Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What are the basics I need? (clothing)

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hello Very Happy

Hope you aren't too sick of the stupid questions yet as I'm very greatful for all the help I'm getting on here.

So, my next question! My first skiing holiday is booked and isn't that far away so I need to start thinking about what I need to buy for it.

As I'm only a beginner and it's my first holiday I don't plan on kitting myself out in all designer gear and buying all the latest skiing gadgets.

Not really asking for advice on makes or specific items of clothing (although it would be appreciated) , just what I'll be needing for a week of skiing as at present I have nothing as I have only been skiing on dry slopes!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Feel free to ignore, just realized I'm very stupid and completly missed the sticky at the top of this sub forum - newbies guide to clothing Embarassed Sad
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Millie10, not stupid at all - you spotted the "sticky" which lots don't. And you'd be surprised how many beginners DO kit themselves out with all fancy new stuff. I once saw a guy - old enough to know better - on a very muddy, grotty, dry ski slope that didn't even have a lift. He had the complete lycra racing outfit and shiny new racing skis. And he couldn't ski for toffee, absolutely hopeless. the local kids, all zipping round in their jeans and tatty anoraks, had a right larf.

And don't forget, ski resorts have lots of shops, so if you do find weather is much colder than you thought, for example, you'll be able to buy a few bits locally.

T K Maxx is your friend. wink
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Millie10, As pam w, says - TK Maxx! I have been there this morning and they have lots of gear in our local branch. Everything from decent base layers, through socks, gloves, fleeces (bought myself a very nice, very thin fleece as a present from my sons), as well as a good variety of salopettes and jackets of decent quality. They also had goggles, hats, scarves etc.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
You can get good-enough salopettes/coats cheaply form TKMaxx/Millets etc. Thermals wise, just layer up on the tshirts and fleeces you already have, maybe get a pair or two of thermal leggings/trousers though. Anti-fog goggles and ski socks - again TKMaxx. Get a buff, can be very useful. Invest in good quality gloves, freezing hands = miserable.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
The basics you will need is a hat, goggles, gloves, jacket, trouser and ski socks. Its not really worth spending money on fancy skiing layers to go underneath in my opinion, you probably already have suitable gear somewhere in your wardrobe - just a take a few long sleeve tops/t-shirts and a couple of warm jumpers (thin fleecy ones are better than big heavy ones as you can move easier). A thin scarf or bandana is worth having around your neck so you can pull it up over your face on cold lifts.

Most of the gear can be bought fairly cheaply, or even borrowed. As above TK max is good or ebay is great for cheap used gear which would be my recomendation as you'll get much better stuff for your money, alot of which has hardly ever been worn. In my opinion by far the most important item is a decent jacket and it may be worth spending a little more on this as it keeps all your most important organs warm, and if they are warm your hands, feet and legs will stay warmer too! I only wear thin park gloves but never get cold hands as I have a good jacket and warm hat. Unless your overheating always keep your jacket done right up around the neck as you will loose a hell of a lot of heat if you have it open round the neck.

It is also worth investing a little in decent goggles or borrowing some as alot of cheap goggles are really bad and fog up awfully which isn't going to improve you skiing! A little tip with goggles is to always keep them on your face, or take them off completely. Lots of people pull them up onto their head which isn't a good move, putting them on your nice warm and damp hat will cause them to fog up and then when you pull them down again you won't be able to see wink

In my experience nearly every new skier makes the mistake of wearing far to many layers and overheating/sweating their a*ses off! You see so many people on the nursery slopes with all their gear undone looking hot and sweaty. Remember that you will be doing physical exercies (even more so as a beginner) and you will produce a fair bit of heat.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I'd endorse TK Maxx or you could even venture in to Primark. Bought Jacket and trousers for my daughter before her first ski trip from Primark. Admittedly the trouser fastener broke 2nd day so I forked out for another pair of trousers in resort but I think the complete set was less than £30 from Primani.

As an alternative try to borrow the big ticket stuff (jacket & trousers). If you know people who ski regularly they usually have some spare gear in a bag in the loft and may lend you some or know someone who will.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy