Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Bad Gastein

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,

Anyone been to Bad Gastein,

thinking of doing a 4 day trip.

Thanks

R.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Spent a long weekend there the final weekend of the 2007/8 season. Thought it was absolutely awesome, but that might be because it snowed 20cs the night we arrived, stayed cold and my sister and I basically had the mountain to ourselves! We flew to Salzburg and hired a car but it's super accessible by train too if you need that, with the station literally a stone's throw from the gondola.

Seriously pretty spa town and typical varied Austrian terrain, and you can ski the linked Bad Hofgastein and bus it to the glacier at Sport Gastien, so you're pretty much guaranteed snow.

For what it's worth I'd go back there.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
robin.gray, the snow is amazing there at the moment, it´s pretty high, great off piste but maybe not the best choice if you have beginners with you. What oz5000, about the spas, they are great, laying out in the thermal waters surrounded by snow...magic!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
oz5000, no glacier at Sport Gastein but some brilliant off-piste and a super uncrowded snow bowl. Tends to be very quiet most of the time as many skiers do not want to take the bus or pay the extra toll to get up there.

robin.gray, I can only echo kooky's comments except she forgot to mention that the sauna areas are fabulous but absolutely no swimsuits permitted in the saunas. I love the spas at both Bad Gastein (ski down and cross the road straight into the Felsenbad) and Bad Hofgastein. Perfect way to round off a hard day's skiing.

Toofy Grin
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Samerberg Sue, my bad, the road was closed when we were there so never actually made it up to Sport Gastein. Sorry for the misinformation robin.gray,
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Sport Gastein is indeed awesome. Do not overlook it. Also do not overlook the Graukogel area. It's small, but packs a big punch. Graukogel has a lot of tree cover, so is a good option if the weather is difficult. On the other hand, Sport Gastein is useless in poor visability (having said that, do not ignore the trees at the bottom of the mountain, a lot of people mistakenly seem to stay on the top half of the hill).
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I like Bad Gastein too!!! Laughing snowHead

Echo what everyone has said, it's a great place. Sportgastein is one of my favourite places. The only problem with Sportgastein is if the weather's bad in the valley, it can be terrible up there ... but when it's nice, it's a great! However if you like carving big wide turns on rolling reds, i've never been to a better place. When i'm there, I get up to Sportgastein as soon as I can.

Like Ami says, go to the Graukogel too if you like blacks. Often very quite.

robin.gray, I have LOADS of info on the town, skiing, apres ski, recommneded restuarants, etc. Happy to pass on the info if you're interested - PM me with your email.

Cheers
Kersh
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
A fairly good start to the season! snowHead

http://youtube.com/v/TCI9eWMtGJ4
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Sweet Very Happy
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Kersh, Nice. Will be there in January Very Happy
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Also, don't overlook a trip down to Dorfgastein on the ski bus, well worth the trip!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Kersh, how good does that look, reminded me of cat skiing in Canada, It just seems to be one of those places that slips under the radar.

Samerberg Sue, have you skied krippenstein and if so what's the lowdown on that?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Bad Gastein itself is an awful, well known ( by the Austrians ) ruined town.
If you go there you will see why.....!
Sportgastein is fab as is the skiing at Bad Hofgastein.
I would stay in Bad Hofgastein,great spa centre and good access to pistes.
There are however,much better resorts in the Ski Amade area near Salzburg.
All my humble opinion of course........
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
immer schuss, i'd be interested to know when you last visited the resort as there's been some decent improvements to the town although I admit, short of what's needed. There are loads of old buildings in the centre owned by the same bloke who is refusing to sell .... it's a long story! Nevertheless, 2 new lifts in the last 2 years plus a load of new chalets built near me that, for the cheapest one, you won't get much change out of €2m (and they're all gone!), the place is on the up.

Kersh
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Gsyfreerider, no I haven't yet, but if you look at Bergfex you should get some useful info:

http://www.bergfex.com/krippenstein/

Kersh, forget it - this site is full of people who have "heard" somewhere is bad or had a poor snow trip or an instructor who was not complimentary about the SBS skiing style and therefore the whole resort is damned forever. Some even going so far as to say that Austria is too low even for skiing Laughing rolling eyes

wink
snow report
Samerberg Sue, true. You can see the Eastern Alps never get ANY snow from the clip I posted! Laughing

Hope all is well in your neck of the woods. wink

Cheers!
snow conditions
Samerberg Sue, this site is indeed full of annoying people, the ones that most annoy me are those who are relentlessly chauvinistic about their favoured resorts/countries.
snow report
Kersh, yes - it's snowing Laughing Not sure what to do - should I return to France? Laughing
ski holidays
Samerberg Sue wrote:
Kersh, yes - it's snowing Laughing Not sure what to do - should I return to France? Laughing

Nah!!! snowHead Let it snow ..... wink
snow report
I'm in Bad Hofgastein the week of January 8-15. Are any of you going to be there then?
snow report
rich.ll, no but make sure you do runs H1 and H2 from the top of Bad Hofgastein all the way back to the valley. It's the longest run in the Eastern Alps - something like 14km in total! snowHead

Oh and don't overlook the spa, it's well worth the visit!

Have fun!

Kersh
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy