Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

K2 Wayback - Opinions?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I'm after a new, not too expensive touring ski. I've currently got a pair of TLT Speeds mounted on some old Atomic BetaRides from the dawn of time and am keen for an updated set-up.

I'm keen to stick with the Dynafiddles so want to mount them on an appropriate ski. The K2 Wayback seems to fit the bill. Wide enough to enough the pow when it's there, not too wide that it's a pain to skin with, bit of tip rocker to avoid tip dive in tricky snow and they're reasonably light and not too expensive. I'm skiing in Scarpa Matrix boots, which I'm assuming will be fine with the skis.

Are they as I've described them or am I just lapping up the marketing guff? I thought about the Coomback but as I ski solely in Europe, they seemed a bit of overkill. I was also a bit concerned they'd overpower my boots.

Any thoughts much appreciated.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
No one?

Anyone have any experience or opinions?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Can't comment on the Wayback but I ski on the Coomback in Europe and absolutely love it. Got Fritschi Freeride bindings rather than Dynafit so can't comment on that either Embarassed
However, one thing I was really impressed with is how versatile it is, I thought it would feel sluggish on piste but it amazed me how lively it felt for a 102mm waist. Plus its awesome in powder, the rocker really helps keeping the tips up.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Funny enough I fondled a WayBack in Braemar Mountain Sports last weekend.
Expected it to be a soft, noodle, rando geeks ski.
But pleasantly surprised - it actually looked to be stiff, light, 88mm under foot and reasonable powerful.
With dynafit it would be a very nice dedicated touring set up.

The original Coomba was one of my favorite skis.
Coomback will be much better and easier on the descents - just because its wider.
Don\'t be intimidated by the width - its easy to ski & versatile.
However depends what you want the ski for.
As ever with touring gear its a compromise between the up + down.

Other options would be the Movement touring skis (Jackal or Couloir).
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

Funny enough I fondled a WayBack in Braemar Mountain Sports last weekend.
Expected it to be a soft, noodle, rando geeks ski.
But pleasantly surprised - it actually looked to be stiff, light, 88mm under foot and reasonable powerful.
With dynafit it would be a very nice dedicated touring set up.

Great, that's the kind of feedback I was hoping for. Low Dawson et al seem pretty keen on them over the pond but US snow isn't necessarily the same.

Quote:

The original Coomba was one of my favorite skis.
Coomback will be much better and easier on the descents - just because its wider.
Don\'t be intimidated by the width - its easy to ski & versatile

Is it a pain to skin up on? Would it be too much for my Scarpa Matrixes? I read Mike Hattrup talking about loving the Coomb then trying the Anti Piste, which was a Coomba with tip rocker and he was so impressed, the Coomback was born. I'm keen, it just feels like it'll be overkill for Scotland and the Alps.

Quote:

However depends what you want the ski for.
As ever with touring gear its a compromise between the up + down.

I'm after a one size fots all touring ski. Caingorm 4000ers to short day tours/hikes for some powder in resort to hut to hut tours like the Haute Route. The BeatRides are great on the way up and fine on hard snow but if there's any powder, I feel I'm missing out. I'm not after a piste ski at all.

Thank's for the responses.

(Love the site by the way)
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Coomback is a great all round ski for the alps. Super easy to ski and light for its size.
Should be able to drive it ok with touring boots if your a decent skier (the flex is medium / soft).
With Dynafit it will be plenty light for skinning up (most of the weight saving is in the binding not the ski)
The only condition Coomback wont excel on is hard snow and ice... which we can get in Scotland.

Quote:
I\'m after a one size fits all touring ski. Caingorm 4000ers to short day tours/hikes for some powder in resort to hut to hut tours like the Haute Route.

Coomback (or Hardside) would be much better for going down. Especially in soft snow.
For haute route / longer touring days / 1000m+ ascents then the Wayback will win, as a dedicated touring ski.
Plus its also narrower under foot - so might be easier on hard snow. But I am just guessing...

My only other advice would be to get some ski brakes if your using dynfit regularly in a resort.
Guessing your looking on Sport Conrad ? Wink

Cheers

Doug.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Not got any experience of the wayback, but i now have 3 days experience on my Hardsides in varying conditions including crud, powder, firm piste, packed powder, wind blown slab etc...

all i can say is that the skis handle it all very capably and the rocker does make a difference in the deep fresh and chopped up stuff and helps with small drops etc negating tip dive on landing etc. nothing crazy, but i like to drop off small stuff that you'll find off piste etc. they've also given me a new found confidence to drive the tips properly when hitting slightly steeper stuff. still learning to ski them as they're different feeling from previous but first impressions are that they're great skis.

skiing glenshee at the weekend they were a delight. the ski itself felt pretty light considering its size, but the barons i have mounted add weight.

whatever you choose, good luck and keep us posted as there is certainly a lack of info on the range in general on the net.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I am looking at Sport Conrad but as I'm slow out the blocks as always, the Hardside is only available in 174 and I'm 6 foot and 13.5st so it'll be a little short.

The Wayback from last year hasn't got any tip rocker and that was something that really appealed. Same deal with the Coomba, it's cheap but do I bite the bullet and buy the new Coomback with the tip rocker for an extra £100?

Decisions decisions.........
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Coomba... Maybe 181cm if your doing a lot of touring + kickturns. Otherwise 188cm.
Use the £100 you saved for new skins.

Perhaps a little wide (102mm) for really hard days in Scotland - but you will cope.
Plus you wont care - as they excel in anything soft. Very light for a ski that size.
(Coomback tip rocker is subtle - however the medium flex and soft tip is the main characteristic of both skis).
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I'm 5"8 and 12st and have 181cm Hardsides. I have to ski pretty aggressively on piste to make them work but when it opens up off piste they're perfect so I'd say 174 is definitely too short for you.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy