Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Is everyone's buying x-country skis

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Is it just a north of Scotland thing - or are people swooping on cross country skis everywhere? I keep meeting people on skinnies - has anyone else noticed this trend?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Sofia ... swooping ? Respect to anybody that can do the steeper lines on an inch wide Toofy Grin

I didn't see any X-country skiers in the Pentlands on Sunday & apart from our group of 5 there were at least another 3 similar sized groups and many singles we bumped into, all using AT & skins or telemarking.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

Respect to anybody that can do the steeper lines on an inch wide

Hear hear. I found them very challenging on a gentle incline.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I'm swooping, mine are on the way - 360 on toe press tele kinked rail 540 to switch off, all on 207 longs 48 wides Cool Cool stylin XC baby
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Should make myself clear. Using generic term X country for anyone who suddenly seems to be skiing in local park/on way to school/ on way to Tescos on skis with no heel attachment.
Swooping, as in people suddenly pouncing on telemark skis that have been sitting quietly on Gumtree for three months.
Actually - the snows gone at ground level now!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I've got mine. What I haven't got is any snow. Just need it to last in Yorkshire for another week...
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I couldn't believe that I didn't see a single person on skiis in my local pack in Glasgow over the last couple of weeks; the place is practically perfect! If I had my own skiis I'd have been out there like a flash!!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

Swooping, as in people suddenly pouncing on telemark skis that have been sitting quietly on Gumtree for three months

Ah yes! That's the easiest kind of swooping to do on XC skis.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
No problems swooping on skinnies, especially if there is a nice set of cut tracks to swoop in. Saying that I actually managed to link a few tele turns on track skis on Thursday night, which is good for me as I'm ussualy crap at doing teles on track skis.

I'm also tempted to get a couple more pairs of skinny skis - take my quiver up to 5. At the moment I've a pair of waxing classics and a pair of skate skis reserved for racing or good snow conditions and a pair of very knakered waxless skis I use for everything else. I might pick up a pair of 2nd hand (and very cheap) skate skis that I'd be willing to use on the roads around here when there's jsut a thin layer of snow left by the plough. I'd also like a pair of metal edged ~track ski width waxless skis for use whne the forest tracks get a bit icy.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Cross country skis, no. But most of the people I ski with now have touring bindings. Only a few of them do proper touring - most just want to get to slopes a bit of a walk from the places that the lifts take them.

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Sat 11-12-10 18:15; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

No problems swooping on skinnies, especially if there is a nice set of cut tracks to swoop in.

ah yes! I can do that provided somebody who knows has assured me that the gradient doesn't get too steep just round the corner. wink It's the stopping - or slowing down - I'm not good at. provided I'm going slow enough that doing a "half plough" with one ski still in the track will slow me down, I'm fine. But faster than that.... Shocked
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

ah yes! I can do that provided somebody who knows has assured me that the gradient doesn't get too steep just round the corner.

Then the cut tracks often disappear and you down to a full snowplough. Not aproblem if it niceley pisted and reasonably soft, a bit more of a problem when hard and icy or badly cut up. One reason I'm tempted to get some metal edged skinnies is to give improved control on scottish tracks where the pisting is less regular and conditions more variable.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
On way up to Cairngorms yesterday, clocked 3 x telemarks making their way up hill along the slush on the verges. The snow was kindof gritted and brown but the skiers looked very pink and happy!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy