Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Decent ski shops in Briancon ?

Poster: A snowHead
Due to an apparent shortage of Salomon Tornado Ti skis in the UK (I reckon they are keeping decent stocks in the resorts and not sending them to the uk ! wink ) I am hoping to be able to pick some up when in France over xmas/ny .

We're staying in PSV but will be skiing in SerreChe, Montgenevre and PSV as well as popping into Briancon etc... Its been over 6 years since we last skied in PSV (went back to Austria and then Ste.Foy instead) so I can't remember the place at all well, hence looking for recommendations for ski shops etc from people who know Smile

The Tornados go for around £500-540 here in the UK, should I expect a similar price (in €) in Braincon or will there be a resort/mountain tax to be had ?

Thanks
Si
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
try these in Montgenevre
http://www.twinner-montgenevre.fr/en
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
fishslice, have a look in Melquiond Sport, on the left as you drive through Chantemerle. they usually have a huge selection of skis.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
fishslice, Try Chaud Sport in PSV, the biggest there IIRC.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
sarah, IIRC everything in PSV is "Chaud ....... ", since its all family owned right with Elisabeth as the Matriarch Smile is that still the case ?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
fishslice, no idea about that.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
We've been to PSV every Jan for the last 4 (and going again in 2011). Chaud Sport is the biggest shop but there are a couple fo others which I don't think are connected. Pricing wise I'm not sure but I do remember brwosing and thinking that prices were rather more than one would pay in the UK. I'm not sure if thats general for France or just that resorts charge more.
If you're driving it might be worth stopping off somewhere bigger en route?
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
If you're going into Briancon then below the the main Gondola at the bottom is a couple of Ski shops - Krakatoa being a very good one (guy speaks good English)

That said if you're coming up from PSV then before you get into Briancon 1km out is a Centre Commercial and there are a couple of sports (ski) shops there, one being Krakatoa's other shop - Google Krakatoa - can't remember the main one but it's like Decathlon - there is also the main sports (ski) shop in the Centre Commercial by MacDonalds as well again like Decathlon - these are probably the best place for good deals a la Tesco in the UK with their buying power
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Brilliant, thanks all for the responses. Can't wait now Happy 6 sleeps until our first Xmas ski holiday Happy. I don't who is more excited, me or the kids wink
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
fishslice, there are two roads to get to PSV from Briancon - one is the main road N94 where you go to Argentiere le Besse and go up to PSV or turn off at Prelles and take the top road road - however this is a bit more gnarly - other half hates it map here http://maps.google.co.uk/maps/ms?hl=en&ie=UTF8&msa=0&msid=208663612751281113604.00045b19f09974e1d1acd&ll=44.825926,6.574802&spn=0.071103,0.247192&z=13

Just noticed if you go North on the above map to Briancon you'll see Citre d'Actvities Sud - if you zoom in there you'll see a label for Krakatoa Sports !! But still think your best bet are the big Sports Shops - plus if you're self catering really good buther in Prelles - in fact the only decent butcher in the whole area!

Also if you have a car which I presume you do Pelevoux is worth driving too up the valley before you turn off up to PSV

As you may have sussed I go to PSV quite often - makes a nice break from Serre etc and a friend of the family is a ski instructor there
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Weathercam, agreed the top road is more fun, other half hates it but kids love it!
Interested to see you recommend Pelvoux, I keep meaning to head off there for a morning when we are in PSV but have never made it. This year I'm not having lessons so am determined to make the trip when the rest of the family are doing their lessons (we stay with Snowbizz). I'm assuming the drive from PSV is fairly straightforward? I've enquired about the bus in previous years (save digging the car out) but they don't seem to be very frequent, which is a pity as I would have thought it would encourage peope to try Pelvoux a bit more.
Useful info re shops in Briancon, will try and check them out.
Here's hoping PSV has as much snow as it has the last couple of years, I think I heard that blast year it had the biggest single dump of any french resort.
fishslice, have a great trip. Be great to hear how you get on.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks guys, yes we used to go to PSV alot so I'm aware of the "other" road wink (so is the wife, which is why we only ever did it once ! Smile ).

Friends have also recommended Pelvoux so thats also on the list to try while there Smile We have 10-11 days skiing this trip so hopefully loads of time to try the other places nearby also Smile ). We're going with Snozbizz again (always used to when our eldest (now 7) was tiny) since Esprit stopped going to PSV and are indeed self catering and have the car Smile

Weatherman, thanks for the tips on the butcher, most useful Smile

philipb, will update you on conditions etc while there Smile, when are you going out ?

Si
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
cockerhoop, why go to twinner in Montgenevre, there's a massive one in Briancon.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
fishslice, we are off on jan 16th also with Snowbizz. Our kids (8 and 11) love it, the lessons and guiding are great fun for them. There's also plenty of easy off-piste in the trees for them to play in.
Say hi to Michel and the folk in the Petit Chamois.

Phil (Zuleika, Thomas and Hannah)
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
aha yes, Le Petit Chamois, wow I'd forgotten about that Smile Can't wait Smile Its all coming back to me now.... hehe

Si
ski holidays
i was in Montgenevre this year and hired my skis there they were very helpful
o booked it online and save 1/3 on tour op prices and got next grade up too
never got down the valley to Braicon
snow report
Thanks cockerhoop but I'm looking to buy rather than rent. I want an upgrade on my £90 Dynastar Legend 8000's Happy

Si
ski holidays
If you have not done it before then do go and visit the Briancon "Old Town" - say when coming back from your trip to Montegenevre - park in the car park where they have the little drag / freestyle / night skiing etc and then go in the old town through the fortress gates etc kids will love it - the fortifications are like something out of Lord of the Rings - great little tourist shops and cafes.

I can recommend a few other places such as Nevache http://maps.google.co.uk/maps/ms?hl=en&ie=UTF8&msa=0&msid=208663612751281113604.00045b19f09974e1d1acd&ll=45.017911,6.60759&spn=0.020022,0.061798&z=15 and Le Laus http://maps.google.co.uk/maps/ms?hl=en&ie=UTF8&msa=0&msid=208663612751281113604.00045b19f09974e1d1acd&ll=44.873268,6.690331&spn=0.08029,0.247192&z=13 which are all great ski du fond areas of outstanding beauty and just good to go and get a different vibe away from the ski station and people that want a "Full English" Laughing
That said - up the road to Pelvoux is similar and not so far!

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Wed 15-12-10 16:32; edited 2 times in total
snow report
Fishslice, if you get across to Montgenevre and suddenly have a taste for some English food there is a bar directly behind the ski centre building serve love cold Kronanberg and a range of sncks from cheesy chips to chicken curry, plus the obvious full English Shocked
snow report
Thanks, but I'm not driving all that way for chicken curry Smile Bring me Tartiflette, some local wine and even some Genepi and I'm a happy man indeed Smile
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy