Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

how do you know if your boots are too stiff?

Poster: A snowHead
OK OK, seems like a stupid question, but without hindsight of varied boot experience and a pretty high level of skiing competence, honest it is a vaguely sensible question. What are the clues that tell you your boots are too stiff for you?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
You can't bend them when you are trying to flex your ankles?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
When they are Blue and made by Pfizer Laughing Laughing Laughing sorry could not resist it wink
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
when you cant get them on Shocked
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
bitoffluff, I do a test, which is standing upright, flex my ankles, look down, do my knees obscure the front of my boots, if they don't I can't flex them enough.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Spyderman, aaaaaah, but is that when the boot is warm or cold?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
question is...HOW MUCH or LITTLE flexion at the ankle do you need to ski properly?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Spyderman wrote:
bitoffluff, I do a test, which is standing upright, flex my ankles, look down, do my knees obscure the front of my boots, if they don't I can't flex them enough.

When I look down I can't even see my feet Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Mosha Marc wrote:
Spyderman, aaaaaah, but is that when the boot is warm or cold?

And stationary or maximum pressure in a GS turn?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
hmm, not really much further forward, im confused, help!
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
bitoffluff, what makes you think your boots might be too stiff for you? What can't you do in them?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Sitting back is one.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
rob@rar wrote:
bitoffluff, what makes you think your boots might be too stiff for you? What can't you do in them?

thats kinda the point if i knew what was the things to look out for then i would be able to say what makes me think they are too stiff. Looking at it another way how would you with your loads of experience ski a pair of boots and think hmmm, they might be a bit stiff??
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
bitoffluff wrote:
Looking at it another way how would you with your loads of experience ski a pair of boots and think hmmm, they might be a bit stiff??

If I couldn't flex them smoothly when skiing at a moderate pace I'd be worried they were too stiff (or the wrong boot, perhaps with the ankle pivot in the wrong place for my ankle bone).
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

Sitting back is one

Yes - I suppose that when you bend you knees, if your boots are very still your backside will drop behind your feet. It's not possible to flex well at the knees, and keep your backside over the feet, without flexing at the ankles too, is it?
ski holidays
I'd be more worried about potential lack of stiffness elsewhere, if I wasn't me... Happy
ski holidays
bitoffluff, if I couldn't dorsiflex my ankles fully in them in a warm room despite trying hard
snow conditions
are they to stiff or are they actually too big and because they are not a good fit you cant flex them?

In a boot that is too big your shin will only push the top of the cuff rather than a good progresive contact all the way down the shin this will make the boot feel way stiffer and less flexible than it really is.

also a boot that is too big is likely to have the the cuff clipped way tighter than on a better fitting boot so again it not the flex but the fit that is the problem.

Im sure a more sober poster will be along shortly to give you some alcohol free advice Toofy Grin
snow conditions
I don't believe it's possible for a commercial boot to be too stiff, i've seen beginners bend 130kn boots in half. Ankle flex is the key.
snow conditions
SMALLZOOKEEPER wrote:
I don't believe it's possible for a commercial boot to be too stiff

I tend to agree. If skiers can't flex their boots I'd guess either a lack of movement in the ankle joint or, perhaps more commonly, a lack of technique so their timing is off and they can't work with the pressures that they should be feeling when turning.
snow report
SMALLZOOKEEPER wrote:
I don't believe it's possible for a commercial boot to be too stiff, i've seen beginners bend 130kn boots in half. Ankle flex is the key.

doesnt that kinda also depend on the weight of the beginner, also then are you sayiong its rubbish the instructors (and reputable ski schools) that go round saying a lot of people are held back by have too stiff boots?

They are now the right size cos i part exchange last ones for ones that actually fit this time now i know better. They are a step up in stiffness which i didnt want, but had to go for to get a low volume boot that fitted.

About flexing smoothly while skiing, its kinda hard unless you are really good to concentrate on pulling apart the elements of your turn and having nothing to compare against.
snow report
bitoffluff wrote:
About flexing smoothly while skiing, its kinda hard unless you are really good to concentrate on pulling apart the elements of your turn and having nothing to compare against.
Can you flex your ankles when you are standing still on your skis?
snow report
As mentioned above, I think a lot of it is fit-related - if there's loose-ness between the front of the ankle / lower shin area and the boot, the skier will be able to flex their ankle but it won't have the desired effect on the relationship between boot and ski
snow report
Quote:

doesnt that kinda also depend on the weight of the beginner, also then are you sayiong its rubbish the instructors (and reputable ski schools) that go round saying a lot of people are held back by have too stiff boots?

Nah, i'm saying that if the said instructor hasn't checked the dorsiflexion of his clients, then they are likey to belive that is the case. In most cases, it's the available flex in the skiers ankle, not the stiffness of the boots, and yes weight, hight, strength and speed are all issues.
latest report
When you do find a flex that you are happy with, after consulting with your boot fitter be aware that they will become considerably more stiff on the mountain. Some boots when very cold go quite solid.

I had a pair of boots about six years ago that were impossible to get on if cold. I had to stick them on a heater for a while then wrestle with them. It must have looked pretty funny especially in a snow filled car park. Not so funny for me though! great boots despite this draw back.
snow report
Poly ether will become 5 times stiffer between +15 and -15 degrees, this type of plqstic is the leqst effected by temperature, so say no to polyester and poly propelyne, say no i say. Toofy Grin
latest report
rob@rar wrote:
bitoffluff wrote:
Can you flex your ankles when you are standing still on your skis?

just stuck them in the freezer (big thaw up north rolling eyes ) and will try when they are proper cold, back later!
snow report
SMALLZOOKEEPER wrote:
Poly ether will become 5 times stiffer between +15 and -15 degrees, this type of plqstic is the leqst effected by temperature, so say no to polyester and poly propelyne, say no i say. Toofy Grin

hmm that could explain something, i cant get the proper name of the shall material, except lower shell uis PU (?) and the upper shell is PP (?)
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
polypropylene & polyurethene im guessing
ski holidays
tiffin, Yup.
ski holidays
I like it, sticking them in the freezer!
I guess that you may have a bit to eat this coming week... That is dedication and I guess that you are probably single
ski holidays
Downhill Sailor wrote:
I like it, sticking them in the freezer!
I guess that you may have a bit to eat this coming week... That is dedication and I guess that you are probably single
Laughing
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy