Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Android GPS enabled phones and sking question

Poster: A snowHead
Looking for an Android app to measure speed, average, max etc
and also distance covered

Has anyone here any experience of these , are they accurate
and do they use data

Not really interested in overlaying the route on google maps
Dont want the phone to use data (while abroad) could be expensive, so hoping GPS signal is all that is required to calculte speed, distance
Here are two I came accross

http://www.appbrain.com/app/speedometer/com.sportstracklive.android.ui.activity.speedometer
http://www.appbrain.com/app/sportstracker/com.sportstracklive.android.ui.activity.lite

Thanks
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Bump
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Bump
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I use My Tracks you can find it on the Android Apps Market its a free app.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Fogliettaz wrote:
I use My Tracks you can find it on the Android Apps Market its a free app.

Myself also
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I'll give that a try, does My tracks record your route, when the phone is in power save or do you need to keep the app open (not minimised) and does it use data or just GPS signal
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
The app remains open and recording when in powersave mode until you press stop recording and turn the GPS off, unless of course it runs the battery down first!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Sportypal. get it from Android market.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I know you said you didn't want google overlays, but I use EveryTrail with a Holux GPS datalogger... and it does everything you want....
and then I can geotag my photos into my tracks
see http://www.everytrail.com/view_trip.php?trip_id=564087

Their android phone app is here http://www.everytrail.com/android

but even better is fellow snowhead's fishslice Chuffnuts GPX conversion that highlights lifts and runs... see http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=42481

which looks like this with distance, speed max, etc

Smile snowHead
edit spelling
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
The benefit with the last option in WayneC's post above is that if there are any missing features that any snowHead needs then i can generally add it, just ask.

Thanks Wayne Happy
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Hi Kittenski,does mytracks use data or just GPS
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
kendub, I think mytracks just uses GPS, but overlays it on Google maps. Have used mine a couple of times and find it very straightforward. Syncs with Google maps very easily. It warns you that vertical measurements are not as accurate as horizontal, which is my experience.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
kendub wrote:
Hi Kittenski,does mytracks use data or just GPS

GPS for the measurement, data to upload/share it....
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hi Kendub, I recently made a thread on a similar topic, I too didn't want to incur data charges while in Andorra, but I did want to overlay onto google etc.

I think I'm going to pay for Satski (pro?), making sure to download the maps before I go. Although I'm going to download some of the free ones as well just in case I don't get on with Satski.

I'll try and remember to post a little review when I get back.

Good luck

Grim.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Just to clarify....

The mytracks WILL work without a data connection it uses the free GPS sensor of the phone to record the track, If you dont have a data connection at the time you will see the track on the blank grid screen.

To ensure you dont incur data roaming charges you set the option in the phone setup - settings / mobile networks / enable data roaming(untick)
ski holidays
Hey Kendub,

This is SatsportsNA and I think we've got just what you're looking for.

Satski is a ski/boarding app that's available for your Android (plus iPhone, BlackBerry, Windows and soon Nokia). It's $9.99 for a one year license and gives acces to all reorts plotted.

Satski will give you your live stats (speed, distance, altitude, vertical skied etc.) plus navigation, replays and more. You're in luck with your Android because most of these devices have a good GPS antennae (we've tested most of them) that doesn't require a cellular signal. In fact, we use Androids here in Canada and we can even remove the SIM card (or turn off data roaming) and the results are excellent. In fact, of all the platforms, only Satski for iPhone requires a SIM and connection.

Of course the other features like Buddy Tracking, Live Weather, direct dial, direct web links etc. will require a cellular connection.

We're good to go for about 318 ski areas worldwide - loads in Europe - visit www.satsportsNA.com for a complete list and tips on using GPS. These are the standard features:

Real-time user location
Point-to-point route finding
Real-time data - speed, vertical, distance
Resort information
Emergency features
Live weather updates
Buddy tracking (not on iPhone)
Google Earth 3D replay
Sharing on Facebook & Twitter (mid-december release)
Over 300 ski resorts in 12 countries worldwide
Free Analytics with Stats Viewer

One note is that you will require a connection to download the map of the resort you're going to. We suggest doing so either before you go, or alternatively, once there, find a wi-fi connection and download the map. If you do have to use your data for some reason, the map is quite small so should be a minor charge.

Happy skiing!

The SatsportsNA POW Posse
snow conditions
Maprika turned out to be a great app this ski trip.. with overlaid piste maps... but you have to download the relevant maps beforehand when you are connected to wi-fi ...
snow report
From the other thread, looks like you were in Dolomites? If so, then free WiFi at lifts if you needed any missing map etc. Smile

I just use Endomondo. Mainly cos that's what I use when walking, mountainbiking, cycling, etc. (and google maps has lifts/pistes now for several resorts, although there are definitely some discrepancies in Dolomiti Superski area)
snow report
Yes, Dolomites but I couldn't get free wi-fi with +44 phone but would have had to pay small fee... so didn't bother as we had wi-fi in the chalet. Also keep meaning to check out the lift pass to see how close they overlap...

Thanks I'll have a go with Endomondo on the MTB at the week-end...
ski holidays
The online pass checker? It's mostly about right, iirc, but misses out any runs you do after the last uplift (unless it's been fixed).
snow report
I use Endomondo for cycling here inAbu Dhabi and the elevation is decidely iffy - often below sea level !!. I understand they want to get the elevation from Google Maps but that is not free - hence the basic version of Endomondo relies on GPS which is only accurate to +/- 25m in elevation. Fine for biking for exercise - but might add up over an active day skiing.
ski holidays
Dubaian, gives me a fixed offset from reality when using the phone app, but still pretty much consistent at the end of a ride. I tend to use a real Garmin to record when in the mountains (with barometric altimeter), and save the phone for use as a phone. Only really use the app for local rides.
latest report
You could also try GPS Essentials. Free on Google play, does not need data, can show on maps, reasonably accurate, lots of features. Very Happy
snow report
skitracks
ski holidays
Was really impressed with skitracks, level of data is amazing. But would love an app that ticks off the runs I've done on a ski map of the given resort I'm in (maybe if they were all red on the ski map and turn green when you do them. Really surprised none of the resort apps I've gotten thus far have this. Wonder if it has anything to do with places overstating the kms of pistes?
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy