Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski schools in Morzine

Poster: A snowHead
Afternoon Very Happy

On my lunch break at work and thought I'd do a little more planning for my holiday.

Still haven't decided what sort of ski lesson package I need to organize for myself (so confuddled!) but decided to ignore that for now and at least hopefully decide on which ski school to use... I can't believe how pants I am at organizing things and making decisions! rolling eyes

So can I please have your reccomendations on which ski schools to use in Morzine?

Thankies Very Happy
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
BASS.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
We put our kids (then 7 and 9) in Avoriaz Alpine Ski School (AASS) last Easter and they loved it. Having done several seasons of ESF lessons we got annoyed on two counts:
a) Taking our money for adult lessons at Level 4 & 5 (top end) and then on the morning of the first lesson saying that we were the only ones in the class and that we could either join in a Level 3 class or convert a whole week's lessons into a single private lesson. We took option 3 - get the money back but by then the other schools were full.
b) The fact that our kids kept on being the only English speaking guys in the class and put with an instructor who refused to speak English to them.

AASS are all native English speaking (OK- I think one of their guys was French but spoke perfect English) and the group sizes are small - they say no more than 8 but our guys were in groups of 4 or 5. As a result our children came on really well that week. On one particularly bad weather day my wife and I happened to ski past the younger son's group as he was having a meltdown due to general tiredness. Ian McKellar, his instructor and Director of the school, handled him really well and we happened to stop in the same cafe for a hot chocolate stop. He went and got the drinks for the kids, made sure they all had something hot plus some chocolate, went to the toilet, made sure X took her inhaler, etc. - didn't just abandon them for a free coffee.

AASS do kids group lessons to all standards and basic (1-2 wks) adult group lessons. They also do adult private lessons.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Millie10, I can highly recommend Tim Jackson of LGS - see here: http://www.skischool.co.uk/ I've never skied with any of his three partners though.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hurtle wrote:
Millie10, I can highly recommend Tim Jackson of LGS - see here: http://www.skischool.co.uk/ I've never skied with any of his three partners though.

+1 for Tim Scott. For some unknown reason he is a particular hit with the ladees... wink

I don't know one of his instructors, but I can also speak highly for Mark "Apples" Aplin and Tim Jackson. If you book with this school, call and discuss your requirements with Tim, as these guys have different styles and will be stronger with certain types of student/requirements.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
BASS!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Andy Jerman used to be at BASS in Morzine. He's a really nice guy, cracking instructor and is also one of the BASI teachers for other instructors.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
BASS
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Will 3rd or 4th (or whatever we're up to) Tim Scott/LGS and/or BASS (He taught me when he was a BASS instructor)
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
BASS or AASS.

From what I've seen sitting on lifts ESF are a waste of money, numerous instances of instructors leading a 15 kid chain down the slopes and not once looking back at their pupils. To top it off they usually can't be arsed to hold a proper stance so the kids can't even copy how to ski. Just my opinion, I'm sure some are fine.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Another vote for Tim Jackson - he taught us last year through Inspired to Ski. They run ski clinics through the year at Morzine, but may be be aimed more towards intermediates.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
ajpaul, that's how I met Tim Jackson too - ItS in Courchevel last year and in Tignes last week.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
BASS
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Lots of good instructors in the area:

- Joe Beer - www.alpinelearningcurves.co.uk
- Mo & Sally Duffy and the rest of the crew at www.thesnowinstitute.com (TSI)
- BASS
- Tim Jackson
- Tim Scott
- Inspired to Ski (who do courses locally)

Frankly, there's not a duff one between them. About half of them train other instructors (as well as Andy).

Who / which is "best" for you depends on what you want.

Do you want a group or private? What's your level? Are you confident or nervous? Do you prefer male or female instructors? Do you want to focus on something specific, like bumps or carving?

Let me know and I can recommend.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thanks for the replies Smile

FlyingStantoni

Ideally I would like a week of morning group lessons. No preference on male or female instructors. Main reason I want lessons is so I'm not skiing on my own all week as I'm going with a friend who isn't going to be skiing.

Level wise .. never skied on snow before! But I have been having lessons twice weekly on dry slopes for six months. On the dry slopes I'm happy carving and can do short radius parallel turns.

Apparently the place I'm staying is very near to the lifts so getting to Avoriaz is pretty easy I'm led to believe so ski schools there might be easier than skiing down to morzine to meet before having to head back up again.
snow report
Millie10, do you know which lift you're near? Pleney, Super Morzine or Prodains.

If Prodains then you want to go with Avoriaz Ski School as above.

If Pleney or Super Morzine then you'll be closer to BASS or The Snow Institute.
latest report
Quote:

But I have been having lessons twice weekly on dry slopes for six months

Millie10, you're so going to enjoy having real snow!
snow conditions
Flyingstantoni,

Just checked where I'm staying and it says "The chalet is just 100m from the Prodains telecabine for Avoriaz and you can ski back via the home run from Avoriaz to the chalet"

So am I best going with a ski school in Avoriaz?
snow report
Quote:

So am I best going with a ski school in Avoriaz?

Yes. You'd spend 10-15 minutes getting to Morzine for lessons, not fun. Whereas you'll be in Avoriaz in about the same (via Prodains cable car), and you'll be ready to go.
snow conditions
andyph + 1
snow conditions
Mo & Sally Duffy @ The Snow Institute.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy