Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les Saisies - Are there any English speaking ski school & creche facilities?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
We are joining a group at a chalet in the centre of Les Saisies and would like to organise ski school and a creche for about 3 days so we can ski ourselves.

Does anybody have any advice on options for this in this resort?

ESF have ski school from 9.15 - 11.45, but then nothing between 11.45 and afternoon lesson at 2.15.

Our kids are aged 3 and 5.

Many thanks
L
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Mumof2, welcome to Snowheads. snowHead Options are a bit limited because this is a predominantly Francophone resort - there are certainly ski instructors who speak English, but all group lessons will be in French - I'm sure an instructor would do his/her best to say a bit in English to an English child, but if 11 out of 12 are French......

I don't think there is anywhere you could leave a child all day, let alone anywhere English speaking.

The ESF "Club Nounours" would take the little one - don't know the hours though. And the overall atmosphere would be French, which might be difficult for a little one. Best thing would be to telephone them. You could also telephone (or email) the Glisse Passion school. There's also an individual who minds children - see the Les Saisies website.

When are you going?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hi Pam - thanks for your prompt reply.

I have been on the phone to the tourist office, ESF and Passion Glisse (another ski school) in the resort, but when I didn't get much further another skier suggested SnowHeads!

We arrive on 27th Dec; with first ski day awkwardly on a Tuesday!
First time away with the kids but my husband and I have skied for about 10 years.
I'm quickly realising that joining another group from home may have its disadvantages, as the resort may not be too suitable for our needs.

Any advice you have is most welcome....

L
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
i think that individual childminder speaks english having done a search previously but in the time we've been going there with kids we have ended up sharing the care and skiing...if you are out in a chalet it might make more sense to juggle them between you unless there are other kids then might make sense to arrange some group lessons for them all together...making it easier to get the english slant on things.

I have the tourist office brochure on my desk i'll dig it out and see if there's anything in it...

David
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hi David

Thanks for that. Yes, we'll probably juggle the care/skiing as you suggest. Maybe I can get the childminder for a couple of afternoons.

If you have visited the resort before, have you any other "don't miss" suggestions? Activities for kids, restaurant recommendations etc?

Thanks
L
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Mumof2, Where are you staying, as a matter of interest? It's becoming less unusual to have English speaking visitors in Les Saisies but it remains a little known resort. You've spoken to all the right people.

For your older one I could certainly recommend a suitable ski instructor (Cathie - pronounced Katty of course - at Glisse Passion) for a private lesson but that's peak holiday time, so private lessons are likely to be limited to mid day, as the instructors will be busy. You can book individual sessions in the groups, but if your 5 year old is a complete beginner that's not going to work. You need private lessons, really,. My 6 year old grand-daughter (not a brave girl.....) had lessons with Cathie last year, and appeared to like and trust her. She's encouraging, but not too soft! Any lessons would need to be booked in advance. Other things being equal I'd suggest Glisse Passion. If Cathie not available, try Stéphane or Frank A (there are two Franks, I don't know the other one, but Frank A is very reliable, and speaks adequate English). I did have a lesson once with an ESF instructor who spoke impeccable English but he was rather snooty and took me down a very steep (deserted) drag lift in half a metre of powder, which was well beyond me, so I went right off him and expunged his name from my memory). Merdeur.

At that time of year everyone will be flat out - I do know an English speaking woman in the village, who sometimes does some child minding, but she'll definitely be working then.

I will be there, looking after my 10 month old grand-daughter. snowHead
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Pam, we are staying in Chalet d'Eleonore, above Piccard Sports, in the centre of the resort (apparently). The rest of our group (all with teenagers) have been going there for years.
Good advice re: Glisse Passion, I will ring them tomorrow.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Mumof2, yes, that's right in the middle - great location. snowHead It's possible Glisse Passion aren't fully open yet - the station isn't fully open till the 18th though some runs are open from tomorrow. It's a lovely resort for everything except English speaking child care!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hi Pam

Can you advise how far it is (in ski boots) for us to walk between Chalet d'Eleonore above Piccard Sports to ESF ski school near the bridge?

Is this possible with 2 kids in ski boots/carrying skis?

Any type of creche for over 4s seems to be non-existent; so we will need to collect them between 11.45 and 14.15.

Thanks for your help.

Lydia
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
can't be more than 75m, its paved so shouldn't be an issue i don't think Happy
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Mumof2, sorry missed your earlier ask on suggestions etc...

Well been a while since we sampled the nightlife given we've been with the kids 18m and 4yrs so most food was in the apartment but in the 10 or so seasons we've been going there never eaten badly anywhere to be honest.

Looking fwd to trying out Le Twister this year which is a sledge mounted on rails. 750m long and €5 a pop for two so seems reasonable value.

My kids have enjoyed the sledging to the left of the button lift at Lac and its close to the piste bashers which my son is hooked on so as they usually get parked up after the nightshift outside we've trundled up to nosey at them and also watched them head out at the end of the day. The lifties at Lac are also friendly and look out for the kids on the nursery button, I went up with my son a few times and they were pretty attentive.

There's plenty of paths to walk and drag the kids on sledges if you can't ski all the time and some of the bars/cafe's are easily accessible on skis if one is looking after kids while the other gets a few runs in.

If you have a car then Praz (linked to Saisies on the Diamant pass) is a nice place to visit...free magic carpet lift for the kids and possibly the area's quietest, gentle slopes if they are learning and want a run to themselves Happy and also a good park which can still be accessed in the snow with death slide etc.

Hope that helps
David
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

Can you advise how far it is (in ski boots) for us to walk between Chalet d'Eleonore above Piccard Sports to ESF ski school near the bridge?

Is this possible with 2 kids in ski boots/carrying skis?

It's very close. As David says, not more than about 75 yards. But the ESI (glisse passion) school is even closer!

That chalet is very central - nothing's going to be far from there.

And if you are collecting the kids (at either ski school) after their morning lesson it's pretty convenient - and there are several not-too-expensive cafés nearby, if you don't want to sort out lunch in the chalet.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Mumof2, Hello.. I´m Scandinavian,, living in france,, Les Saisies is a very french resort,, that means that it could a little difficult to let a little kid in a group, with french kids,, there is alot of resort in the alps with english speaking in the groups,,, I just wondering how U had think here, to go to Les Saisies ?????? It´s a very nice resort if U speak just a little french,,,,, but if U not speak nothing,,,, I have seen alot of English people go to the Pyrenees, and complain about that the crew at the resort not speaking any english,,,,, U can make your own choice and take care about if there is any english speaking at the resort before make the reservation,,,, but anyway,,, have a nice week in Les Saisies
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy