Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Inverness airport to Aviemore or anywhere else?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

I was looking at going away to mainland Europe for a few nights before xmas for some skiing, but I am not having a lot of luck with timings around work/flights etc and ski buddies. Flights are available from Bristol to Inverness for Weds/Sun next week and I am now thinkiing about a trip to Scotland instead.

I am working on the assumption that snow conditions will still be ok, but I don't know about local travel infrastructure and how easy it would be to get to and from the airport using local transport. Is Inverness airport even open?

Can anyone give any insight on the viability of such a trip?

Thanks in advance,

Nick
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Shouldn't be a particular problem to be honest, there are buses and taxis into Inverness then you can get a train up to Aviemore. Will you be on your own or with a group? If the latter then it's probably worth considering taking a taxi to Inverness rather than busing it, if on your own a bus would obviously be cheaper.

Snow should be fine, there's tons of it at the moment and temps will be back down low next week after a briief milder blip Friday/Saturday.

Have you booked accomodation yet?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Last time I did it I hired a small car. Might be worth adding up the cost of taxi, train then busses up the mountain.
But there were two of us which make a difference.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I'm on my own at the minute, so it will be probably most economical to use public transport rather than car hire. I am twisting my friends arm to join me, so a car may be best if he decides to come.

No accomodation has been booked yet; I'm a bit of a last minute merchant, and accomodation will typically be the last of the pieces to slot into place!!

Thanks for the advice!!

Nick
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I went by train last year to stay in Aviemore for a week which included New year. There was no problems with the train service, Perth to inverness, it was one of the few lines without major problems. The problems I had was getting to the mountain, most days the bus did not operate. This was mainly down to cars stuck on the road on the way to Cairngorm. I was left to hitch as it was the only way up. I think conditions are very similar this year.

One of the things that amazed me is that the chairlift company had their section of the road in perfect condition but the council road was a disaster. The chairlift company had offered to clear the road all the way to Aveimore but were not allowed. I heard on the news that this is happening all over the UK. Farmers offering to help clear roads only to be refused. Local government is run by complete idiots!!!

If you find shared accommodation then hopefully someone there will have space in their car, otherwise don't bother waiting for the bus just hitch.
Have a great time
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Downhill Sailor wrote:
Local government is run by complete idiots!!!

LOL, never a truer word Laughing

There were some occasions later in the season when snow was forecast, not sure if they were officially sanctioned by the council or not, when the Cairngorm plough driver drove the plough home, parked it overnight near his house then just happened to plough the council owned road on his way in to work early in the morning - class! Cool Hopefully they might start doing that again, especially now they've got hold of a new plough.

Accomodation wise there's loads to chose from, cheap and cheerful at the youth hostels right up to all singing all dancing hotels like the Hilton. Check it all out online but there's so much there are usually bargains to be had. However it may be very busy, I know bookings are way up and as an example closer to home the number of enquiries on here about scottish skiing seem to have rocketed even since last season - it's gonna be the place to be seen Toofy Grin

BTW, I'm a last minute merchant too - good on ya Very Happy
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Things are progressing slowly..........it looks like I may be heading up on my own on Wednesday afternoon/evening from Bristol and will be aiming to stay in Aviemore at the Youth Hostel for 4 nights.

Can anyone let me know what I may be letting myself in for accomodation wise?? It is certainly cheap enough but is it well located for the centre of Aviemore and also for the bus to Cairngorm?

Nick
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
IIRC :

as you enter aviemore from the south there's a roundabout where you can go straight on (into aviemore) or right (through rothiemurchus and up to the ski area). To your left is the italian place (the high range motel I think?. The "town centre" is 2 minutes walk from there and you pass the YHA as you walk.

There is another YHA some 3 mile further down the ski road.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hi, I stayed at the youth hostel last weekend, and I really liked the place, most of the hostellers were either skiers or boarders so we all got on well together. The place was clean, the showers hot and had a really good drying room.
The hostel is about 5 minutes walk along the main road from the train station and the village centre. Buses were running last w/e from Aviemore to the ski carpark.
I would check with the hostel about a place as if the skiing is good it will soon get booked up.
A tip, take cash to buy your lift ticket as you can get this from a different window with a much smaller queue, also in the morning if there is a massive queue for the train to the top of the mountain, you can take two poma tows to the top of the mountain Very Happy
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
n1ckster, as has been said above the Aviemore youth hostel is very comfortable indeed, don't think you'll have any probs there and it's good for all the ameneties too Very Happy
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Correct me if im wrong but I beleive you can buy lift passes from the ski hire shop below the Skiing Doo restaraunt the night before ,saves a lot of time waiting once you get up the hill.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I think that's still the case but probs worth checking up on that, there used to be another outlet by the station too but I forget where to be honest and not sure if it was available last season.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Right....flights will be booked tonight to Inverness, 3 nights at the Aviemore Youth Hostel, 2 days skiing at Cairngorm and then home by train on Saturday!!

The next problem is where has all the cold weather and snow gone???!!!??? Will it be back by the end of next week?

Nick
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
What are conditions like at the moment?? Have I put the kybosh on the decent snow by booking my trip 'early'??!!??

Nick
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
n1ckster, have been in aviemore this weekend - soft but very nice snow yesterday and boilerplate today (with a wee bit of fresh on top) but with lots of snow forecast later this week and very cold temps we're looking at some awesome conditions coming up I think and that base is well set up now snowHead
latest report
Is there much off piste skiing round Aviemore (but still using the lifts) for people who don't know the area?
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy