Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Grand Massif 2010/2011 snow report, Les Carroz, Flaine, Samoens, Morillon, Sixt Fer a Cheval

Poster: A snowHead
Thanks for all the reports people, even though it's not good news at present. Am not coming out until first week in march so hoping there'll be lots of snow before then. Snowed here in midlands, Ireland yesterday, we've about 4 cms this morning so seems crazy that it's raining in the alps. Someone needs to tell the weather it's taken a wrong turn somewhere. Puzzled
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Just back from 4 days in Samoens/Flaine. Temperatures 6-8 degrees. Positively spring like. Links to Flaine closed thu/fri due to high winds but open today. Snow not too bad at the top of Flaine actually...but turning to slush from the lower 1/3 down. Spent yesterday around morillon and Les Carroz - not too bad all things considering but slushville by the afternoon. Lots of brown patches everywhere...Samoens runs in particular very brown and cut up - mogul galore down the Marmotte and Dahu runs. All in all not very goods. Desperate for some snow!!!
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
invest, Thanks for the update
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
looking at the forecast this morning, looks to be a good 20-40cms today
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

looks to be a good 20-40cms today

shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh... don't frighten the timid snow gods away
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
pam w, does that make you a snowtheist?
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Any update from anyone in the GM today???

Coming out on Thursday and hope that things are looking better than they did last week / end.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
About 8-12 inches overnht meant pretty good if a little heavy conditions high up.
Pistes lower down still mushy but acceptable. All in all we had a great first day.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
stevo_the_saddler, I put some bindings on my rock skis yesterday, ........so there was bound to be new snow! Very Happy At least its better! thank you. Very Happy
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Been following this thread unregistered but finally took the plunge
We're heading to Morillon 1100 this Saturday and looking great now, after the face-tearing depression I got from reading this thread since last Thursday!

I'll try to report two or three times while I'm out there.

Does anyone know what sort of time of year the Gers bowl/Cascades usually opens? From scanning online it seems to usually be the end of Jan/early Feb. We did it in late March last year and they shut it for the season at the end of that week, so was hoping to get down there on its first week of opening this year to complete the stats, but doesn't look like they're gonna get it opened anytime soon Sad
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

does that make you a snowtheist?

MoodyFFS, I've been trying to think of a clever reply to that all day - but failed!
Laughing
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Am also hoping for good conditions (fingers crossed!) as I'll be heading to Flaine this Saturday in a large group - have been following this thread with interest Shocked
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
snebbit, welcome to snowheads! Gers bowl was open the last week of last season. The long (sorry but rather dull in bits) cascades just depends on conditions, it tends to be rather icy / rocky at the bottom, sixt ski area usually closes end of march.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hi all.

I've just had a call from my mate to say his place in Samoens is available for the week of the 22nd of January.

Do I go for a sneeky 3/4 day trip Saturday - Tuesday? I'm rather concerned about the conditions. The foreacasts don't look all that great - it seems to staying above freezing for a while.

Not asking anyone to be John Kettly but just wondered anyone's thoughts.

I've just had my boots retro-fitted by Colin at S4F and I wanna try them out Happy
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
carroz wrote:
snebbit, welcome to snowheads! Gers bowl was open the last week of last season. The long (sorry but rather dull in bits) cascades just depends on conditions, it tends to be rather icy / rocky at the bottom, sixt ski area usually closes end of march.

We did this last year, first part is a mixture of fantastic views and virgin snow with the odd up hill stretch. Last part was terrible and just a sheet of ice, was really glad to get to the bottom.
snow report
Quote:

first part is a mixture of fantastic views and virgin snow with the odd up hill stretch. Last part was terrible and just a sheet of ice, was really glad to get to the bottom.

But the middle bit is just great - if you catch it with nobody around it feels very special.

And welcome to scubadancer... snowHead
ski holidays
Quote:

Last part was terrible and just a sheet of ice, was really glad to get to the bottom.

Yup, been there Happy

The last bit on ice just seemed never ending! Glad I did it though and I would certainly suggest people did it.
ski holidays
Hi, we went to Flaine last year, 16-23rd Jan, and went down cascades. We must have been lucky, the snow was perfect all the way down. Even managed to time the bus right.....was sat there waiting, got on, and away it went.
If i am able, will post a pic of the 'camel humps', which was picture perfect!
snow conditions
horsesforcourses wrote:
Hi, we went to Flaine last year, 16-23rd Jan, and went down cascades. We must have been lucky, the snow was perfect all the way down. Even managed to time the bus right.....was sat there waiting, got on, and away it went.
If i am able, will post a pic of the 'camel humps', which was picture perfect!
latest report
Gosh....my first picture post.....it's only 11am, drat, too early for the glass of wine in celebration!!

Oh, forgot to say, we are off to Flaine on Saturday for a week.
snow report
Cascades has always been open for some of the week I've been there (11 separate weeks over 10 years) but note it often only opens late morning so keep checking the piste info. It's often been cruddy / icy at the bottom so not for the nervous. We always do it - despite the uphill stretches it's nice to escape the crowds. I love that silence you get - that's part of skiing for me. Don't worry, conditions will improve, especially by mid-Feb Toofy Grin
snow report
I agree with billb, its so amazing to hear silence and see nobody for long periods - that the up hill bits are quickly forgotten!! All I would say that my boyfriend is a boarder and has refused to ever do it again!! Good job when we go next month we have a skiier coming with us to keep me company!! 5 weeks and 3 days ...
Love the pics!!
snow report
out there on the 29th for a week, watching this thread with interest!
ski holidays
Quote:

my boyfriend is a boarder and has refused to ever do it again

Ah, not a good run for those on the dark side. Perhaps he'll reform one day wink
latest report
We did Cascades late on in the day and the Piste Bloke (?) came along on his skidoo and towed us along the flay/uphill bits - very cool Happy

Anyone know the current conditions?
latest report
OK, just got back... here is my update FWIW.

Cascades... IMHO, no chance of it opening for a while unless there is lots of new snow and colder temps. It is very avalance and rock falling prone in places. The snowline at the moment is too high to be able to get to the bottom.

Samoens 1600 and above is fantastic as of yesterday, but I believe it has been very mild again today. The pistes are in great condition, and there is som (albeit now tracked snowHead ) off piste fun to be had... a little heavy in places.

Morillion, high up is OK, but not as good as you get lower. Still plenty of cover all the way to 1100, but a little mushy, we avoided after trying once as there was plenty more fun elsewhere.

Les Carroz, early in the day yesterday the pistes were some of the flattest, empty-est pistes I have ever skied, truly awesome. It was cutting up a little later on in the day, but still loads of fun to be had. People skiing the blacks and enjoying the fresh dumping of snow seemed to be having a blast too... my legs were too tired to attempt!

Flaine, again, stay high for the best conditions. Lower down Flaine is suffering more than the other GM resorts IMHO. I have skied plenty worse though.

All in all, the pistes were empty... literally, we didn't have to wait for a single lift all 3 days, skied straight on to every one (apart from the gondolas, where wearing skis is frowned upon!)

Hope the temps drop, and there is more snow though! Back again in Feb, though I suspect there may be the odd queue then!

Oh... and the "Coveys" re-fit in Samoens is nice too... as is the beer!
ski holidays
stevo_the_saddler, Thanks for the report - I'm there in Feb too. Let's hope for more snow snowHead
snow report
stevo_the_saddler,

Well Steve, I think this info has made my mind up for me - I think I'll go Happy
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
We're there from Saturday this week. I hope the weather stays cold enough at night for them to fire the snow cannons Sad
ski holidays
stevo_the_saddler, Yes, thanks for the report - really useful. As mentioned before, I'm off there tomorrow and looking forward to it. I've signed up to the sms snow report option, and will endeavour to post further updates to the site whilst I'm over there....
ski holidays
Don't use it all up, I'm going there in a fortnight...
ski holidays
We are off on the 5th of Feb so had been keeping a slightly concerned eye on this thread but it seem things are not too bad.
ski holidays
stevo_the_saddler, Thanks for that, I have found that sometimes although the forecasts seem bleak and forum reports too it tends to be not so bad when you get there. Maybe its because I'm not brave enough (or skilled enough) to venture off piste. Anyhoo following thread with avid interest. One question... if conditions do get good enough to do cascades... is it worth it? or are uphill/flat areas too annoying? Not asking just for me but my 11 year old nephew who'd sooner do a black than have to pole along a flat spot and he's not crazy about the blacks?? Confused
ski holidays
snowmam, In my opinion, Cascades is worth doing once. The top bit is where the rollers/flat bits are, and you do begin to wonder why you have bothered. These can be avoided by doing the Gers bowl (if open), although that is an off-piste area and quite challenging. I have never personally tried to get from Gers to Cascades, but I believe it is possible.

Once further down Cascades, the scenery is beautiful, but the lower you get, the icier it gets (as the name suggests - it is a waterfall lower down). Some of the frozen parts of the "cascade" are gorgous and worth a photo opportunity. The last few hundred metres is a path basically, and if this is icy it can be tricky for less confident skiers.

In my 10-12 times skiing in the area, Cascades has been open less than half the times I have been there. If it is open, and especially if the Sixt ski area has snow, then I would try it... I would be sure to go for a quick blast on the reds/blacks over the road in Sixt - they are usually empty (even in Feb) and give an hour or twos fun in the trees.

Let us know what you think if you do go.
latest report
stevo_the_saddler, Totally agree with your comments. I believe you CAN get to Cascades from Gers btw but Gers is probably the most challenging part of the GM. My son does it but not myself (yet).
ski holidays
stevo_the_saddler, thanks for that, might give it a go if possible. Will blame you if nephew not happy!! Little Angel
snow report
billb, billb, Yes you can get to cascades from the bottom of gers and gers is not that difficult, just ask at the pisteurs hut on the way what the conditions are like as it can vary hugely. Its the drag back that is the "fun" bit!
latest report
Well I've literally just booked a flight out to have a sneaky few days from the 22nd to the 25th Jan Happy

Hope it's good!!! (or at least good enough).
ski holidays
carroz, I'd assumed, from what my son told me, that Gers was harder than the Flaine Diamond Black ( which is a struggle for me at the top on the moguls i.e. I don't really ski it, just get down.....)
snow report
any snow reports ? Very Happy
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy