Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ok. Which are the best carving skis right now?

Poster: A snowHead
I want to start a fight, so I thought I'd ask what are the best carvers in the world right now? If I was to refine the question, I really mean - commonly bought, medium budget skis (not to cheap, not too hand-made).
I tend to think anything by Atomic is great and have been told that Rossignol is surprisingly rubbish, considering their reputation.
So - which boards have turned everyone on recently?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Stokli are by miles the best I've been on. Laser SC or SL.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Stockli Laser Sc are the detuned ones...
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Volkl Tigershark 11s..... Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
There are very few skis which aren't narrower at the waist than they are at tip and tail, so the term "carving ski" doesn't really have much meaning these days. Do you want to carve short-radius turns, long-radius turns, purely on-piste or mix it up with off-piste as well?
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Sofia, If your smiling, it's whatever ones your wearing Very Happy
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Red ones.....I mean Blue ones.....errrmmm, Yellow ones?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Sofia wrote:
I want to start a fight, so I thought I'd ask what are the best carvers in the world right now? If I was to refine the question, I really mean - commonly bought, medium budget skis (not to cheap, not too hand-made).
I tend to think anything by Atomic is great and have been told that Rossignol is surprisingly rubbish, considering their reputation.
So - which boards have turned everyone on recently?

I tend to agree with you about Atomics, the ones I skied last season for a week (Nomad Renu) were fantastic, good for carving and superb in crud (didn't find any powder that week, but they'd have been fine there too). I own a pair of Rossi Scratch BCs and they are also great (esp off piste) and solidly build, so I'd start a fight with you on that point;-)
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
salomon Force 9 190cm. everytime!!! Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Laughing
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
cockofthenorth wrote:
salomon Force 9 190cm. everytime!!! Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Laughing

Now your talking!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
rob@rar wrote:
There are very few skis which aren't narrower at the waist than they are at tip and tail, so the term "carving ski" doesn't really have much meaning these days. Do you want to carve short-radius turns, long-radius turns, purely on-piste or mix it up with off-piste as well?

Good point. I'm sure Sondra Norheim would have considered his the best around... wink
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
rob@rar wrote:

Exactly....

depends on what radii you want to carve....

Got my eyes on a pair of Atomic D2 GS's if the wifee can be pursuaded that I need even more pairs of skis.... And sails; and boats and toys in general.... Laughing
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Who cares? Carving is so 90s, nowadays its all about the skurf wink
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Right now, ones with headlights on them.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Rax obviously... they even have metal fins!!
latest report
My 155 cm Rossignal 9S Oversize slalom skis with a 11m radius turn length. I ski anything and everything with them. You just have to be VERY careful if in a long tuck.
ski holidays
THANKS!! Heh - that's nearly every company ticked then! I have some Rossi RPMs that are about to become my rock-hopping skis - they were great to start me off. But now I am looking for something faster (but still beginner/intermediate) - and possibly shorter (I am 5'8 and want to go from 160 to 150ish). I am probably wanting to swoosh more and have more fun but not compromise my safety (because at heart I am a wuss!) Obvs I want something a little sexy so that snowboarders don't look down their noses at my unattractive skis. I WILL be on piste for a while (now I have prescription goggles - I did used to sometimes ski inadvertently OFF piste) and I will do mid to large radius turns for a while (just to annoy snowboarders)
I don't really know but aren't Stokli at the pricier end of the market? I'll go check them out. Volkl have an awesome reputation but tend towards more ££. Salomon, Rossi and Atomic all seem more within my range. Am also looking at twin tip all mountain type stuff - there's alot of them around (do they make you ski backwards?).
ski holidays
Why would you want shorter skis?! Especially if you want to go faster?
ski holidays
Ok, I mean I want to make myself think I'm going faster. I feel that shorter skis will make more swooshing possible. Am I wrong?
latest report
Sofia wrote:
make more swooshing possible

What do you define "swooshing" as?
snow report
Sofia, doesn't matter. However well you can carve your current ski, you never forget your first. wink
ski holidays
rob@rar wrote:
Sofia wrote:
make more swooshing possible

What do you define "swooshing" as?

It's the sound skiers make just as they lose control:

"woooooahhh.....shiiiii........"

Toofy Grin
ski holidays
My hope with a shorter ski to make more linked up turns per slope, dare to do more maneuvers. I want something that will give me more confidence. I am now looking at - Atomic series 9, Rossignol Attraxion iii and harmony and a Volkl Aura. I've also put an ebay bid on a Rossignol Radical pair which were stupidly cheap and now it looks like I'm going to win them....

Swooosh is the vision of me in my head going from side to side and not needing to stop at side of slope to calm down every 5 mins.

By the way, thank you for commenting - you're all +++++
ski holidays
Sofia, stockli are more expensive yes - you'll know what you're paying for when you ski them Madeye-Smiley
latest report
Sofia, Perhaps you should go to each of the ski manufactures sites and search for " swooshing" to narrow your choice down Cool

Just try some from a hire shop, but tell them that you want to buy and they will usually waive the hire charge.
Choose the ones that give you the widest grin!!
snow report
Sophia, Your in Scotland. Go to Xscape with a credit card, leave it at the ellis brigham desk and they will let you demo their skis at Snozone.

I have Rossi Zenith 10 oversize. I love them.

Cheers
Bob
latest report
OOoo, I like your ideas. Xscape is a good place to start. I went up Cairngorm yesterday and jumped back on my old Rossi RPMs - they're great - do everything I want (including coming off just when my leg got tangled in the Tbar (don't ask) Want to make sure the next pair are as fun and friendly.

Am going to google 'swooshing' and skis now
ski holidays
I bought some ladies Volkl AX.2s - slightly longer - at 163. They seem ok.......?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I'm a bit biased but I reckon Salomon 3v Labs are pretty cool - as a friend of mine said "these skis want to carve" - a bit pricey if you go to Snow + Rock or similar but try and get ex-demo ones with little or no damage and you should do ok.They are "punter labs" rather than the full factory race dept ones but hell I look the part, now all I have to do is justify my right to own a pair.
ski holidays
OK - will check the Salomon out too - THANKS. I've bought Volkl AX.2s for a snip on ebay. Wide turning and hardish. I'm also going to try and buy some Volkl 5 stars - which are much tighter in radius. I'm basically buying a bunch and the winner stays, the ones I don't like will go back on ebay. My RPMs were great fun but wide turning - I just need to try a pile out on the hill (imagines trugging 5 pairs of skis on funicular)
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy