Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Where to go

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I need some guidance on where to go in March.

Those involved are my 23 year old student son and I. He is in his final year at Uni so, due to his exams/course work we only have 7 days, Saturday to Saturday (or Sunday to Sunday). We are both black run skiers and have mainly skied in the US and Canada (predominantly in Whistler) , I have some Alpine experience in the Portes du Soleil and Gressoney/La Thuile/Cervinia.

We will need to fly from Scotland and so the likely destination airports would be Geneva, Turin or Innsbruck.

We would like somewhere which is no more than a 2 hour transfer, ideally less if we can.

Self catering apartment or bed and breakfast hotel preferably. We will likely eat out at night. Apres ski is not a requirement beyond a couple of pints and a meal. Fine dining is not a requirement but decent food is.

Ideally wherever we stay will be close to the slopes/lifts. We dont fancy buses. Also close to the evening meal etc.

Within reason price is not a determining factor ie we are not looking for a dormitory but neither are we wanting 5 star luxury. Good value accomodation in a resort where we can access, relatively easily, skiing which will entertain us for 6 days and where we can eat out probably every night and get a decent meal at a reasonable price is what we want.

Other than where I have already been (and going back to one of those might be an option) where fits that bill?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Black run skiers eh? Sounds like you need to go to St Anton, plenty of B&Bs to chose from (I like Haus Gamberg http://test.arlberg.info/haus-gamberg/index.php?lang=en - very frriendly owner and excellent breakfasts, and 10 mins easy walk to the lifts). It's under 2 hours from Innsbruck, also reachable from Zurich in about 2 1/2 hours.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
To arraive at Innsbruck then Solden/Obergurgl, Zillertal Valley (Mayrhofen, Hintertux) and Ski Welt (Soll, Westerndorf, Ellmau etc) would be nearer than St Anton in Arlberg.

Back runs? How about trying the steepest groomed black in Austria. It is called Harakiri in Mayrhofen which is also among the most affordable places in Austria. Mayrhofen is 67km from Innsbruck whereas to St Anaton it is 102 km.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
From Edinburgh you can also fly to Munich (with easyJet) or Salzburg (with Jet2), either of which would allow you to go to many of the Tirol resorts (e.g. Zillertal, Kitzbüheler Alps) or Salzburg (e.g. Ski Amadé, Obertauern). You're spoilt for choice!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Based on your abilities I would think St Anton would tick a lot of your boxes. Innsbruck just over an hour. TUI do the Edi to Inns flight - leaves at 0650, so if all goes according to plan you're in resort by lunchtime. The flights aren't cheap though and will cost around £250 each. Nasserein is the quieter end of town and cheaper. I've also stayed in Stuben which has great off piste on your doorstep and easy links to both St Anton and (by bus) Zurs and Lech. Stuben is very quiet and so are its pistes and again probably the cheapest base for the Arlberg region with lift access.
180km of ski routes in the area, on top of 280km of pistes
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
boabski wrote:
The flights aren't cheap though and will cost around £250 each

The prices I saw for the Jet2 flights to Salzburg were about £14 each way (+ extras)! Do the planes have wings Puzzled
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
malcolm1, I agree with others that Innsbruck is a good option and then on to Ischgl. Easy transfer and some excellent piste skiing including several great black runs.

Austria offers an excellent combination of value/quality when it comes to accomdation and food
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
malcolm1,

If you are just skiing onpiste then Ischgl has 48km (ca 20%) black runs.

If you are looking to ski offpiste then St Anton is your best bet. Be aware that as opposed to the US /Canada - very little is avy controlled here in Europe and there's no such thing as inbounds over here. Offpiste skiers are advised to have Transceiver, shovel, Probe and the knowledge on how to use these items along with avalanche training so that you have a much lower chance of having to use them.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
DB, the ski routes in St Anton (e.g. Mattun, Schindlerkar and many more) are avalanche controlled, but not groomed or patrolled, so there is actually a lot of "inbounds" controlled type terrain there. But I agree, to get the most from St Anton you need to be properly equipped to head off piste.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

malcolm1,

If you are just skiing onpiste then Ischgl has 48km (ca 20%) black runs.

If you are looking to ski offpiste then St Anton is your best bet

+1
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy