Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Gulmarg Cable Car Opens at last.

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
The aparently never ending story seems to be over. The cable car in Gulmarg, Kashmir has finally officialy opened. Running on a 5km long cable stretching up to an altitude of 4390m, it will take people higher than any other cable car...

Operating just a few miles from the ceasefire line between India and Pakistan, cynics have suggested that the installation may be intended more for the use of the Indian Army than for tourists.
More from snowHeads on the spot here

Articles from 24x7 , Reuters , and Kashar Net.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I wonder what the terrible earthquake has done to this new lift? The epicentre was not very far from Gulmarg.

As the tragedy unravels there are so many appaling stories of loss and personal tragedy that it seems frivolous to think of skiing, but the re-awakening of the tourist industry in Kashmir was going to be one of the building blocks for a better future for the state. Sad
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
From this map the epicenter of the quake was Mazaffarabad which is not far from Uri (the report says Islamabad is 50 miles away and Uri is a lot closer). And according to this map Uri is just west of Gulmarg. I reckon this lift is a goner.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Sherpa's crew have an update on http://www.himalayanpowderdreams.com/. There are some excellent links on there. Pretty awful sums up what the locals are going through.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
From that link above it appears that Gulmarg and the gondola have been relatively unaffected and that tourists are urged not to cancel their planned trips.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Well, I don't want to pour more gloom on, but I wonder if that report isn't a tad optimistic.
Quote:
The Gondola is also in tact. As was the case in the aftermath of the Tsunami only 9 months ago
The mention of the Tsunami is intriguing.
The report suggests the death toll is 1300. This report from yesterday (just one day after the Gulmarg report) says 40,000.
I can understand the desperation of the people, but the whole infrastructure of the place has been wrecked.
Even if the gondola is intact, I wonder how much else is.
It would be wonderful if Gulmarg has been spared, and the transport system is working and supplies are getting in.
I rather doubt it.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Jonpim, the figure of 1,300 was for Indian-controlled Kashmir (which is where Gulmarg is situated), which appears to have suffered a lot less than Pakistan, and this is roughly the figure that is being given on the news for Indian fatalities. 40,000 is one figure given for the casualties in Pakistan.

I don't think the infrastructure around Srinigar and Gulmarg has been anywhere near as devastated as that seen on the news, which is all in Pakistan.

The tsunami is mentioned to urge people not to cancel their trips to visit Kashmir as they were urged not to do after the tsunami. It is not connected to the sentence about the gondola.

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Thu 13-10-05 21:25; edited 2 times in total
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
oops - double postitis
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Cathy Coins, thank you for correcting my Geographic ignorance. (It is of course obvious from my link if had bothered to look carefully).
But, if the Indian areas have suffered so much less it begs the question why? If this is what happened in Islamabad, then why has the area round Uri, which is much closer to the epicentre, not suffered worse?
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Jonpim wrote:
If this is what happened in Islamabad, then why has the area round Uri, which is much closer to the epicentre, not suffered worse?

Different building regulations or practices?
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I believe the local geology can play an important part as well.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I've been to Gulmarg and Srinigar, although back in the 80s. From the state of buildings I saw I would say, what building regulations?? wink Although I know nothing about such things I would suggest it would be more likely due to geological differences. Buildings in Indian Kashmir look no more sturdy than buildings in Pakistan Kashmir were.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Hello, everybody and especially sherpa!

Since this Monday there are some not so good news about Phase II on http://www.kashmiralpine.com/wst_page2.html - it maybe will open only from the second week of January. But this news appeared only on site mentioned above, not anywhere else! J&K TB haven't answered yet too.

We were planning to visit Gulmarg with about 20 peoples and celebrate New Year there, but now we really don't know what to do.

Could anybody from the site or who has reliable info clarify this?

Thanks a lot!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Oddy, you can still use the gondola and the mountain, best stick to the gondolridge if you are in doubt over safety. I hope it is not too late and that you haven't cancelled your trip... you can contact me in future through my site..

here's a quick update on Gulmarg in Kashmir about the upcoming Ski season.

[L=www.himalayanpowderdreams.com]www.himalayanpowderdreams.com[/L]

Speaking to Yasin from the ski shop today i learned that the first descents from the new gondola have already been made this season. There is currently a couple of feet of snow on the higher parts of the mountain, however skiing all the way down to Gulmarg is not yet possible.
The gondola is running well.

Accommodation this winter
Yasin from the ski shop has rooms and cottages available near to the gondola where beds and rooms are available for rent. 500Rs a night will get you all your food, tea, wood (chopped), shopping, done for you with a caretaker working full time for you. There are two bathrooms, 2 bedrooms, a kitchen, a lounge and hot water. Thoroughly recommended! Very cosy.

*** Similar accommodation is also available with Billa Bakshi, from the Green Punjabi Dhaba

Yasin and Billa's contact details are available on the site.

Mission Gulmarg
An international team of ski patrol experts organized by Ido Neiger (www.kashmiralpine.com )will be overseeing the training of Kashmir's first professional ski patrol this winter. Read more about this incredible team at www.Missiongulmarg.com . The ski patrol will not be in place until early in the New Year, before when, you will be required to hand in a letter claiming entire responsibility for your use of the gondola and mountain.

Greg Von Doersten’s article Kashmir: Peace and Powder in the Last Shangri La out now in the current issue of snowboard journal:
""..When I mention the continuing war, Yaseen snaps back: “What war? Gulmarg has never been attacked.” I inquire further and Hamid counters, “The guidebooks and Indian government are giving the wrong impression of this area.” Yaseen reaches for the hookah, a water pipe he uses to smoke tobacco, draws a number of deep puffs from the pipe to rid himself of the ugly reminder, and continues: “Now people are coming back. New Zealand, Canada and Britain—I see new people every month. When the gondola is finished, it will be sooooooo good. ” I get the feeling that after living in this war-torn region for so long, Yaseen and every other Kashmiri I meet perceives safety in relative terms, since everyone in Gulmarg is caught up in this euphoria of hope and denial about the war."

visit www.snowboardjournal.com with Photo of dearest Henry White on the right!

TGR’s latest release Tangerine Dream also has loads of footage from their trip to Gulmarg lasy year.

Gondola prices are confirmed:
a) For Phase One of Gulmarg Gondola to Kongdori 2700m-3100m:
1) Day passes Rs. 500/per day
2) Weekly passes: Rs. 4000/per week

b) For Phase-II of Gulmarg Gondola Project from Kongdori to Apharwat 3100m-4100m:
1) Day passes: Rs. 1000/per day
2) Weekly passes: Rs. 6000/per week

Some other tips for a trip to Gulmarg....
1. Buy a 'Pharan' on your way through Srinagar
2. Keep hold of your small change as much as you can in Gulmarg
3. Check out the huts with Yasin and Billa - they are cosy enough especially with a batman to help out.
4. In the Tangmarg market, look for the 1 Rupee Peanut crunches wrapped in plastic, they come in a tub. Try Butter Cakes, and 'ladoo' from any bakery.
5. Top bottles: Royal Stag Whisky, Old Monk Rum,
6. If you need a houseboat, try HB Arif - it is very easy to find opposite Hotel Malik on the 'Boulevard'. The owner is called Mohammed Yousuf Baktoo. Sikhara rides ~(boat trips) can be long and cold in a storm so find somewher like the Arif that is near the Boulevard. Also check out Mr Bob's Houseboats - the Lala Rukh Chain if the Arif is full.
7. Good reading - you might find "When Men meet Mountains" by John Keay (i think or Kaye or something) in a Srinagar book shop- excellent tales of historic travellers trampiing round the Himalaya, Karakorams Pamirs Hindu Kush and Kun Lun. Srinagar bookshops are well stocked with the Classics and Biographies but not much else... best to buy in Delhi
8. Flu and colds - if you get the flu or a cold in Gulmarg, find a herbal root called Shangar, boil it until it is black and drink it. A bit aniseedy, but drinkable.
9. Remember 2700m is pretty high - be as fit as possible for your trip! And try to keep visits to Srinagar to a minimum!

Pre season woe for Joe,

Last of all i am sad, (well, that doesnt really say half of it), to say that i will not be in Gulmarg all season this year. During an innocent game of squash recently i damaged my knee ligaments and have been advised not to ski or board for while. A bit poo-poo considering... but i hope some of you may be out there experiencing a trully unique time in history for both Gulmarg Kashmir and the sports and madness we all enjoy so much. The best i am hoping for is a couple of weeks in Feb.

However my good friend and colleague Paul Exall will be there once again guiding when called upon.

Links to our site.
We’re also looking to get some links to our site so please email me through the site if you fancy some backscratching, and helping us out a little.

For now though,

Bara Assalaam Alaikum, Kripaya Bahut Maza
(big peace be on you, please enjoy greatly)

hope some info here helps. sherpa

[L=www.himalayanpowderdreams.com]www.himalayanpowderdreams.com[/L]
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
link is www.himalayanpowderdreams.com just in case
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy