Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

New ‘Right to Ski’

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
From last Saturday (28th May) your right to enjoy the countryside took a significant change for the better. Here in the Yorkshire Dales for example the amount of land accessible on foot increased from just 4% on Friday to 63%, under the implementation of the Countryside and Rights of Way Act 2000. This is the culmination of a process that began with countryside access campaigns as long ago as the 1880s. Over the next 6 months the rest of Englands moors and heaths will also become accessible and no longer be the preserve of the few.

The Act permits access ‘on foot’ and whilst that includes climbing it excludes cycling, caving, hangliding and vehicles. However skiing, snowboarding and sledging are not mentioned as exclusions and from the legal opinions I’ve heard, I’m certain that the new access rights will extend to all forms of unpowered snow sports (conditions permitting!).

Whilst many countryside users have happily trespassed across the mountains and moors for years, we have not enjoyed a legal right to do so. From now on we can do it, over huge new areas, without fear of being challenged by an angry gamekeeper or farmer.

Admittedly the impact will probably be limited since most people naturally tend to follow existing paths and tracks. However as a skier I follow the snow so this legislation will be of direct benefit to me and make it easier for me to enjoy the hills.

For the first time I have the right to access all land above 2000’ as well as enormous tracts of England and Wales below that height. It’s less clear whether the Act gives me a right to operate a portable ski tow and whilst that would seem to go against the spirit of the legislation, it isn’t specifically excluded!

However while we should welcome this great new freedom to enjoy skiing on our hills it may perhaps be a little late coming, given the frustrations of climate change.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Thu 2-06-05 20:31; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I hadn't thought of the ski=ing aspect of the Act...
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Has anyone actually tried cross country skiing in England or Wales? How often is the snow cover good enough?

I've never really considered this before, but the Brecon Beacons are only 30-40 minutes drive for me. A new winter pastime might be about to emerge...
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

However skiing, snowboarding and sledging are not mentioned as exclusions and from the legal opinions I’ve heard, I’m certain that the new access rights will extend to all forms of unpowered snow sports

Well, until it's tested in Court that is.... at which point m'Lud will probably nip in the bud any ideas for "unpowered" snow sports activities if they're seen to be sufficently damaging to the countryside. My fear is that any cases that do end up being tested in the Courts will only do so because of some idiot on plank/s irresponsibly causing damage to a farmer's field.

Remember also that a farmer landowner can unilaterally chuck you off/prevent access along the right of way if it suits their crop/livestock rotation - a rambler's right to exercise the "right" of way isn't nearly as absolute as it appears....
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Jonny Jones,
Quote:

Has anyone actually tried cross country skiing in England or Wales? How often is the snow cover good enough?

If you check out this site
http://www.pennine.demon.co.uk/SkiGuide/Home.htm

you'll see that Andy has done quite a bit of cross country in the dales. He hasn't updated the site recently so I'm not sure how much he's done that last year or two. Next time I see him I'll have to ask.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Jonny Jones, I grew up in the Yorkshire Dales and used to go out occasionally with my Dad (around Settle/Malham and Ribblehead). I think you could say that we did it for the 'overall experience' and the craic rather that for real quality cross-country skiing (and we're not experts anyway). As the snow cover is pretty unpredictable it was always a case of doing it at the last minute. And as ever, 'it's not as good as it used to be...' 'back in the day' etc etc wink - It might be absolute rubbish but it does feel like we get less snow cover in the Dales these days- I doubt there would have been many skiable days this last winter.

Peter S, with disregard for access laws Sad (and good relationships with some local farmers) we used to go downhill skiing around the Dales too- again not with massively high expectations- just for a laugh...... there was a farmer up at Ribblehead who has a genny and used to let us rig-up a VERY shoddy tow. Aahh, good memories Very Happy Also in the Lake District- I've lugged my skis part way up Helvellyn (there's sometimes a tow nearby in the winter) for some pretty good skiing.

For something more organised Yad Moss near Alston in the north Pennines, puts up a tow most winters.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

I doubt there would have been many skiable days this last winter.

Had lots of snow in late Feb and early March, check out the reports and picture attachments http://www.winterhighland.info/forums/read.php?2,53708

And these were the conditions in the Lake District around Christmas
http://www.winterhighland.info/forums/read.php?2,51666

Unfortunately the savage thaw wiped out the best conditions for 10 years, but there was at least some great skiing over about 3 weeks.

Yad Moss also managed the last lift served skiing in the Uk this year Laughing
http://www.winterhighland.info/forums/read.php?2,54779
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Jonny Jones,

A friend showed me this a couple of weeks ago.

I'm about an hour 1/4 away from the Brecons. If only I'd known.

Next year I guess Smile
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Dave J, This used to be in my "backyard", but I only ever hiked up and around-never seen enough snow to consider skiing (till now) snowHead
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Dave J, awesome. I've often looked at the north face of Pen-y-Fan and thought, "If only..." That slope is seriously steep - you can't walk down it, and even the sheep give it a wide berth. The thought of boarding down it gives me the heebie-jeebies.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
You dont see any photos of fresh tracks in virgin snow there do you wink
I'd guess that its a bit sketchy and that you can only really ski in narrow gullies with wind blown snow in. Still thats better than what we get in Somerset, so will keep an eye on the snow there this winter. (But wont be doing the north face of Pen-y-fan!)
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Helvellyn -Red tarn direct face also gets skied when conditions are right. Its 55 degrees at the top so that first turn is fairly critical !

http://www.buyimage.co.uk/photonet/lakes/pages/114.htm

http://www.lakedistrictwalks.com/heltopq.html
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy