Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

how do i adjust ski boot forward lean

Poster: A snowHead
my boots have too much forward lean for my style sking and do not have an adjustment option so I have spent the last 2 trips stuffing doubled up ski socks between the boot and the inserts (shin area)to reduce the angle which actually works well but obviously not a long term fix.
besides buying new boots is there some sort of thick pad i can attach to the boot inserts for a more permanent fix?
have searched the net but cannot find anything.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
You may be able to pack up the toe piece of the binding and reduce the delta angle, but this is a job for an expert. Alternatively you could work on stretching your hamstrings (best) or pack up the heel.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
jbob, yeah have looked into the binding option but was told it would be very difficult as the bindings are on rails Puzzled . also have done the heel thing+ hamstrings are fairly good flex wise. the bindings option would be perfect if it was possible
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
you can get a gas pedal fitted under your boot if it's a plug based version.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
SMALLZOOKEEPER, if your not taking the pee and there is such a thing please explain as I have no idea what you mean.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Lifting the toe piece of your ski boot, thus less flex required to push tips into the turn.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
just out of curiouslity, what makes you think you have too much forward lean?
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
for me to get pressure on the front of my boot I have to almost have my upper body over the tips of my skis (slight exageration) have done ski course recently and ski instructor agreed. seemingly my boot type have a more forward tilt than the norm.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
creedgearoid, just read the last post ands it is not making too much sense...... it would suggest that you may have limited flexion at the ankle which is stopping you pressuring the front of the boot...if so a heel lift will open the ankle joint and give you more range of motion... it may just be the way you have worded the post though

one other thing to check, measure around your calf at the top of he boot...... if it is over 14" circumference then you are being pushed forward than you should be in the average boot (what boot are you in BTW) for every 1" above 14" you are being pushed forward by around 1/3" ...it doesn't take long before you are being pushed way over the front and getting serious quad burn

if hat is not the problem then there are a couple of things that can be done a gas pedal as SZK described is a lifter placed on the toe of the boot to tip it back a bit, this can only be done on a solid soled boot and by a limited number of places. the cuff of some boots can also be removed and re-riveted in a more upright position, again this can only be done on some boots and limited places will do it

hope that helps
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
CEM, sorry its a bit hard to explain but if I stand on the floor in my boots im in an uncomfortable forward position ie quad burn, so if i put a thick piece of carboard under the front of the boots it makes my stance much more comfortable. have tried the heel lift to no avail. reckon I have good ish ankle flex also.
re calf measurement, sorry for being thick but do I measure my calf itself or the boot with my calf in it? my boots are salomon impact8cs.
sounds like the gas pedal option would be ideal but will this not block the boot front from fitting into the ski binding?
by the way I tried but failed to get an appointment with you a few months ago as we couldnt match our available dates + me living in I reland made it very difficult
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
If you have large calfs then you may be being pushed forwards as CEM says, have you tried removing the spoilers to see how that feels?
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
creedgearoid, Your description of your stance (with pressure on the front of the cuffs)worries me a little? just out of interest what angle to the skis is your upper body when your start to get a good pressure on the front of the boot.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
anarchicsaltire, yes have removed the spoilers def not large calfskevindonkleywood, not sure I understand the Q but at a guess its only a slight forward angle for upper body ie 80 degrees approx to the ski. I'll try to explain again. for me to engage the front of the ski I need to flex forward very aggressively and it just does not feel right. as I said in first post when I stuff packing (ski socks) down the front of the boots/shins its a magor improvement
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
creedgearoid, the impact has a fair amount of forward lean but not an excessive, the gas pedal will not work on that boot, it has a replaceable sole pad, the reason it needs to be a solid sole is because when you put the plate on the bottom of the boot you then need to run a router round the top to cut off the same amount that has been put on the bottom, it cannot be doen safely on a boot with a replaceable sole pad as the toe lug is hollow

you could try an eliminator tongue pad, but i am not too keen on them, bit like sticking a plater on a gaping wound, they work to a point but not a really permanent solution

the calf measurement is of your calf at the point where the boot ends, you will be amazed how a little difference there can make a big difference to stance
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
guess im stuck so unless i get new boots or skis and dont reckon i can justitify that as they have both only done 2 weeks sking. anyone want a pair atomic momad blackeye skis 164???
ski holidays
Quote:

the calf measurement is of your calf at the point where the boot ends, you will be amazed how a little difference there can make a big difference to stance

if it's too big CEM will run a router round it - problem solved. Blush
snow report
creedgearoid wrote:
my boots have too much forward lean for my style sking and do not have an adjustment option so I have spent the last 2 trips stuffing doubled up ski socks between the boot and the inserts (shin area)...

I had a similar problem with the combination of my old Technica boots and Rossi skis. 3 piste maps between tongue and shell worked for one season and much less compressible than socks or the foam eliminators. Permanent solution was new Head Raptor boots from CEM.
snow report
Not that I know anything about boot fitting but I am curious about this thread.

The OP indicates too much forward lean for their style of skiing which I do not really understand but does it involve being unable to put enough pressure on the front of the ski?. If that is the case is it no possible that the binding may be set too far back on the rail? with the skiers weight being "behind centre" as it were.

I'll get me coat...
latest report
Has anyone (esp Bootfitters) ever tried/used this?

Quote:
Do your ski boots have you out of balance?
Recently we ( Mike Tambling and Sean Tambling ) have been doing kinesioligy tests on all our bootfitting customers.
Our test consists of:
#1. Customer standing in their buckled boots.
#2. Customer standing in a natural stance with their hands and arms held up and out to the side.
#3. I instruct the customer to resist with all their ability the downward force that I will put on their arms.
#4. Then I pull down on their arms as hard as it takes to make their arms go down.
If the customer is in balance I probably wont be able to pull their arms down much. If they are out of balance it will be very easy to pull their arms down. We have found that approx. 60% of the skiers we have seen are out of balance to the front.

To test this type of testing, try it in your tennis shoes on a hard flat surface, stand up, with arms up and out to your side, have some one try and pull your arms down to your side. Right after this, Stand on a ski magazine (or any other 1/2" thick book or magazine) so that you have about half of your tennis shoes on top and half off. Then, again put your arms up and out to your side and have them pull down on your arms again. You will find it is easier to pull your arms down when you are out of balance.

The reason for all this testing is that, if you are in balance you are a much stronger person i.e. skier than if you are out of balance. If you are too far forward in your ski boots you will have to sit back to the rear to get yourself back in balance. You might feel like you are leaning too far forward otherwise. Toe cheese (or plastic shims) may need to be placed under the toe of your binding to get you into a more upright stance, or the shaft of the boot may need to be straightened up so that you stand more erect. If you are balanced to far to the rear you may need heel lifts either inside the boot to get you forward. In some cases (as in my case) you may need both heel lifts and toe cheese to get you balanced. It all depends on your anatomy.

Skier in a Neutral Position.
Skier in a too far forward Position.
Skier in a too far back Position.

Have a good bootfitter or Master Bootfitter check your balance. If you are out of balance get it fixed and become a much stronger skier.

http://custom-bootfitting.southernski.com/out-of-balance.html
latest report
DB wrote:
Has anyone (esp Bootfitters) ever tried/used this?

Quote:
Do your ski boots have you out of balance?
Recently we ( Mike Tambling and Sean Tambling ) have been doing kinesioligy tests on all our bootfitting customers.
Our test consists of:
#1. Customer standing in their buckled boots.
#2. Customer standing in a natural stance with their hands and arms held up and out to the side.
#3. I instruct the customer to resist with all their ability the downward force that I will put on their arms.
#4. Then I pull down on their arms as hard as it takes to make their arms go down.
If the customer is in balance I probably wont be able to pull their arms down much. If they are out of balance it will be very easy to pull their arms down. We have found that approx. 60% of the skiers we have seen are out of balance to the front.

To test this type of testing, try it in your tennis shoes on a hard flat surface, stand up, with arms up and out to your side, have some one try and pull your arms down to your side. Right after this, Stand on a ski magazine (or any other 1/2" thick book or magazine) so that you have about half of your tennis shoes on top and half off. Then, again put your arms up and out to your side and have them pull down on your arms again. You will find it is easier to pull your arms down when you are out of balance.

The reason for all this testing is that, if you are in balance you are a much stronger person i.e. skier than if you are out of balance. If you are too far forward in your ski boots you will have to sit back to the rear to get yourself back in balance. You might feel like you are leaning too far forward otherwise. Toe cheese (or plastic shims) may need to be placed under the toe of your binding to get you into a more upright stance, or the shaft of the boot may need to be straightened up so that you stand more erect. If you are balanced to far to the rear you may need heel lifts either inside the boot to get you forward. In some cases (as in my case) you may need both heel lifts and toe cheese to get you balanced. It all depends on your anatomy.

Skier in a Neutral Position.
Skier in a too far forward Position.
Skier in a too far back Position.

Have a good bootfitter or Master Bootfitter check your balance. If you are out of balance get it fixed and become a much stronger skier.

http://custom-bootfitting.southernski.com/out-of-balance.html

frequently...

i know Mike Tambling pretty well, he is a good guy and a fellow C.Ped
snow report
DB, Quite well put that, however I tend to use this straight after. wink

ooops, wrong link.
Toofy Grin
latest report
Hi jacking this post, I just measured my calves at boot top level and it comes to 17", is it time to find a master boot fitter?
snow conditions
The reason to come back to this thread for creedgearoid is that some boot fitters (not CEM of course) seem to think that it is not possible to have too much forward lean. It is. If the aim is to apply pressure on the tip of the ski by leaning into the front of the boot the angle at which the skier ends up depends on the net ramp angle of ski and boot which may be too great by design, because the boot is too big or the liner has packed out.

The end result is as DB quotes
Quote:
If you are too far forward in your ski boots you will have to sit back to the rear to get yourself back in balance. You might feel like you are leaning too far forward otherwise.

and
http://youtube.com/v/41llqEmmlQI

The answer is to open up the angle which is not the same as moving the binding fore and aft.

SD

I'm no boot fitter but I have feet and I have boots
snow conditions
stiffdrink wrote:
If the aim is to apply pressure on the tip of the ski by leaning into the front of the boot

Out of interest, and this isn't a personal attack but the quote sums it up well for me - can anyone explain why you'd actually want to do this?

Does flexing at the ankle actually do anything to a ski that's flat on the ground? Try it...
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy