Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The first turn...

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I am a light skier but I really like a stiff ski, always had problems while racing bending the ski at slow speed.

Does anyone have any good tricks for bending skis and getting round the first turn in or out of the gates or indeed any slow turn without skidding and losing a lot of speed or balance?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Pies?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
fatbob, Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
dulcamara, slight knee angulation for first turn(s)

For reference videos see Knee Angulation
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I might get a bit more angle on the ski but surely i would lose the ability to bend the ski using leg strength?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
fatbob wrote:
Pies?

Works for me, with beer that is? Very Happy
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Could we move away from the idea that the only to do this is to get fat. There must be a way to turn a ski at slow speed without being single....
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
dulcamara wrote:
I might get a bit more angle on the ski but surely i would lose the ability to bend the ski using leg strength?

First, the energy that bends the ski comes from the forces generated by the turn itself. It's not self generated. On gentle terrain, where speeds take time to build, turn forces during the beginning of a turn can be low. There's not much there yet to bend the ski, or to keep us in balance as we incline into the turn to put our skis on edge. This is why Little Tiger suggested the usage of knee angulation. It allows us to put the skis on a strong edge angle, while keeping our Center of Mass more over top of our skis. That allows us to maintain lateral balance while the turn forces are low, yet still create the turn shape we desire. Later, our speed will increase, the turn forces will grow, and the Center of Mass can then be dropped further into the turn via hip angulation.

Make sense?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
dulcamara
I've tried this myself. When I first skied my 181cm Elan GSX skis they were much stiffer than would readily bend at the speeds I was accustomed to. These were full bore stock race skis from a FIS racer. I simply needed about 3 turns(or a long run downhill) Shocked to get enough speed to easily bend them.

FastMan suggested the small amount of knee angulation, as I suggested to you, when I explained the issue. I tried it - bingo no problem! I had the method I needed to control the ski more until I got to speed. If the race course was too turny for that to work I usually needed a shorter length or a cheater GS ski(detuned around 17m radius)

Give it a try - you just need a bit to start the whole thing going!

FastMan wrote:

First, the energy that bends the ski comes from the forces generated by the turn itself. It's not self generated. On gentle terrain, where speeds take time to build, turn forces during the beginning of a turn can be low. There's not much there yet to bend the ski, or to keep us in balance as we incline into the turn to put our skis on edge. This is why Little Tiger suggested the usage of knee angulation. It allows us to put the skis on a strong edge angle, while keeping our Center of Mass more over top of our skis. That allows us to maintain lateral balance while the turn forces are low, yet still create the turn shape we desire. Later, our speed will increase, the turn forces will grow, and the Center of Mass can then be dropped further into the turn via hip angulation.

Make sense?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I'll definitely spend a bit of time playing with my knees tomorrow.

Must admit I've tried this before but i never really got enough turn for the first gate generally in my races I would end up late for the next 10 gates and spend most of the course on my tails.... praying. Friend today was suggested unweighting the ski completely to get it re-angled as there wouldn't be much force at low speed that would need redirecting, bit like drift and lock or even stepping, or would i lose a lot of speed with this?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
dulcamara, if you're speaking in regards to racing, it''s different. There, your line is dictated, and speed is of the essence. You don't have the luxury to just wait around for the forces to grow, as you take any old line down the slope. You have to skate your fist one or more turns. Diverging steps they're called. Practice this:

http://www.yourskicoach.com/SkiGlossary/Skating.html

And practice this:

http://www.yourskicoach.com/SkiGlossary/Thousand_Steps.html

Those should get you going in the right direction (sorry for the play on words).
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Cool, lots to play with tomorrow. i'll just be happy if i can get round without falling inside
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy