Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Touring Backpack

Poster: A snowHead
I'd be interested in suggestions for a touring backpack.

Anyone use the Mammut Nirvana pro or ride?

Or the Arkteryx Silo

or any others

Must have easy access to avalanche gear, carry ski's on the side or diagonal

Thanks
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
bit of kiit ive brought and very impressed with is the dakine heli dlx pro.

V impressed!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
My Black Diamond Covert pack is one of my favourite pieces of kit. Easily carries skis, built in Avalung, exceptional build quality - very heavy and almost everyday use for 3 years and NO wear and tear at all. For overnight trips you may need more than it's 32 litres, but it's perfect for day trips.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Deuter Guides. I like them and you can use them for other stuff as well. When I was looking I found specific ski touring sacks too heavy and over featured but I'm a light weight / simple sort of person.

I have an Osprey Mutant but it is more of a climbing pack.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I have a slightly older Mammut Freeride 18 bag and it's really superb - just a bit small. Based on that, I'm currently considering the Nirvana Pro as my next pack. Hope that's useful!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
clarky999 wrote:
My Black Diamond Covert pack is one of my favourite pieces of kit. Easily carries skis, built in Avalung, exceptional build quality - very heavy and almost everyday use for 3 years and NO wear and tear at all. For overnight trips you may need more than it's 32 litres, but it's perfect for day trips.

+1
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I was going to recommend the Marmot La Meije but it is no longer on their website, which suggests that they've discontinued it. This is a shame as it is near perfect.

BD covert is good.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
All of this is fairly pointless without knowing what sort of touring Vidmaster has in mind. What's the plan? Day tours? Alpine hut-to-hut? Glaciated? Scandi camping trips?
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
gorilla wrote:
I was going to recommend the Marmot La Meije but it is no longer on their website, which suggests that they've discontinued it. This is a shame as it is near perfect.

me too! best bag out there unless you are looking for avalung or airbag functions - looks like it has been replaced by the BC which should be pretty good if 30l is big enough. IMV that should be fine for daytours and maybe one night trips but a bit small for week-long hut-to-hut outings esp if you need mountaineering gear
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
They both look like great packs and they are solid brands. You could also look at Osprey bags, and Da Kine, and Black Diamond and many more... all good as far as I can tell:)

My personal view, having used various brands and sizes over the years, would be to ignore ski carrying "systems", I find side compression straps combined with a loop or 2 of cord and a couple of karabiners are way more useful and flexible. I don't like too many loops and trinkets that can catch on things so sacks that have the option to hide away the loops appeal to me (e.g. the Da Kine Helipro has this, as do others). My particular pet hate is ice axe loops - 99% of sacks have them, and it's the dumbest way to carry an ice axe (with the pointy bits pointing up!), I much prefer to use side compression straps to carry an axe if I need to. I may be a bit biased here having lost an axe carried using the axe loops. Anyway, ranting aside I would try a few packs for size and comfort and not worry too much about the brand or the trinkets. The only essential feature is that you can carry it all day, and having easy access to a shovel and probe is also a very good idea. I also prefer the type that close with a lid rather than those that close with a zip, they tend to be a bit more forgiving if you overfill them and are bit more weather proof.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Personally, I've got an old BD Revelation. 35L so ideal, not too big to ski with but plenty big enough for 5 days hut to hut. Nice big zip on the front so you can get to your shovel, probe and skins quickly and easily.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
The deuter guide 35+ is pretty good. Expands to 43 litres.
Has a proper back system very similar to Berghaus's excellent cyclops II internal A frame.
Highly stable skiing, carrying skis & climbing. Excellent compression strap/ski holder system. Gear loops & attachments for skiing + climbing gear.

At the end of day though, its what fits your back best.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I like the look of the Deuter Guides... do they have a pocket for a shovel? There's nothing external as far as I can see. It's not the end of the world but it would be a "nice to have".
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
sah, No specific shovel holder. It does have a well-flapped full length zip down one side.
Its fast to get into via the zip or the top with gloves on.
I've got one big snow shovel, and fits it inside with climbing and skiing gear without issue.
ps
Uber geeky, but here are some pics (its a 2008 model, I have a 2009 model as well (in the UK, cost £35), I rate them that much)
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Actually those are very useful pics, thanks! Not sure if it helps the OP but I am now getting seriously tempted. The buckle on the shoulder strap ofmy 18 year old Pod Cragsac snapped this year, and the sack has really had it after many faithful years of service so I'm looking for something around the 40l size to replace it...

I'm assuming those pics are with the bag not fully loaded, it looks like you could get a bit more stuff in there if you needed to?

How do you like the BD skis? I've got a pair of Verdicts and they absolutley rule.

BTW, are you sure it was £35, the prices on the web seem to be £70 and up.
snow report
sah, I got a Pod Cragsac too. Love it too bits. Not as cumfy as the Deuter though.

Yep, got one from a GO outdoors sale - £35. The older one in the pic cost about 95CHF in 2008. The pack in the pics is loaded up for just a day trip (loads of safety kit though). Loads of spare room, the extended top (same design extending top as the cragsac).

Those skis as my DB Mira's. Love 'em to bits. Thinking about getting some DB Zealots or Justice next.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy