Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Portes du Soleil - convenience?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,

I've been looking at the area map of the above (http://www.avoriaz.com/station-alpes-france/modules/plan-des-pistes/index.php?lg=uk) and I don't know the timing/complexity of getting from, say, Chatel or Champery into the main Avoriaz area - without using buses. (We don't want to stay over in Morzine or Les Gets.)

The main problem is - are there 'pinch' points that close quickly in bad weather that will make the return expensive or are there multiple routes in and out?

Assume good intermediates for timings.

Thanks in advance.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
blackwellm,

1. Why not Morzine?

2. Chatel to Avoriaz requires a bus unless you're staying near either of the Linga lifts. The pinch point on return is the Chaux Fleurie chair. If the weather is likely to close in, either they won't open the lift in the first place, or they'll start warning you to get home. It needs to be pretty foul and windy to close the chair anyway. I don't know if it's still a bottleneck in high season as there's a new lift and I haven't been there in high season for a long time.

3. Champery doesn't require a bus but is neither than convenient, nor is there much in the village if you're not on skis. It's pretty tiny.

Returning to point 1. I'd argue that Morzine is at least no less convenient than Chatel and has way more to selection in terms of bars and restaurants, and the rest, than Champery.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
blackwellm, The other thing to consider is that if you start traversing between resorts then you will need a PdS pass which is more expensive than the local 'resort' pass. So if its your intention to only ski the Avoriaz area then you will be better off on that side of the mountain, Avoriaz/Morzine. The PdS is a set of connected resorts rather than a homogenous lift system so there are pinch points and it can get expensive if you get stuck on the wrong side of the mountain.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
BergenBergen,I think your point on the 'connected resorts' nails it for me. I can avoid repeating my Nendaz experience.

underanewname, staying in catered places pretty much makes bar/restaurant counts irrelevant. There are some good chalets near the Linga lifts.
I would only consider Morzine for self-catering and since there are only two of us we don't use that option.

Thanks
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
blackwellm,

The liaison from Avoriaz to above Linga (Chatel) is one fast chair, not the interminable slow drags that link in and out of Nendaz. As long as you catch that chair, you can get home.

If you're within easy walk of the Linga Cabine or Pre-la-Joux chairs, you're fine. (Although why being in a catered chalet means you don't need bars is beyond me Twisted Evil - what do you eat on staff night off? )

I'm still curious as to your prejudice against Morzine?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
blackwellm, wot under a new name says.

Personally, I'd stay in Chatel over Champery if you want to ski in Avoriaz and are worried about the potential costs of getting cut off.

To get back over to Chatel from Avoriaz only requires you to get up Chaux Fleurie - from which you can ski down to a bus all the way back to Chatel. The navigation is a doddle. Chaux Fleurie is only a few years old; is therefore reasonably wind resistant and isn't in a particularly exposed spot.

I reckon that from the centre of Avoriaz to being on the Chaux Fleurie chair is no more than 15-20 minutes for a cautious intermediate. I reckon I could do it in less than 10. The Chaux Fleurie uplift is around 5 minutes.

Champery invovles going over older, more exposed lifts that close more quickly in high wind. You then have to navigate via a succession of lifts - all of which adds to the risk and opens up the possibility of messing up and ending up somewhere you don't want to be.

In bad weather it would be hard to go wrong skiing back once you've got to the top of Chaux Fleurie. It would be very easy to go wrong getting back to Champery.

I always carry a cash card and credit card when skiing away from home in the PDS. Officially the lift companies take no responsibility for getting you home if you end up stuck somewhere - even if it's their fault.

We got stuck in the Linga valley for three hours one day because of a power cut. The emergency generators for a number of lifts didn't work.

But that's once in what is turning into quite a few years.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
blackwellm, If you can get close to the Linga lifts then that would be a good base. the Linga/Pre la Joux/Ardent/Avoriaz sectors are well connected. The return to chatel is via the Chaux Fleurie lift which is fairly new 6 seater chair and not too exposed to the wind. Once you ski beyond those core sectors then you do run the risk, but if the weather is good you wont have any problems as long as you dont leave the return too late
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
blackwellm, I'm also confused. Plenty of very good chalets in Morzine and also lots of self-catering accommodation for two.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
blackwellm,
Quote:

I can avoid repeating my Nendaz experience

Whats that then? I've never had any issues skiing into 4 Vallees from Nendaz, is that what you mean? What issues have you had?? Confused
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
He doesn't want to stay in Morzine or Les Gets - 'simple as'. Doubtless he has his reasons, surely he doesn't need to explain himself?

BergenBergen, gives good advice - Linga and Ardent are the two best ways into the PdeS, but neither have much accomadtion close by. Be wary of places in chatel which are a bus ride away from Linga - unless you like the faff of buses that is.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
red 27, I and FSi are only curious, as from the sound of the OP he hasn't been to the area. I have many reasons why I prefer Morzine over Chatel, and can't see many in the other direction.

That's all.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
BergebBergen/FlyingStantoni, thats really useful info and knocks out Champery.
Markymark29, high winds stopped the cable car (early Jan). I have no issues with Verbier, I just never got there.
underanewname, I understand how catered chalets operate but, more importantly, how much I value my liver & grey matter.

All, just because we aren't going to Morzine does imply anything - I wish I hadn't mentioned it now, I was just attempting to stop it being recommended.
It just shows how precise you need to be in these requests.

Thanks again.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
blackwellm, Skied PdS from many places and IMO best place to stay is Avoriaz, not at all pretty, and a bit of a dated 1970's place but bang central for all the good stuff as far as I am concerned. Have stayed in Morzine (OK but low) and Les Gets (not impressed, too far to get to the action IMO) as well as Avoriaz. Its a great area and I'd definitely stay in Avoriaz if I went again.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Avoriaz is fine to pass through as a transit hub to the other PdS resorts and to ski around but judging from what I could see as I passed through the "village" I wouldn't want to base myself there. For me Morzine is an ideal base for PdS but I did think Chatel would make a good base too.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
blackwellm, hmm, if you hadn't mentioned Morzine, someone would have asked why you hadn't. You can't win.

A nice chalet near Linga or P-l-J sounds like your solution then.
snow conditions
halfhand, If I only got a couple of weeks skiing a year and really just wanted to spend those weeks skiing, Avoriaz is a pretty good bet. There are even a few chalets which are at least architecturally pleasant.
ski holidays
Chiming in for the Swiss side

From Champery to Avoriaz is a cable car and two chair lifts. Its quite a long way but you are there to ski aren't you?

Coming back, you will have to take the cable car down as well.

Champery is a very pretty village and not short of bars/restaurants for two. It's not Sauze D'Oulx but do you want that?

And there is more ski-ing on the Swiss side than most people realise. Yes some of the lifts are old and slow. But there are fewer people as well. We stayed at Montalbert-La Plagne one year and despite the wide slopes and multitude of six and eight man chairs, we had to set off for home at 2.30 every day because of the sheer volume. Never had that in the PdS.

Personally I have skied from Champoussin on the Swiss side to the far side of Mont Chery at Les Gets in well under two hours, and that includes all the faffing about to cross Morzine. I spent three hours in LG/Morzine and was still back in Champoussin by 3.30. And I am a very sedate cruiser (these days).

If however you want to ski Avoriaz mainly, without doubt Chatel is nearer. The killer for Champery really is the cable car. There is a red run down to the bottom but (i) really most of it is blue or even green and (ii) it doesn't come into the town itself - it is a short bus ride out.

Have fun!
snow conditions
sanman wrote:
Coming back (to Champery), you will have to take the cable car down as well.

There are actually two runs back to Champery, a very long one right from the top, the lower reaches of which I recall as being a road/track, and one down the front. Both require quite good snow conditions as they end rather low.
ski holidays
robW yes of course you are right, but I have never seen the "front" one open even in very snowy conditions, so have never skied it. the other one is the one I referred to and you have to "bomb" the top to get momentum for the bottom. Even then you will be poling it for long stretches at the end
latest report
sanman, I completely agree about the skiing on the Swiss side.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy