Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Villars sur Orlon - info and ski-buddies?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi - I'm looking for some information on Villars sur Orlon... I'm taking the family there for a week with one of the Club Med deals that seems to be well set up for families... this is all well and good but it seems that in the eyes of tour operators the moment you have children, you become incapable of skiing anything beyond a blue slope and would far rather bimble around on some gentle pistes planning coffee stops with the vacuous couple from Nantwich with whom you'd never normally pass the time of day, than go explore back country or tempting looking chutes... (rant over)... anyway, can anyone tell me if Villars has much to keep a decent standard skier (main interest backcountry, ski-mountaineering, and touring) interested? Also - how easy would it be to find others to ski with for a few days (week of 6-13 March 2011)? either in Villars or a neighbouring resort... Any thoughts welcome - thanks, John
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

can anyone tell me if Villars has much to keep a decent standard skier (main interest backcountry, ski-mountaineering, and touring) interested?

Maybe you should have asked before you booked? For fear that the place is full of vacuous people from Nantwich (the birthplace of my dear, late, mother) who can only ski blue slopes?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Actually there won't be anybody from Nantwich, they'll all be French, so unless you speak good French you won't have anybody to talk to at all. Evil or Very Mad
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Not meant as a jibe at folks from Nantwich - but take it as you please. As for French I have no problem with the language and as for bookings when you're travelling with children of 3 and 5 there are limited possibilities... believe it or not that was and is my primary interest - if I can find someone to ski with great, if not fine - it is what it is.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
pam w, Thought Villars was in Switzerland, so no French but they will still be speaking French, whether that's better or worse, I dont know Puzzled
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Craghaddock, It's probably not helpful to point out that you do have 'responsibilities' to not go large in the backcountry. Keep yourself fit, well insured and wait till the wee snotminers are (at college) before going daft.

The alternative is not a ski/board buddy but a guide.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Villars is Switzerland, and French speaking, but there will be plenty of English there. Plenty of good skiing there with lots of off piste. Can't comment on backcountry but given location with Leysin and Les Diablerets nearby I would think you could find backcountry and touring.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Masque - thanks for the concern. Given that I tend to do 2-3 tours per year and have done for most of my adult life I'm comfortable with knowing the limits of my "envelop". Welshskier, thanks for the suggestion re: Les Diablerets, I hadn't thought about that one. Realistically, I'm just looking to see if there are any locals or seasonaires with whom to have a look for something interesting to do. Happy to travel a little for this. THanks again.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
At the top of Roc D'Orsay in Villars there are two popular bootpacks leading to some nice lines heading towards the Diablerets area. There's also plenty of slightly agricultural off-piste off and near the golf course.

The number of Dynafit bindings on skis locally would suggest that there is also plenty of touring to be got at if you can get hold of a guide or track down a group of locals, although whenever I'm there I tend to be on a boys weekend which has never been conducive to anything requiring so much planning (i.e. inappropriate with minging hangover).

I think the Swiss Alpine Club's local chapter is in Ollon, if that helps.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Zammo - thats great info - much appreciate the help, will take a look on the SAC site. Cheers.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy