Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Boots suitable for touring and downhill bindings?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Morning. I was wondering what boots are on the market which would be suitable for both touring (Fritichi) and standard downhill bindings. I appreciate that a boot that will fit both will be something of a compromise, but for the amount of skiing I actually do, I'd rather have one boot to do everything. How would the Scarpa Tornados perform, the soles look very smooth? (A friend has a pair for sale)

Thanks Smile
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
any boot except dynafit only boots will fit fritschis and alpine bindings
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
What about the issue with vibram soles not releasing from downhill bindings properly? Also, downhill performance, whilst not a priority, is still something I'd like to have.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
dynafit zuess or titan both have 2 sole sets one for alpine one touring, other brands do similar
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
KenA, sorry - could have phrased that better. all alpine boots will work in both. if you want touring boots to work in alpine bindings, you should look for ones with interchangeable soles. dynafit, scarpa, garmont, black diamond all have models which do this
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
KenA wrote:
Morning. I was wondering what boots are on the market which would be suitable for both touring (Fritichi) and standard downhill bindings. I appreciate that a boot that will fit both will be something of a compromise, but for the amount of skiing I actually do, I'd rather have one boot to do everything. How would the Scarpa Tornados perform, the soles look very smooth? (A friend has a pair for sale)

Thanks Smile

As others have said Fritchi bindings will take a downhill DIN sole and a touring sole, downhill bindings will only take a DIN sole... so go for a downhill boot or one of the touring boots which can have a DIN compatible toe and heel piece. But... there is talk of Salomon (and probably others) getting touring soles certified for use in DIN (downhill bindings). e.g. see the comment here: http://www.lockwoods.com/ski-boots/ski-boots/mens-ski-touring-boots/salomon-quest-tour-sole-pads/prod_3062.html. I suspect that most boots that will have this sort of sole will also have the downhill option too, so you could still switch to a "proper" DIN sole if you weren't comfortable with this set up.

I'm certainly going to try and demo the Salomons this season, but I only plan on using my touring skis in future so I don't really need DIN compatibility, but it would be nice to have in case I borrowed or rented some regular alpine skis.

As for boot ideas, the Salomon Quest range is aimed right at your needs, as are the Black Diamond Factors. Garmont have been doing this kind of boot for a while now and there's an Atomic boot out too that is a stiff tourer/alpine corssover but I don't recal the name and I'm not 100% sure you can switch to DIN soles. Not sure about the Tornado, I suspect this is a stiff touring boot but not sure if it will have the option to worn in DIN bindings?
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

But... there is talk of Salomon (and probably others) getting touring soles certified for use in DIN (downhill bindings

Yeah... there might have been until Salomon's inserts were proved unsafe for use when they failed majorly on a steep slope causing someone to completely wreck there legs... Oh and as far as I'm aware Salomon still haven't helped him with money for treatment etc (dude's American).
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
clarky999 wrote:
Quote:

But... there is talk of Salomon (and probably others) getting touring soles certified for use in DIN (downhill bindings

Yeah... there might have been until Salomon's inserts were proved unsafe for use when they failed majorly on a steep slope causing someone to completely wreck there legs... Oh and as far as I'm aware Salomon still haven't helped him with money for treatment etc (dude's American).

You are referring to the tech insert failure. Salomons are no longer recommended for tech (aka Dynafit) bindings because of this failure and all the tech compatible boots and pads were recalled. The link I posted was for 2011 sole replacements which don't [or at least should not!] have the tech inserts and are NOT for tech bingdings but they DO claim to be DIN compatible.

I have no idea if Salomon have helped the guy (Dalton) out, as far as I can tell the case is subject to ongoing litigation and neither Dalton nor Salomon are commenting on the specific case so we are unlikely to find out if they are paying or not. And yes, he suffered terrible injuries, really quite shocking. The original thread is here: http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php?t=191256

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Fri 10-12-10 13:52; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Aah, you mean theres chat about getting a non-tech (so vibram) touring sole DIN-rated?
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
clarky999 wrote:
Aah, you mean theres chat about getting a non-tech (so vibram) touring sole DIN-rated?

Yes, but it's not quite a vibram either... it's Salomon's own version of vibram which they call Contragrip but with a antifriction plate in the middle of the toe piece so it's a bit of a half-way house. I was initially told about it in St Anton (Sport Jennwein) last March when I was looking at some of the demo models (which had the now infamous tech inserts...), he was raving about the Pebax model in particular, but he advised me not to buy then and there because the soles might change, and from the item on the Lockwoods site it seems this is the final design. For now at least.

I very much doubt Salomon will be putting tech fittings back in their boots anytime soon...
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy