Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Grand Massif 2010/2011 snow report, Les Carroz, Flaine, Samoens, Morillon, Sixt Fer a Cheval

Poster: A snowHead
billb, Depends on conditions, Diamont Noir is always mogulled, and always people watching, and the twisty bit is much harder than the gers blacks, which often have really good snow, the bottom is always usually mogulled. Its the drag that is er horrid!

cstreat, will be next saturday as in les carroz for three weeks (work depending?)
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
billb, Gers is not really, really steep - but it is totally un-pisted and therefore reflects the conditions (i.e. once tracked out it gets massive moguls), after fresh snow it is great, but they usually wait a while to officially open (i.e. open the lift). The lift itself if not doing Cascades is a nightmare of a drag lift and is prone to breaking down.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
carroz, stevo_the_saddler, Thanks, may try Gers then - I've put it off for 10 years......
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
It is possible to do Cascades without polling/skating at all......... but it's not very sociable.............................. basically if you can see where you're going go straight there!!

No hesitation, no check turns.. straight...
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I spent last week (09-Jan to 14-Jan on the slopes) in Flaine, with the full range of conditions: brown slush, fresh powder, crusty powder then rock hard ice runs from hell.
The rep on the bus on the way from Geneva said they'd had a lot of rain during the week which had washed a lot of snow away, and when we got to resort you could see how.
Mercifully, the temps dropped and we had a lot of fresh snow Sunday 09 Jan and Mon 10 Jan. This set us up for a couple of great days of fresh powder.
However, things warmed back up again and the rain came back on Wednesday, then froze, leaving Friday tricky brown patches on lower slopes in Flaine, and rock hard ice further up.
Took a trip over into Les Carroz and none of the lower runs were open - the only way down to Les Carroz village was by the cable car.
Sixt, Gers and Cascades weren't open at any point during the week. My advice - stay high and pray for snow! Hope anyone else going out soon gets a better week :-/
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
monkeyboard, Blimey, looks like my Mon-Wed skiing was the perfect choice!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
stevo_the_saddler wrote:
monkeyboard, Blimey, looks like my Mon-Wed skiing was the perfect choice!

Yeah you did! I didn't feel I quite got the value out of my lift pass those other days.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hi
In Flaine this week. Madeye-Smiley
Its not all doom and gloom, yes the forum itself is icy, but as soon as you head up, snow is good.
First thing this am, we took the Les Grandes Platieres and skied serpentine etc, took chair back up from midway and went down red/blue all the way back down to the centre.
Then went up the ' Egg' and skied the blues and reds up there for rest of morning. In all, runs were ok, with more snow than i though would be on them. Faust red run was closed the last section and just a couple of minor ones nearer the bottom.
We are going to head off up the Grans Vans tomorrow and see what the other side holds......
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
horsesforcourses,

That's good to know - I'm there for 3 days from Saturday.

Any further reports would be most welcome.

Enjoy your skiing Happy
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Skied Flaine yesterday (saturday) on way home from Argentiere. Snow at the top was OK, but most runs very scoured and icy. With lots of people about and icy runs it felt more dangerous than the off piste at Grands Montets! Most of the runs we looked at were open, but fresh snow badly needed.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Forecasts show a return to the more expected range of freezing temperatures by the end of this week and some light snow. Lets hope that puts and end to this ridiculous warm spell and we get some major precipitaton to follow.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Ben E C, Amen to that
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Monday....Blue skies and Sun....

We went across to Les Carroz. Snow at the top was ok, but a lot of the reds were either closed or shut half way down. Only one run open right down to the gondola. Coming back up on lifts you can see how bare these runs have got.
What runs are open throughout area are enjoyable especially in the morning. By afternoon, they are quite slushy and slow.
Flaine being higher has the better snow so far.

Went to Flaines Jampark this afternoon, found some good snow over there, as it does not get much sun.
Great day for some scenic photos for the album!!!
Heard from others in hotel that Samoens has some good snow, will try there tomorrow.

ps, i'm an old recreational skier, so will not be able to give updates on hard blacks, off piste routes or the like!

Laughing
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Looks to be pretty chilly by the end of the week, but no precipitation...
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
For anyone based in Flaine with a car, Les Contamines might be a good destination for a day - stay above Etape and the snow is very good. The Veleray sector (the toughest) is closed but it fairly often is, and cover on the great long cruisy reds and blues at the top end (and over onto the Hauteluce side) is extremely good. It's probably much quieter, too - was certainly very, very, quiet today with whole great pistes practically deserted at times.
latest report
as promised, a quick update guys, best conditions the higher u go. Slush at the bottom with patches of earth showing thru in places. Could do with more snow 4 sure, but forecast not great @ the mo. On the plus side, Piste bashers doing a good job in the evening, & my winter tan is coming on a treat! Happy (via SMS)
latest report
Good website for accuarate forecast...given by hotel this morning

www.yr.no/place/France/Rhône-Alpes/Flaine/
snow conditions
Heading out to Les Carroz 3 Feb so been following the snow/weathert reports with interest & dismay. Just had the daily bulletin in from gestion_neige@skifrance.fr & it's saying 4 days continuous snowfall from Sun - bring it on!!!! Razz
snow report
Well at least the teperature seems to have dropped. I was starting to worry if there would be any snow left by the time we arrive on the 5th (Feb). I seem to be checking this thread and a few forecast sites continuosly at the moment! I hope your right about the 4 days of snowfall but just incase has anyone got any good snow dance steps?
ski holidays
Keep repeating: "Feb 5th will be fine". Of course, by the 19th it will have improved dramatically..... wink
snow conditions
billb, I am hoping so too as I arrive then for some half term madness!
snow conditions
I`ll be there on the 5th too. Keep up those helpful condition reports ! Very Happy
snow conditions
Well it seems there is enough praying and chanting going on!
snow report
Me and 4 friends are going for 6 days boarding from 29th Jan - hoping the snow gods are with us!
snow conditions
Hi Peeps,

New here so go asy on me !! Im off to Les Carroz on the 25th Jan. All this doom and gloom about the snow...is it that bad, could anyone recommend the best places to ski?
ski holidays
Meant to say go Easy on me !! Plus i didnt mention that i havent skied for 20 years, last time i done it was when i was 15 !!!
snow report
It will be fine im sure. And welcome to sh.
Recommended skiing? The whole of the grand massif is great fun. Better to check on specific conditions nearer the time.
snow conditions
We're going out Saturday, will try to post an update once we've seen what's there. I'm hoping the rumour of snow from Sunday is true!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
We'll be there from Sat too.
snow conditions
Weds 19th

Very chilly in the morning (-9c). This afternoon the clouds came down and there may have been a fiftieth of a millimetre snowfall Sad

A lot of the Massif pistes were scoured ice to the point of being dangerous although Mon and Tues they were actually pretty good - so we're putting this down to lazy Tuesday night pistebasher staff or something..

Conditions still great higher up in flaine, had a lovely day there today. Mephisto and Serpentine in great nick until you get right near the bottom. Aujon and the jampark probably have some of the deepest snow in the area.

Stay positive, soon-to-be visitors: only the very bottom runs are closed in GM, and the higher you go the more fun you will have but it's really not as bad as you would expect.
snow report
I'll be in Samoens Sun, Mon & Tues.

Do you think I should head straight across to Flaine?
snow report
e17phil, Samoens holds it's snow really well and is only 300m lower than flaine at the top and the same height at the bottom. However there is more skiing over in flaine. I always do a whole area pass.
snow report
stevo_the_saddler, Cheers. I'll play it by ear - I do intend to get the whole area pass.
snow conditions
We found some good snow over at Samoens on Tuesday and equally good down the runs to Morrillon on Wednesday. Just stay away from the bottom slopes and you should be fine. Pistes are holding up reasonable well now that its got colder.
I agree, Flaine has the better snow,being that bit higher. And yes, the Jampark area has the best....but I've been trying to keep that bit quiet. Still, as i've only day and half left..... Sad
ski holidays
The right hand side of the Flaine bowl (looking upwards) is largely out of the sun in the afternoon so will tend to preserve its snow better. However, the easier and more popular runs are to the left (Cristal etc) and do get the afternoon sun, so will suffer. We often go down (to Foret) for lunch in the apartment so it's a pain when the lower runs are poor. For those who know it I reckon the best way down is Faust turning right onto the "two-way" green to get to Foret. You can then drop down to Forum if you need to. This avoids the steep part at the bottom of Faust which is likely virtually unskiable atm. I must investigate Morillon more this time - never really skied there extensively.
latest report
The webcam at Morillon 1100 looks like it's snowing quite heavily or am I seeing things Puzzled
latest report
Yep - Just checked the Les Carroz webcam & it's definitely snowing there too
snow report
paulnjackieblackie, skimum, Hurrah

billb, Morillon will be ropey once past half way (where there is a slow lift up on the right towards L'igloo - (always worth a coffe stop)). If it is foggy, Morillon provides trees in the same way as Carroz. When there is good snow... always worth a trip on the very long and good fun Green run "Marvel" (I know... but trust me - it is a great run). Samoen holds its snow really well and is worth a try if you wish to get away from the crowds in Flaine - Mornings in Samoens/Morillon and Carroz are always quieter as for some reason everyone dashes off to Flaine. I leave flaine until later when they are all coming back Toofy Grin
snow report
stevo_the_saddler, Thanks. Yes, I keep reading references to Marvel - I've no problem with green runs. There are times when you don't want to try too hard.....

I've skied Samoens a little but mainly on the way back from Sixt (via Cascades) to Flaine or the (sometimes) easier black (Chamois?) off the tete du saix. I suppose coming from Flaine I've been spoilt with the cruising motorways and find the narrower pistes less enjoyable.
latest report
3cm of new snow in morillon 1100 - more higher up. Still going too!

-15c this morning
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy