the bar at Geneva airport they won't take Euros!
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Unfortunately the Pound is particularly weak against the Swissie at the moment (which makes things even more expensive then normal) so lets hope sterling strengthens between now and Jan.

Notwithstanding the cost, I'm sure you'll have a great time - where you going?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Only place in Switzerland I'd use Euros is the Swiss part of PdS. Even then you probably get change back in CHF. Not a brilliant exchange rate, but it's usually pretty much fixed (handy when the rate is 1.5 although not sure what it is at present). So much for single European currency - I still end up keeping a stash of 3 currencies rolling eyes
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
snowball,
Quote:

Even at the bar at Geneva airport they won't take Euros!

Yes they will - or they did in March Confused

I'd take CHF and euro but I would only carry a bit of each currency since I tend to pay by card or use ATMs if I need cash.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
snowball,

Since when? I went in February and Euros were fine.

We had lunch in a restaurant on the Swiss side of the PdS one afternoon and although we could pay in Euros (and receive change in Euros), it was more expensive than the piste restaurants on the French side.

Whether this was to do with the Swiss giving us a poor rate for our Euro or if it was just an expensive restaurant in general I'm not sure.

I'm under the impression that Switzerland is notoriously expensive anyway, so to make the costs bareable I'd use their currency. The likelyhood is that the businesses in Switzerland will charge some form of commission on purchases made with the Euro as a form of admin charge.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Switzerland was no dearer, in fact cheaper, than France when it was over 2CHF to the £. Exchange rates seem to have suffered even more than the euro recently though. Unless you're eating out in more expensive resorts food is probably similarly priced to France and beer cheaper. If you are taking youngsters cheaper child lift passes and transport are helpful too. Don't even think about buying clothes though.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
This was a few years ago and more than once. I suppose I may have remembered wrong and perhaps they only took notes and gave change in CHF, like in the airport shops. Perhaps I only had a large note and change.
Now you have got me doubting my memory! I do remember saying it seemed silly they didn't take Euros right by the border in an airport and was told "this is Switzerland and our currency is not the Euro". I was always taking the late flights when most things in the airport were closed and it was very hard to get anything to eat - even an old sandwich. There was no restaurant open, just a bar with snacks and after a while they always ran out of everything, which also seemed silly when there were loads of customers milling around wanting an evening meal after skiing.

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Wed 15-12-10 14:21; edited 2 times in total
latest report
sev112, Also Swiss Francs will be much safer if the much vaunted collapse of the Euro system occurs while you are on holiday. Toofy Grin
latest report
some good advice - thanks all

we'ew off to Saas Fee , which appears to be a rather pretty place and sufficienlty high to be snow sure.

It's a relaxing trip skiing wise, with a 7 year old in tow Smile
ski holidays
sev112, Enjoy Saas Fee, it is a pretty resort with spectacular glaciers. Two tips :-

1. try the Gletschergrotte restaurant which is off the blue run back to the village and get a bit of speed up to negotiate the path through the trees from the piste.

2. When going up the funicular (MetroAlpin) climb up to the front of the train at the base station. It's a real slog to climb the stairs at the top station at about 3600m. Shocked
snow report
sev112 wrote:

You've clearly not met my 7yo. At that age, he was looking for bumpy/offpiste/tree routes down the mountain - and like a fool I'd agree and follow him. Anything but relaxing.

Two years later, he's still looking for such extreme lines, but I've learnt my lesson and take the easy route instead!
snow report
RobW, may be a girls vs boys thing Smile Ours last year very calmly ski'd us down the whole of the mountain in the wonderful style of an austrian ski teacher , checking we were following in a line

Was it not relaxing for you because you were worried about him hitting a tree or you ? Smile
ski holidays
sev112 wrote:
some good advice - thanks all

we'ew off to Saas Fee , which appears to be a rather pretty place and sufficienlty high to be snow sure.

lovely place...enjoy !
snow conditions
snowball wrote:
This was a few years ago and more than once. I suppose I may have remembered wrong and perhaps they only took notes and gave change in CHF, like in the airport shops. Perhaps I only had a large note and change.
Now you have got me doubting my memory! I do remember saying it seemed silly they didn't take Euros right by the border in an airport and was told "this is Switzerland and our currency is not the Euro"......

Pretty much how it was. Even now, it is sensible to have CHF with you.
snow conditions
sev112, If you're getting Swiss rail transfer tickets from the airport to resort, I'm pretty sure that children go free if accompanied by an adult. That's worth a few Euros.
snow conditions
DCG wrote:
sev112, If you're getting Swiss rail transfer tickets from the airport to resort, I'm pretty sure that children go free if accompanied by an adult. That's worth a few Euros.

http://rail.stc.co.uk/index.php
ski holidays
Get a decent Credit Card that doesn't charge commission on purchases abroad and use that whenever possible. The exchange rate you get will be closer to the Bank rate rather than the tourist rate. For example, I got 1.18 euros to the £ a week ago when then tourist rate was 1.11. Same applies to Switzerland where I go every year.
snow conditions
Quote:

Switzerland was no dearer, in fact cheaper, than France when it was over 2CHF to the £. Exchange rates seem to have suffered even more than the euro recently though. Unless you're eating out in more expensive resorts food is probably similarly priced to France and beer cheaper. If you are taking youngsters cheaper child lift passes and transport are helpful too. Don't even think about buying clothes though.

i found it (engelberg) all very expensive when i was there yesterday - more so than france (tignes) last week.
latest report
bythesea, try reading what he said again rolling eyes The exchange rate is particularly bad at the moment.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy