Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Germany to Italy via Fernpass?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
We are travelling to Andalo/Paganella next weekend. We usually go via Germany but have taken the long route around Munich to Austria then Brenner pass into Italy. Have been tempted to use the fern pass but chosen not to in case of closure.
Any good sources of road conditions or advice on this route as it looks like it will save some time.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
bcfw, Rarely closed but it can be a bottle-neck with a lot of traffic going to western Austria. It also brings you a bit too far west of Innsbruck. Most of the high Alpine passes are now closed for the whole winter

Why not use the Garmisch-Mittenwald-Seefeld-Zirl route? This drops you down almost at Innsbruck and then you can pick up the motorway up over the Brenner.

I think most of the other routes into Italy via Austria are closed now and will not be cleared until the Spring. The obvious one from Imst (at the other end of the Fern Pass route) is the Trimmelsjoch at the end of the Öztal valley (Sölden and Obergurgl are on this route) and this is definitely now closed until April or May. It looks like the Reschenpass is open but for how much longer I would not like to guess.

All the routes from Germany into Austria required the use of snow chains at some time in the past 48 hours, except for the Munich A8 and the A12 Kufstein to Innsbruck motorway route.

We have a forecast of steady snow every day for the next week and temperatures well below zero even in the day time, so maybe the A8 and A12 route is the safest option.

All the routes will be fairly busy next weekend so the bottlenecks will most likely be:
Munich to Garmisch: the end of the A95 at Eschenlohe and the Farchant tunnel which by-passes part of Garmisch and brings you into Partenkirchen
Munich to Salzburg: the Brunntal interchange (aka Munich South) where the A8 and A99 meet.
A8: The Irschenberg (especially if it is a snowy Saturday and lorries are on the road)
The Inntal interchange near Rosenheim where the 3-lane A8 branches off into one lane feeding the A93 Rosenheim-Kufstein autobahn

In Austria: the A12 has some roadworks near Innsbruck east that are slowing down traffic (narrow lanes)
The Brenner was partially blocked today with HGVs that had either broken down or slewed across the road and lost control. But if the Austrian schools break up next week then there will be a ban on any HGVs transiting the whole weekend.

Hope this helps - give me a buzz later in the week and I can check the websites for you and update the info.

Sue wink
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks Sue this is really great info. We do have a Mitsubshi Shogun 4x4 with snow tyres and chains for all four corners. We don't want to find that we get part way and have to retreat with tails between our legs. In the past we have taken the longer route round Munich to Innsbruck. Our anticipated time in this area will be around 2-4am Sunday 19th Dec so will possibly have less traffic. Any further thoughts most welcome.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
bcfw, that is a good time and if the FernPass and Reschen are OK, you do have the most direct routes.

As I said, buzz me later in the week and I'll take a look. I'm an ADAC Plus member (sorted AA with bells and whistles) and can get up-to-date info for free by just sending a mail or checking into the web site with my membership number and password. I also have a link into the Bavarian police traffic info which is what all the radio stations use for their traffic reports. So at least until the border I'll have the latest info

Sue

wink
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks Sue, will make contact towards the end of the week.
Ben
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
bcfw, further to what Samerberg Sue has said, I've never known the Fernpass to be closed. I've also always managed to get over without having to resort to chains. I used to travel down to St.Anton every couple of weeks and always went over Fernpass. At that time of day I don't think you will experience any delays!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks for this. Are there any info websites that I can access on route. I have iphone/ipad 3g so will be able to access internet for latest info.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Steilhang, According to all the reports I was watching today, it was only open with snow chains today. But at least it meant that the HGVs were stopped from clogging it up Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Didn't even know it was a pass when I drove from Garmisch Partenkirchen to St Anton a few years back. Pretty mild stuff if its elevation is 1212m. A skier first clips on the skis can find himself at 1930m in Obergurgl or 2035m at Sestriere
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Samerberg Sue,
Hi Sue,
I have been looking at the webcams re FernPass and at present looks ok. I think the area is due some fresh snowfall during the weekend. In your opinion is this route worth considerring given the time taken to negotiate the pass in what could be tricky conditions or is it best just to plug on the A12/13 to and through Innsbruck to Brenner and Italy?
Regards,
Ben
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
not really relevant but I cycled up the Brenner pass ( old road) and then on to the Timmelsjoch at the end of August ( Otztaler Radmarathon) and I can guarantee you would not want to use the Timmelsjoch anytime over the winter, very steep drop offs and very little in the way of barriers...... and its steep!!!!!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
All the roads are OK at the moment - my question is really where do you want to go after you get into Austria? If the Reschenpass is still open it would save some miles but I'm not sure if it is still open or if it will stay open over the weekend.

If you plump for the Brenner route then look at going via Mittenwald and Seefeld that way you drop directly into Innsbruck via the Zirlerberg. Saves hacking out along the A8 and then more or less back in the opposite direction to Innsbruck along the A12.

We are forecast to get another big dump of snow over Thursday Friday, so ask again. If you are mobile at the weekend and have contact I can keep you posted as and when you want info. At this time of year things can change very very rapidly.

Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
heliphil,
Quote:
and I can guarantee you would not want to use the Timmelsjoch anytime over the winter
Timmelsjoch is closed over the whole winter. In fact it's usually closed from sometime in October till May or June, depending on circumstances.

By 'old road' you mean the normal 'non-toll' road? There are some really interesting alternative routes over the Brenner if you are in to MTB that is. There's also the old roman road over the Fernpass which is quite interesting Toofy Grin , but not in winter!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy