Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski weekends - 12kg luggage allowance by COACH?!

Poster: A snowHead
So we've booked a week with skiweekends, and now looking at the small print, it would seem that there is a 12kg luggage limit per person (excluding ski bag which we've paid extra for) - has anyone travelled with them before and can tell us whether they actually enforce this? Seems bizzarre as part of the appeal of coach travel is not having to watch the weight! Even Ryanair's limit is more generous!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
we went with them at easter, ski carrige was free and there was a mention of a limit on luggage. However no one checked and they didnt seem too bothered, but then again how much do you need for 3 days?
I would also take something to keep you warm on the coach as it was freezing and they didnt seem too keen to turn the heating on despite numerous requests!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Just stick all your clothes in your ski bag with the skis. Protects the skis and leaves you with more weight left over for other stuff. Some travel companies say in the small print that you cannot do this.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks for the advice guys, yeah always a good plan to stuff underwear in with skis. Dave - Good to hear they're not too fussy, we're actually going for the week (skiweeks.com) which is why we may be over the 12k limit. If anyone else has any experiences I'd be interested to hear them.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
A 12kg luggage limit is a joke even for a weekend.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I suspect the limit is simply to discourage people from bringing multiple or large bags and won't usually be enforced, luggage space is at a premium on a full coach even before ski equipment has to be packed.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

A 12kg luggage limit is a joke even for a weekend.

Not if you've got a ski (or board) bag it isn't. What won't go in the ski bag goes in the boot bag.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
pam w, but you have to pay extra for the ski bag. Those who aren't taking their own skis would surely need more than 12kg?

andytb, good point.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

Those who aren't taking their own skis would surely need more than 12kg?

Yes, if they were taking their own boots, but maybe not otherwise - for a weekend? I agree 12 kg is pretty minimal but you can wear heavy shoes and hat/gloves/jacket on the bus, with a small backpack with water, chocolate, etc for the night, and some vulnerable stuff like goggles. A 12 kg bag with salopettes, some base layers, a pair of jeans and a top for the evening, maybe slippers, minimal toiletries? Ought to be doable. I've often wondered, as I stand at Geneva airport waiting for whoever I'm meeting, what can possibly be in some of the absurd bags which some people trundle around. A different outfit for every evening? 30 books to read?

I did a last minute 4 day trip to Tignes from the office in London one time. I had a ski bag and boot bag, plus my office brief-case (into which I'd stuffed all the silly office clothes, having changed in the ladies'). Manageable on the trains as I went out to Stansted.

Mind you, I can't really talk as I'm driving out to my own apartment next week with an entire car full of such essentials as toilet rolls, groceries, frozen casseroles, travel cots, lifetime supplies of Pampers, some new saucepans, 2 pairs of ski boots and all other heavy gear for daughter and family. They will fly to Geneva on Christmas Eve ( where I shall pick them up, weather permitting, with an empty car) with hand baggage only. If they get to Geneva but I don't, they'll be stuffed!
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
On a coach??? That's just a tax.

Why would you take a coach for a weekend break anyway? A day on the coach to get there, a day on the mountain and a day to get home?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
The drivers have no way of weighing the luggage anyhow... so how they can check is beyond me. As for ski boards/bags etc. Any coach running to ski resorts should make sure they have a skibox fitted on the back to take them...
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
i went wig SkiWeekends a couple of years back - a really really excellent deal and 3 brilliant day's skiing

i was astonished how quickly all of the lugggae space on the coach fills up, so i am not suprised they put an arbitraty low limit to discourage the big suitcase brigade.
i woudl ensure you get on at Victoria and not at Dover !

Seriously though on eth trip back , i think the coach driver had to unpack and repack twice to get everything in.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
pam w, he's said twice - as far as I can see - that he is going for a week.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Shimmy Alcott, yes, so he has, sorry. However, I don't think you need any more for a week than for a weekend. Base layers etc dry easily overnight.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I think the key to maximising luggage allowance is to have a lightweight holdall, something that weighs less than a kilo when empty. Mine is like this and the maximum laden weight I've had is 14kg and that's including ski boots (but not skis). Wear your ski jacket and snow boots on the plane/coach too. Simples.
ski holidays
I did a week with a large back pack in January;

Two sets of thermals
Two fleeces
Ski Jacket/Pants worn on
One pair of jeans & shirt for evening
Suitable amount of underwear
Washbag
Boots in bottom of bag (I did say large back pack;))

Easy peasy Smile
ski holidays
pam w wrote:
Shimmy Alcott, yes, so he has, sorry. However, I don't think you need any more for a week than for a weekend. Base layers etc dry easily overnight.

we all approach our hols differently and what is right for one is not for the other. Not every one wants to wash their clothes every night - I do not - no time for it ... Apres, food, beer, sleep, breakfast, board .... rinse and repeat as necessary Very Happy

I think the point is that there is no need for a weight limit of 12 kg on a coach
snow conditions
My OH lotions and potions would suck up a 12 k limit even for one night. Sad
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy