Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Speccy wearers.... help required for a crimbo present!

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Trying to get me bro some ski sunglasses/ goggles for crimbo. He wont do contacts! where is the best place on line/ store to get either a prescription sports pair of shades or goggles?

Also, how much could i get them for?

ta in advance!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Mattmulkeen, My son has a very strong prescription in his glasses (he's a child BTW) and Specsavers did his prescription in sunglasses for skiing for around £40 - not sure if it would be more for adults dependent on the frame but worth asking them?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Try http://www.claimtheframe.com/.
It's an online business belonging to a friend of mine. All you do is choose the sunglasses or goggles, send in the prescription and they (free) mail you the finished product. Prices are very good. I've used it and it works. Not all the goggles are suitable for prescripion lens though.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Sorry just re read your post and realised he is a child. I don't know if that would work online. Still worth contacting claimtheframe though if you have difficulty, they have a 'real' shop as well.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
You could try getting him some glasses compatible goggles - i.e. that you can wear glasses underneath. I wear contacts when I ski, but bought goggles coincidentally that you can wear glasses with, I think they might be Smith ones. http://www.vision3k.com/otg-ski-goggles.asp
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Mattmulkeen, I have prescription inserts in my goggles - so they can be worn with any pair of goggles. They work very well. Just the distance vision - I have varifocals usually but it's not possible to do the whole prescription in decent wrap round style sunnies. A rather new girl in Specsavers did some for me, but they were hopeless - her supervisor told her she shouldn't have done it, and I got my money back.

I don't think you can buy OTG goggles without the person concerned - my OH tried on lots of supposedly OTG goggles before finding any which were comfy.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I also have prescription inserts in my ski goggles.

I found that wearing normal prescription glasses inside my goggles didn't work too well. The glasses misted up too much. I therefore bought an expensive pair of goggles that automatically changed tint between low-light and bright light, and then sent my prescription off to the insert supplier.

The combination works very well for me and I have used it now for two seasons. I'm now considering replacing the inserts with an up to date prescription and don't expect to pay more than about £30. I will still, of course, retain the original goggles.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Mr Marmot, I have a very similar set-up following a problem with an eye which meant I could not wear contacts for a while.

I rate it better than glasses + goggles but worse than contacts + goggles. (Compared to prescription sunglasses...well we all know you can't wear those with a helmet wink )

The main problem is that the goggle frame needs to be quite deep so the inserts are far enough from the face so they don't get misted up, but then my peripheral vision suffers as things move between corrected and non-corrected vision. I find it takes a while to get used to the effect.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Wow - cheers for all the replies. Just for clarity he is 40 and insists on wearing his glasses under goggles and moaning continually..... I see this as a win win christmas present!

snowHead

I'll have a good read through the suggestion...... might not mention the £30 part though Toofy Grin
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
dippdydoodogg wrote:
Try http://www.claimtheframe.com/.
It's an online business belonging to a friend of mine. All you do is choose the sunglasses or goggles, send in the prescription and they (free) mail you the finished product. Prices are very good. I've used it and it works. Not all the goggles are suitable for prescripion lens though.

Claim the frame from Westport Co. Mayo!

The best town in Ireland Very Happy
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Mattmulkeen, Spot on! I live in Westport - it is a great town isn't it. Do you know it well?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
horizon wrote:

.....................................The main problem is that the goggle frame needs to be quite deep so the inserts are far enough from the face so they don't get misted up, but then my peripheral vision suffers as things move between corrected and non-corrected vision. I find it takes a while to get used to the effect.

horizon My inserts fix immediately behind the goggle lens so are sitting immediately in the air flow of the goggle venting system, and this must be why they don't mist up like glasses inside goggles seem to do. I think it is wholly that they sit on the venting rather than just the depth of the actual goggles, that makes it mist free, but I could be wrong since I've only tried it with the googles I currently have, and don't know if these are considered 'deep' or not!
I agree that havinging the inserts sitting a bit further away from my eyes than glasses probably would do, gives a larger area of non-corrected vision to deal with, and this takes a bit of getting used to.
I must also admit that the overall effect for someone 'looking in' must look a bit strange (inserts tight up to the goggle, eyes much further back!) but the 'looking out' effect is that I at least get to see the bumps in flat light!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Mattmulkeen, I've got Oakley prescriptions in the frame called minute. They are brilliant. But depends how much you love your bro as they were about 300 squids...Probably go for the cheapies.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
How about a few demister cloths. i go through at least a couple per trip...
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
my inserts practically never mist up - I did expect a bit of trouble with that, but no problems. I never have a demister cloth about the person. Little-used Kleenex usually the best I can do.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy