Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

All funding for skiing cut in the run up to Sochi Winter Olympics

Poster: A snowHead
The BBC are reporting that all funding for alpine skiing has been cut through until the Winter olympic Games in Sochi in 2014.

Can't imagine that's going to help Chemmy's recovery Sad
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Ditto, but I can't say I'm hugely surprised unfortunately. I wonder how many other countries would cut funding that would go help support an athlete ranked 8 in the World?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
might well be because the moneymaker aint gonna be shakin for quite a while
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Indeed, frustrating but not surprising. All sport is results based now - if you aint in the frame then you aint getting no money. Obviously the crux is preventing a perpetual decline!!!!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

ranked 8 in the World

An often quoted fact but that was in the combined discipline. Not knocking that achievement for one nano-second because she left a few stars like Maze and Mancuso trailling but, in case anyone is confused, it isn't quite the same as being ranked 8th best ski racer in the world. Her overall rank across all disciplines was 40th at the end of last season (including 26th in GS, 24th in SuperG which isn't too shabby). Any way you look at it, she was right up there ploughing a lonely farrow and yet in with a shot at a podium sooner or later, so for all funding to disappear is a disaster. It seems we'll always just be "the plucky Brit".
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Funny how all the money from skiing & snowboarding has gone to Skeleton Bob. Why oh why do they need £3.4M!!??
Thats an increase of nearly 50%. They'll be using gold plated tea trays soon!
Can't UK sport se that if you give more money to a sport that is already succeeding and take it away from one that really needs it that sport will really suffer.
We have some very talented young skiers and snowboarders in all disciplines who will probably now not have a chance of getting to the Olympics due to the lack of funding.
It has nothing to do at all with Chemmy's injury but purely down to people who do not have any understanding of how sport needs to be funded. They just look at targets and allocate money accordingly.
Having a real vested interest in this I could go on and on and on about how with proper funding, like skeletn have got, skiing would succeed as well!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Yes what will £3.4million be used on? We (cross country) could do a good job with less than 10% of that! We beat our targets at the olympics last year - we managed to get 4 athletes to olympic qualifiaction standard and get 3 starts. Starting from no where when if you'd said at the beginning of the last olympic cycle we'd even get one athlete qualified no one would beleive you. All our athletes are young and are improving year on year, we have a number of good juniors coming through aswell.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I find it curious that at schools these days a lot of the sports seem to be placing the emphasis on taking part rather than winning but when it comes to funding our government place a far greater importance on the number of medals our sportsmen and women manage to bring home, sad really but no surprise is it
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Maybe if we're going to cut money from sports we're never going to win at we should stop the millions that get poured into football - cos we ain't ever going to win an international tournament ever again !
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
mobskaardal, I'd agree with that or maybe we should impose a special tax on pro footballers that would fund other sports, I'm sure a fair number wouldn't even notice a few hundred thousand going out of their account, they probably spend that in bars over a year Evil or Very Mad
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
i suppose that after a womens's individual gold in the skeleton and a world championship winning pair in the womens bob they were right to divery (some of) the cash in that direction. They have proven their credentials and rightly should be supported. Unfortunately we've yet to do that on the skiing side for me...Chemmt is a great athlete but at times inconsistent for whatever reason, sures there are plenty. Equally on the mens side we have had odd runs in the W/C where we show form but not consistently. Agreed that there needs to be funding and organisational consistency but on the run up to another games it makes sense to back proven winners to bolster their ability to retain medals.

Now, having said all that £3.4 million is a massive amount of money, why that cannot be distributed more fairly i have no idea and I think it should be 'matched' funding from private companies to try and remove the peaks and troughs of finance from all to nothing seems madness.

Totally agree that the money in football is criminal and a mechanism to even better distribute that across the leagues should be found, let alone into other sports where GB is represented.

just my 2p
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
skinutter wrote:

Now, having said all that £3.4 million is a massive amount of money, why that cannot be distributed more fairly i have no idea and I think it should be 'matched' funding from private companies to try and remove the peaks and troughs of finance from all to nothing seems madness.

But is 3.4m really a lot of money?

How much does it cost to run one persons campaign? As they are all doing all dispilines and mutiple skis in each; now we assume Atomic may have been providing Chemmy with some kit; was it all free? if not; there is a few quid gone there! 4 events - SL, GS, SG and DH. 5 pairs of each prepped for each?

Coaches do not come cheap

Physio ditto; do they share?

Hotels for all of the above plus space for kit and workshopping?

Flying around the globe? And transporting the kit too....

When I was part of the 96 development squad(sailing), the guys who went to Savannah were banging a big hole in 100+K per annum and that was 15 years ago!!

How many planes do these guys get on a year?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
i guess put like that then absolutely, £3.4m IS a lot of money to invest in mid-low table results Confused yes unfortunately...
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
What I don't understand is the dearth of private sponsorship deals. It seems that British based companies just don't think it's worth their while to sponsor skiers/winter sports in the UK. If that's the case, I wonder why? Any marketing folks out there who can answer this? How would say, SnR or EB measure the benefit of sponsoring Chemmy for 2 years? How would they consider the goodwill it would generate?

If the bbc started ski sunday soon, it would mean more tv exposure and hence more sponsorship
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

Yes - it would easily fund the xc squad with plenty to spare for the alpine squad, skier cross squad, and all the snowboarding disciplines
latest report
Dave Horsley wrote:
Quote:

Yes - it would easily fund the xc squad with plenty to spare for the alpine squad, skier cross squad, and all the snowboarding disciplines

Really? How big would that squad be? 20 riders plus coaches and back room staff?
ski holidays
The whole ski budgets as far as I recall before beeing cut were in the region of £200-350k depending on year of which sod all went to xc. If you look on here:

http://www.bnds.org.uk/

You can see the size of the squad and the coaching team . There is also some info on funding - most of it is self funded, though some of the athletes have some personal sponsorship/funding. Often the athletes will be doing their own ski prep. depending whether they are on their own or if they are at a race as part of team. They are a young team who are steadily getting better with limited financial support see here for details:
http://www.bnds.org.uk/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=21&Itemid=18
snow conditions
Problem in this country is that whilst the elite performers are extremely professional in their approach, many sports are still administered by amateur organisations.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy