Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What length is right for me?

Poster: A snowHead
Sorry, the previous post I put on was wiped! Anyhow, I have skied for 30 years, ski pretty much everything (I guess nowadays 50/50 piste and off piste) and am 177cm tall, 85kgs. I have used skis in the past with a 66mm waist.

I was thinking about 160cm but my instant reaction says this might be a tad short!

Any ideas? As always, indebted in advance for the sage advice!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
About 170-175cm, and add 5cm for twin tips, and go fatter, 86mm minimum.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
kevin mcclean, definitely too short.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Ta very much to you all. Can you recommend a ski? I am about to stop using my Rossignol Open XP11's from 1987 so am entering a new world, so to speak!
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
kevin mcclean, I'd try some on demo rentals tbh. Get to know what the new ones feel like first.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Agree with Stoatsbrother. I'm on 177cm Volkl Mantra and similar height. You may find these ski's too wide if you haven't skied on something like this before (96cm waist). The best thing to do is try a few pairs out and generally if you purchase from the same shop they will knock the rental price off the purchase value. Don't get sucked in to all the marketing with the different type of skis. Keep a budget in mind and then see what works for you.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Wow.. why are you all skiing on such long ski's?

/me= 192cm on 175 ski's.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
So a 177cm person ought to be on..........?????
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
kevin mcclean, how much do you weigh? Some tall people are very skinny, some short ones are extremely fat. wink Makes a difference.

If you're moving to very different skis, might be a good idea to have a couple of private lessons with hired skis and ask the instructor for some recommendations when he/she knows how you ski.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Surely it depends on the type/category ski you're going to buy? First decide what ski/what type of ski you want. Then, if you are tall buy the longest ski in that model (most skis come in three or four sizes); if you're short buy the shortest ski, if you are average buy something in the middle of the range (making some adjustment if you are heavier or lighter than average for your height).
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thank you. It was much easier when I last bought skis in 1987: 195cm! Anyhow, have my eyes on a few models so I will see how we go!
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Eyeopener, how much do you weigh, how much off piste do you do, how good a skier are you etc etc etc etc etc...

or put it another way... why are you on such short skis? NehNeh
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
As with all of this; "it depends".

On the ski; how hard and agressive you ski and what you are sking on.

I'm about 175 cm (5 foot 9) and about 80kg and I teach on 160's; but play on 173's

As others have said; find a good shop; talk to them; agree a deal, as most have said; good shops will refund rental on a purchase.

And then try some...
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Ok, I got a BASI 3 in '88, have skied off piste extensively, started skiing in 1979, did quite a bit of junior racing (slalom) in the 80's, tend to ski fast (when safe to do so), still prefer a short radius turn (this is what happens when you leant in the 1970's!), did a season in 89, weigh 85 kgs, ski on a 195cm Rossi Open XP11, can use these off piste with no problems, can tackle most things (ie, happy to walk up big hills for snow, though now will think twice about this)......etc, etc, etc........

Can even monoski.........
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
kevin mcclean, Head Supershape Titans in 170cm. Pretty stiff, reasonably good performance on piste, little bit of extra width for off-piste compared to a regular piste ski. Alternatively the Rossignl 9X Oversize (or whatever it is called this season Ti...?) or something with a similar geometry and stiffness.

And try not to tell people you monoski...

wink
snow report
It all depends on what you like. The best thing I did was rent a different pair every day for a week, trying all sorts of ski. You really learn how different skis are and what they can do or not.

Many skis are talked of as being all-mountain and good at everything but tend to be jack of all trades and masters of known.

You are the same height and weight as me, your experience, liking shorter radius turns, 50/50 on/off-piste, with a bit of pace now and again sounds like me. I have skied on Rossignal 9 S oversize that are 11m radius and only 155cm long for the last 4 years. After skiing on 210cm 15 years ago and 187cm after that. It was only by trying different skis and lengths that I found the right ski for me. I would never have thought I go so short after my previous ski lenghts.

They are able to handle anything even in the thick stuff, except you have to be careful when you get in a tuck as they can certainly shoot off if your not paying attention or tired at the end of the day.

At least with the 9 S Rossies they are the master of short turns on even the iciest pistes and then can belt down the piste doing big GS turns. In the soft stuff they are wide at the tip and mine at 155cm short enough to be very manoeuvable in crude.

They are bit like driving a Caterham 7 they can be driven bl**dy quick with great handling on tight bends, but are easy to pootle about in when you want. At least they CAN go when you want them to !
ski holidays
kevin mcclean, Is is very difficult to answer your question, its more about your weight than how tall U are, and also how strong you are, and speed, for example, my skiis is 132/92/120 and 191cm, my weight is 84kg and I am 186cm, I used them for telemark, but the size will be no different. I have skiing all my life, have a look at "apres Zone" and look for skiing CV, and U can read mor about me,,
snow report
You are so modest freeheelskier wink
latest report
That was not to answer kevin mcclean,s question,Leeds_Skier, Where did U ski in Leeds? wink
snow report
Kevin, i also remember the 80s when it was cool to have skis that were taller than you ... i have a group photo somewhere where we are all standing holding our skis vertically, and I remember the trick was to rest the bottom end on your boot to make them look even longer in the photo.

The vanity of youth eh. These days I am most proud of my ability to walk down stairs unaided Very Happy
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy