Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Schladming, 4th Jan - Should I go?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi Snowheads,

Once again I have been tasked with organising this year's jaunt to the snow. The usual destination is Soll, however, I am ging with some different people and Soll has limited skiing for the relative beginners that I am going with, so I started looking elsewhere.

I have found a 4 night break to Schladming leaving on 4th Jan. There will be me (intermediate) and 3 relative beginners (1 or 2 weeks under their belt). We are 4 blokes in our 30's and the things that I would like to know are:

1. Is the nightlife any good? if so where should we go?
2. What are the beer prices like? - Soll was pretty reasonable
3. The Hotel Rossl - apparently 5 minutes walk to the Planai gondola? Is this a good location?

I have looked on the net and it all looks great but I just wanted to be doubley sure before I booked.

Thanks in advance for your help on this, I look forward to the replies.

Dave
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
1) very.. great high street.. and 2 'gentlemens' clubs
2)about €3 - €3.80
3)Great

Goo darea for early intermediates. Not so great for absolute learners (although the mountain nextdoor, Hochwurzen, is fantastic!)
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
flangesax, That's great. Thanks.

One of the guys who is coming has skiied before but is a bit nervous, if we wanted to get over to Hockwurzen, is there a bus or could he do it via lift?

Thanks again
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Wardster00, Yes, by bus or download from Planai using the Golden Jet gondola.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Schladming is so much better than Soll, it has better nightlife better ski area and is more snowsure. Prices are also cheaper for drinking as the town is not just there for tourists. Beginner area not quite so good as other poster said hockwurzen is excellent. You find though midweek slopes are pretty quiet.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Wardster00, yes.......go. Schladming is a 'most excellent' resort. I've been 3 or 4 times and always had a great holiday.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Timberwolf, Richiavo, Nice to hear all of this as I am there at the end of January Very Happy
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
flangesax, how are conditions in Schladming right now? Are the ocnditions typical of this time of year or is it a good season.
Wardster00, apologies for hi-jacking your thread ...
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Tom W, are you planning to go to the 'Nightrace' ?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Spooky.....just had a Snowmail alert for Schladming from Snow-forecast.com
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
We have stayed at the Rossl twice over the Christmas week, but not for about 5 years now. Good central location - about 5 minutes level walk to the Planai gondola, but there used to be overnight lockers at the gondola staion which saved carrying the skis. Have at least one lunch at Onkel Willi's - an experience not to be missed!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Timberwolf, nope, I think I will miss this by a few days. I think we arriving there on 28th. Sad
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Well... we are expecting a big dump withing a couple of days and TBO although everything is skiable and fine... us locals would appreciate it!
I haven't actually been out to Schladming yet this season. Piste conditions in Ski Amadé are in good shape and will hold up well with cold temps.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Wardster00, just to echo comments above Schladming is a great place but not so great for 1 - 2 week skiers I'd think. Hochwurzen may well be better but if on Planai (the Schladming resort moutain) I'd make sure they don't try skiing back to resort as the bottom can be very icy and would be scary for an early skier.

Beer and food prices were really good here, much cheaper than most big resorts by a long way.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thanks everyone for the replies. I will be booking it on Friday, once I get paid.

Glad to hear that there are lockers at the gondola station.

Any recommendation on where to go for a few apres beers woudl be appreciated and any other tips that anyone feels like adding will also be helpful.

Thanks everyone!
latest report
Anyone know if the Ski Amade pass is valid for night skiing on the Schladming slopes or do you have to buy a seperate one on the night.
snow conditions
briand6868, I found the 'Night Slalom' piste (short black) scary enough in the late afternoon, didn't even try it at night Shocked Madeye-Smiley Madeye-Smiley
latest report
We did that piste at3.30 on a warm mid march afternoon. We were all knackered at the top...... the beer at the bottom (bar through the car park and over the road) was the bast I have ever had.... and cheap, good old Schladminger.
snow conditions
briand6868, it's extra I believe, about €20 or thereabouts
latest report
briand6868, you do have to buy a separate pass, and Nightskiing is on the Hochwurzen hill I believe....
ski holidays
Quote:

One of the guys who is coming is a bit nervous
Is that because of the
Quote:

2 'gentlemens' clubs
Shocked Toofy Grin
latest report
Make that 3 'gentlemens' clubs when the night race is in town Little Angel
snow conditions
Snow here is very good! Just had dump of snow today and still snowing. Serious Powder tomorrow. Very quiet at the moment though, early season. Hopefully should be busy at the weekend.
snow conditions
nice weather Wink
ski holidays
Quote:

Hopefully should be busy at the weekend

Puzzled a day full of serious powder all to yourself sounds pretty good to me. Why share?
snow report
pam w, I know what you mean. But when you want a bit of lively Apres Ski then its not the best. You just have to way up whether you want empty slopes or top Apres. But still snowing here in Schlad. Hasn't stopped for the last 72 hours. Untouched powder today.
snow report
Wardster00 wrote:
...Soll has limited skiing for the relative beginners that I am going with...
Huh? I'd say Soll and the neighbouring resorts have everything a relative beginner could wish for.
snow report
Have you thought about Saalback?......What's the other snowHead think of as alternative,,,,,Good intermediate area & lively apres NehNeh .....Oh & I am informed....cough...that they too have "Gentlemans clubs"!!!! Embarassed

I'm off there on 15th Jan rolling eyes
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Sorry resort should read Saalbach.... Embarassed
latest report
Thanks for all of the replies, I have now booked Schladming for 4 nights half board for £230 with Crystal which I think is a bit of a bargain.

Bode Swiller, a couple of the guys are only really confident on blue runs and the ski-welt doesn't have any linked blue runs that would allow them to gain a bit more confidence.

I'm a little bit concerned that as we are going on 4th January the resort could be too quiet and lack some atmosphere. If anybody has any suggestions of where to go for a lively night out they would be welcome.
snow report
Quote:
Bode Swiller, a couple of the guys are only really confident on blue runs and the ski-welt doesn't have any linked blue runs that would allow them to gain a bit more confidence.

Wardster00, that is just so much rubbish - loads of linked blues, you just need to plan your routes a bit better in advance. Many of the reds are only mildly red and there are lots of cut-offs you can use to avoid more "hideous" bits. where there aren't any, the pistes are wide enough for the most nervous blue-run hero to be able to pick a route down.

Ski Welt is not the best signposted ski area, but alot of what you are saying is based on a lack of knowledge to be honest. It has excellent progression for beginners and intermediates as well as loads of off-piste for advanced. What is does lack is the same amount of challenging piste runs as it does intermediate cruising. Once you realise that the lifts and runs share numbers, it is relatively easy to move around at any level.

Maybe you should take a lesson or two in reading piste maps before you venture up one of the 4 mountain areas in Schladming so at least you know which one you are on Toofy Grin
snow report
Samerberg Sue, I know the ski-welt very well thanks and have never had an issue navigating round the area.

I was referring to Soll in particular not being great for beginners. One of the guys who is going to Schladming, came with me to Soll last year and he is nervous to say the least. Following his lessons he spent the afternoons going up to Salvenmoos and skiing back to the village using the narrow blue trail. He wouldn't even entertain going on the smallest portion of a red and this resulted in repeating the same route over and over.

On a separate trip, I skiied in Soll with my brother who was at a similar standard to the nervous skier, but as he had a lot more confidence, he found the skiing great because as you say the area has good progression from beginner to intermediates.
ski holidays
Wardster00, very good price!

I think you will be fine on the Aprés side of things...
The New yearers on a short break will be heading back home on the 3rd or 4th. The rest of the week is still very lively up until the 8th when the world and his wife go home. Which IMO is the best week to come out here!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy