Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Grand Massif 2010/2011 snow report, Les Carroz, Flaine, Samoens, Morillon, Sixt Fer a Cheval

Poster: A snowHead
simo1234, No, about 2 months of the year thats all

billb, There was this morning! just got back from a very long walk (a bit cold in places!) and was walking through snow at about 1600m.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Still rather cold, lots of low cloud all day....walk was good however, saw no one else for 6 hours!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Still pockets of snow on northerly facing bits as low as 1400m! Its done lots of damage to small deciduous trees with quite a few snapped in the middle from the weight of snow. Superb walk today on a roundabout way up to flaine lake...back in august..... Very Happy
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
well was back in august for 2 and bit weeks, just about to drive back. On the little wanders around the mountains have noticed a few things, drag lift on plein soleil up to gondola, the bottom cabin has vanished, and there is a jcb with hole digging attachments and chairlift bits lying about in the trees??

Near oasis draglift there are enormous holes up the piste towards l'airon chairlift and further up with various jcbs installing more snowmaking, or modifying it with various pumps and concrete reservoir things fenced off next to the drag lift.

next time here......start of season.......
Very Happy
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
carroz, You must start the 2011/12 thread before that. Very Happy
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
carroz, Yes, you've earned the right to start the 11/12 thread with your numerous reports. I'm probably there in Feb.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
We have been to the Grand Massif 3 times now, and have never been able to ski cascades.
We normally go in Jan.
This year we are going in late Feb, are we more likely to be in luck later in the season?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
mr_big_ad, good call - I've had the same experience both times I've been to Flaine...
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
mr_big_ad, More likely it will be open, really very dependant on snow, i have skiied it in Jan and got the scars on my piste skis to show! however late feb is v busy as its french half term. Be aware that the last bus to samoens is chargable. Casacades tends to be ok at the top, the bits by the frozen waterfalls (hence name!) at the base that tends to be stoney. Sixt usually closes end of march. If you go early, sixt is often v quiet so ski the runs there for a change?

The base is the best part, the top is a long lumpy schuss, or you can go down gers and join in half way down, there is a good restaurant apparently near casacades that will take you back up to gers drag after nosh
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
mr_big_ad, I've been to GM 11 times in Feb half-term and skied Cascades most times. It hasn't always been open every day - you have to grab your moment and it's easier if you're based in Flaine. As carroz says it tends to be frozen lower down, you need to be confident. But if you can (at least) hold a good snowplough you'll make it down. Worth it, every time.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Where's the 2011/2012 thread?
http://www.grand-massif.com/hiver/webcams.php
Very Happy
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
mr_big_ad, I think carroz should have the privelege to start it as he's the main man here.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Found this in the local press. Those of a nervous disposition may want to look away.

http://www.ledauphine.com/haute-savoie/2011/10/15/telecabine-de-flaine-l-enquete-judiciaire-commence-par-une-serie-d-auditions

google translate

For now, the reasons for the accident remains unknown. "During the annual review of the gondola, four cabins without any occupant have clashed and fell to the ground causing the shutdown of the line," says Frederic Marion, commercial director of the Flaine ski area. He stated that the facility will remain closed pending the results of the survey.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Celui-ci subissait d’ailleurs au moment de l’accident sa visite annuelle avant toute remise en exploitation. « Il vaut mieux que le problème se soit manifesté à ce moment-là », conclut le procureur.

that's what I said, on the earlier thread about this accident.....better the "experts" got a shock than some luckless punters. And nobody was hurt - how likely would that be, if that had happened during the season?

Let's hope they quickly get to the bottom of the problem. I guess that until they do it's quite possible that the use of other lifts, of similar style, might be suspended?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
mr_big_ad, billb, The bottom of cascades is brilliant if you carry a bit of speed, several switch backs where you get right over on your edges to make the turn if you are flying.
Great fun but also not too challenging if you take it easy. Worst bits are some steep parts around mid run but they are only a short part of a long run.
snow report
BergenBergen, pam w, Bloody hell, been on that a time or two....... I missed the earlier thread. It's very rare of course, but I often wonder when I look up at a detachable chair how secure it actually is.
snow conditions
I heard yesterday that the 'Eggs' has not yet been fixed and unlikely to be so anytime soon. Shock Anybody heard any news.
ski holidays
carroz, Are you starting a 2011-2012 thread? I think you should have the privelege. Yes, I know there's no snow......
ski holidays
http://www.snow-forecast.com/resorts/Flaine/6day/top
Very Happy
maybe its time for that thread!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy