Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Morzine - Best way to get to BASS Les Gets from Pleney

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I wonder if anyone can help me?

I've just booked us into the Hotel Viking at Pleney, Morzine (mixed reviews I know) for Feb half term week and I'm trying to get my 10 year old son into BASS for some ski lessons. He's fed up being in huge ESF groups where he's the only one that doesn't speak french and isn't learning much from hanging about disinterested at the back.

BASS are being very helpful, but the Morzine class that meets at Pleney is full. They do though have a space in the Les Gets class which meets at the top of the Chavannes TC.

I'm trying to find out if it's feasible to get to the Les Gets meeting point from Pleney by 9.15am? This will be our first time in the area, but from the piste maps it looks as if we have two options:

1. Take the Belvedere TS, ski down to Les Gets, take the Chavannes TC up to the meeting point.

or

2. Take the Belvedere TS, ski down Les Granges, take the Charniaz Express up and then ski down to Les Chavannes.

All the runs are blue and shouldn't be too difficult even if a bit icy, but I'm just wondering which route will be quickest ( will there be long queues at the Chavannes TC - All new this year I see) and whether the Belvedere TS and Charniaz express will open in time for us to get there by 9.15?

I've looked around for lift timetables and opening times but can't find them.

A very particular request I know but if anyone can offer some advice I'd be grateful. I know too that we should have booked earlier but we normally go as a group and this year we've been unable to get it organised. Hence the last minute rush.

Thanks in advance

Mike
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
not a direct answer, but we went to morzine in feb. my 2 sons were in a snowboarding esf class, which had only 3 in the group. language was no prob. my instructor was also great. I did envy the guy in our group who just had to blob out of the hotel viking to get to the class, compared to my hike from l'eglise carrying 3 sets of skis. I was however much fitter (smug, smug)
maria
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I have to admit I thought I'd got a right result when I discovered BASS meet at the top of Pleney, right outside the Viking. Especially as the esf kids lessons start down at the bottom (unlike the esf adults which also meet at the top). Why they do this I've no idea. Don't they know the parents have to take the kids to the meeting point. Which would be a right pain for me, go down to drop off my son and then come back up again to meet the adult class. Probably not so bad for most people though as they can drop the kids off on the way.

Mind you I also find the BASS timings a bit odd. Kids in the morning, adults in the afternoon. What are the kids meant to do while the adults have their lessons?

Mike
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
olderscot, providing the new red egg increases upload capacity (given that you are going at the busiest time), then option 1 is quicker. If you take option 2 you have a long chair up (Charniaz) and then a walk up the hill outside Lhoty's before you even get the final schuss down to the Yeti.

All that said, you'd still have to hoon it to make it by 9.15. Allow a good half hour, providing there's no queues.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
OK. Thanks for that. I guess this isn't going to work as TC's and TS's in general tend not to open until 9.00ish. Looks like it's plan B and booking into easy2ride (esi). They have room for my wife and son but not me so it looks as if I'll have go with esf. It's a bit of a shame as they'll have to travel down the TC to meet the group as we're staying at the top. At least going down will be against the flow of traffic.

I have nothing against esf in particular, just that last year at half term we ended up with 14 people in the group. Unless you're in the first four or five you haven't a clue what you're supposed to be doing and then you get the eejits who just ski across the line you're all trying to take. I guess I'll have to try and book a few private lessons as well.

Thanks for all your help.

Mike
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Not sure when you asked this question and whether it is too late but although I am a BASS loyalist, if they are full you might want to try Snow-School in Morzine. Small groups, many English speaking instructors. Even had some ex-BASS people (but not sure if still there).
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy