Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Can't put my boots on!

Poster: A snowHead
I had my first day's skiing of the season at the weekend, but I really struggled to get my boots on. I bought the boots last season and had about 8 or 9 days use in them, and never had any problems, in fact they were very easy to put on.

It was a real struggle to get my foot 'around the bend' by the heel - I'm pretty sure that my foot hasn't changed shape or grown over the summer, and I really had to stretch the the shell open with all my strength to be able to force my foot in, which took the best part of 10 minutes of hard work to achieve. Once in my foot was fine, except that all that force needed had pulled my sock really tight around my big toe, which I think probably contributed to a bit of pain there towards the end of the day.

The only thing I can think of is that the boots have been in the garage (in a bag) up until this weekend, so might be a bit cold.

Any tips as to what the problem might be or how to make them easier to fit?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Whitters, temperature related I think - give em 90 seconds in the microwave next time Smile
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
When mine are cold I try to do it standing up.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
red 27, Whitters, Shocked Metal buckles Puzzled How about leaving them on the radiator overnight or getting a boot warmer/drier (my favourite skiing toy - nothing like warm boots to stuff your tootsies into)
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Whitters, hubby took an hour and a half to put on his boots once, as they'd been in a freezing cold car on the journey from Banff to Sunshine.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
tiffin wrote:
When mine are cold I try to do it standing up.

......... as the actress said to the bishop. Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

boots have been in the garage (in a bag) up until this weekend, so might be a bit cold.

they might indeed! It's been a period of record-breaking cold. Keep the boots somewhere warm - leave them inverted on a rack over a warm radiator or something similar, for a good day or so.

Never, ever, leave boots in a cold car, or a cold anywhere else. It makes a huge difference if they're warm.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

The only thing I can think of is that the boots have been in the garage (in a bag) up until this weekend, so might be a bit cold.

would you like to live in the cold garage in the weather you have been having Puzzled Puzzled keep them somewhere warm and they will be much easier to put on
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Lol - Reminds me of the day I left my boots in the car overnight by mistake after a hard days' skiing, imagine the fun I had trying to get them on in the carpark at -17C at carpark following day at Argentiere ready to go up Grand Montets, falling over like an idiot with rock hard boots, everyone else had had the heaters on all night.........1/2 hour later after much hilarity, NOT .....sorted.........It'll NEVER happen again! rolling eyes
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Or the time 15 years ago I bought a crate of beer at the local supermarket so I could avoid expensive bar-bills at the hotel, left them in the rear footwell of my car in Kitzbuhel and promptly forgot about them. How I loved that smell of carpet soaked beer all the way home to UK as all the tops blew off overnight and flooded the beer into my rear footwell 5cm deep...........c'est la vie, you live and learn!! Blush
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
CEM, the heating in our house broke down last night, so I know how the boots felt Very Happy

But point taken. Many Swiss houses, including ours, seem to have underfloor heating which just warms the ambient temperature rather than has any hotspots, so there aren't any radiators or similar to really warm them up or dry out clothing for that matter, but hopefully room temperature should be OK for them to recover.

Maybe the suggestion of boot warmers might help too.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Whitters, Thermic boot driers are what I use - one continental plug adapter and you are well away Very Happy
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Whitters, I have this problem too, if my boots have been anywhere cold, I really struggle to get them on. Luckily the boot lockers in resort last season were in a heated room, really hope it's the same this season. Nothing worse than struggling for ages to contort my feet into cold wet boots.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
If there aren't any boot warming facilities where you are staying, take them up to your room. Simples.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Schuss in Boots, I always use ski/boot lockers at lift base stations rather than lugging gear what is usually a 20 minute walk back to the hotel. That way I can take in a bar or three on the walk back (in nice comfy boots). The downside is I'm at the mercy of the locker facilities, some of which are nicely heated, some of which aren't. I guess if they're not heated I can carry my boots back with me but must remember not to leave them in a bar somewhere! I guess hotel ensuite is as good a place as any to leave them to dry off if I do.
snow report
Schuss in Boots, I agree 100%, mine sleep next to me with the plug-in boot warmers on right through the night, toastybootsrus.com..............bootwarmers are definitely essential piece of kit IMO. Until very recently I used to leave on the warm boot rack at the digs but soon realised that other peoples boots dripping on them and a less than warm rack and therefore damp strarts to the day arent great!
ski holidays
Markymark29 wrote:
..... mine sleep next to me with the plug-in boot warmers on right through the night....

Wouldn't a teddy bear be more comfortable? Toofy Grin Laughing
ski holidays
Schuss in Boots, Ha.................spooning with my Tecnicas not a pretty sight!!
snow conditions
What take your boots off at night?? surely you should just keep them on for bed
snow report
When you haven't used your boots since last season you've got to warm the shell up before using them. Just give them a quick blast with a haidryer on the hot setting.

I take a small travel hairdryer away with me just for that reason. I certainly don't need for what's left on my head !!
snow conditions
Whitters, Have you tried it with the tongue out? Yeth, I thstill can't thget thhem on

The old ones are the best
snow report
Bode Swiller, Oh good grief... Laughing Laughing
snow report
Schuss in Boots, As a beginner I was told to put a fresh pair of socks on each day. By Day 4 I couldn't get my boots on.

Lucky for you they are the only 2 boot "jokes" I know...
snow report
Bode Swiller, *GROAN*

Laughing

Good tip about the hairdrier.
snow conditions
Don't get things too hot with the hair-dryer!
latest report
These are excellent: http://www.ellis-brigham.com/ski-accessories/therm-ic/710032/boot-warmer-120v
snow report
spyderjon, you need a 240v model for Europe though.
snow report
First time I left my boots in a car we got to the area and I could not get my Lange boots on. I’d worn them several times and it really messed with my head. I like them snug and bruised my shins trying to force my feet in. Finally realized they were frozen! Warmed them up then forced the liner hard forward and got in them!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@1snowchaser, welcome to snowHeads and on the revival of a 13+ year old thread!
ski holidays
I bought a Slippin recently - transformational !
latest report
orange wrote:
I bought a Slippin recently - transformational !
I wouldn't be without mine - a game changer.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy