Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Snow chains....

Poster: A snowHead
Does anyone know the difference between Konig k-summit and Thule k-summit, apart from about £50. Are they not the same thing? Looks like I'm needing to spend a fortune as my car / tyre combo (s-max, 235/45/18 ) has zero clearance.
Does anyone have any recomendations about either of the above, or Spikes Spiders, or Maggis Trak, or know of any other similar style chains?

Many thanks.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Mon 6-12-10 22:05; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
captaindarling13, Spikes Spiders have a relatively unobtrusive bit that you fit to the outside of the wheel at the beginning of the winter season and leave attached all season and then it's very quick to add the "chain" when it's needed.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Snowsox.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
its possible to get 'low profile' chains...best to speak to an expert retailer and see what options they suggest. of course you could just stick your hand behind the wheel and run it round to feel what clearance you actually have. If its less than 15mm i'd be surprised and low profile chains are usually 6-9mm from memory.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
These cost me just over £60 a pair inc. delivery. I can vouch they also worked very well fitted to 4WD rear wheels for a 1 in 5 gradient sheet ice track that only the tractor with studs could also climb.

http://www.autow.co.uk/snow_chains/rud_soft_spike.html

They have the speed fitting benefits of socks but with an additional wire weave for grip on ice and to prolong their longevity for occasional tarmac use (tested to over 120 KM on tarmac).

http://www.rud.com/en/unternehmen/aktuelles/presse/schneeketten1/hightech_textil_stahl.html

Seems to me that the archaic regulations on metal chains only needs revising now that products like these have reached the market.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
captaindarling13 wrote:
Does anyone know the difference between Konig k-summit and Thule k-summit, apart from about £50. Are they not the same thing? Looks like I'm needing to spend a fortune as my car / tyre combo (s-max, 235/45/1Cool has zero clearance.
Does anyone have any recomendations about either of the above, or Spikes Spiders, or Maggis Trak, or know of any other similar style chains?

Many thanks.

I'm fairly sure these are the same. IIRC Thule acquired, or acquired the marketing of, the Konig product
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
another option on that tyre size

http://www.snowchains.co.uk/cgi-bin/quattroindex4.pl
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I've found www.roofbox.co.uk to be a very useful site because you can input your vehicle details and it will tell you whether a particular tyre size is a "No fit" for conventional chains on specific car/tyre combinations. Some other sites just ask for a tyre size and that could lead to some very expensive repairs if the chains do foul the suspension, brake pipes, bodywork etc.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
moffatross wrote:
These cost me just over £60 a pair inc. delivery. I can vouch they also worked very well fitted to 4WD rear wheels for a 1 in 5 gradient sheet ice track that only the tractor with studs could also climb.

http://www.autow.co.uk/snow_chains/rud_soft_spike.html

They have the speed fitting benefits of socks but with an additional wire weave for grip on ice and to prolong their longevity for occasional tarmac use (tested to over 120 KM on tarmac).

http://www.rud.com/en/unternehmen/aktuelles/presse/schneeketten1/hightech_textil_stahl.html

Seems to me that the archaic regulations on metal chains only needs revising now that products like these have reached the market.

As you say the regs probably need defining. I know its a grey area, but I wonder how risky it is to carry these in place of 'proper snow chains' as far as the law is concerned. (Going to the French alps by the way.)
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
skinutter wrote:

Currently waiting for a set from these guys.
Slow doesn`t even come close to the speed they operate and then to add insult to injury they can`t even be @rsed to even answer phone or email.
This cost me a night in a hotel last night as I am still waiting for them.
Should be here in the summer sometime. Mad
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Not grey at all. Autosocks are approved in France:

http://www.autosock.com/default.aspx?did=9079022
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
DAVE 2227 wrote:
skinutter wrote:

Currently waiting for a set from these guys.
Slow doesn`t even come close to the speed they operate and then to add insult to injury they can`t even be @rsed to even answer phone or email.
This cost me a night in a hotel last night as I am still waiting for them.
Should be here in the summer sometime. Mad

DAVE 2227, Hi, how long have you been waiting for your chains, my sister is in the same position. She ordered hers 10 days ago and they have not arrived yet.

Anyone got any idea of how to get in touch with showchains seeing as they are not answering e-mails or phonecalls.

Cheers in advance.

S
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I imagine they're snowed under with orders

Wink
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Two weeks.
Take your money instantly as well so it would be nice to even give an estimated time.
Poor service.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
DAVE 2227 wrote:
Two weeks.
Take your money instantly as well so it would be nice to even give an estimated time.
Poor service.

Yeah, my sister's cash was quick in disappearing from her Bank too. Not impressed with the customer service or lack of it. We are due to head to the Alps in two weeks so as you can imagine its paramount that we get them.

Thanks for getting back to me.

Cheers

S
ski holidays
whois for snowchains.co.uk:
Quote:
Domain name:
snowchains.co.uk

Registrant:
John Copson and Tim Summers

Trading as:
Snowchains Europroducts

Registrant type:
UK Partnership

Registrant's address:
Unit 12 Bourne Enterprise CTR, Wrotham Road, Borough Green
Sevenoaks
Kent
TN15 8DG
United Kingdom

Quick Google reveals:
http://www.cylex-uk.co.uk/company/snowchains-europroducts-16975801.html
snow conditions
altis,

Thanks for the info, if I was closer I may go and knock their door.
snow report
If you could be bothered to read the info on the snowchains.co.uk's website, you'd see that they are a little on the busy side at the moment.

As I always ask people who ring me chasing things: "Which urgent job would you like me to drop to deal with the other urgent job?" And "If you just left me to get on with it, we'd get the job done far quicker than answering the phone all the time."

altis, Not sure what you point was in posting whois info, http://www.snowchains.co.uk/main/about_us.htm gives plenty lots of detail,

(No connection with snowchains etc..., just a happy (past) customer.)
snow report
felt momentarily bad for suggesting them (i've olnly ever had good experience from them) however their status and delivery/email situation is all over the home page. Can't say fairer than that...

http://www.snowchains.co.uk/index.htm updates from the start of this months bad weather
latest report
RobW wrote:
If you could be bothered to read the info on the snowchains.co.uk's website, you'd see that they are a little on the busy side at the moment.

As I always ask people who ring me chasing things: "Which urgent job would you like me to drop to deal with the other urgent job?" And "If you just left me to get on with it, we'd get the job done far quicker than answering the phone all the time."

altis, Not sure what you point was in posting whois info, http://www.snowchains.co.uk/main/about_us.htm gives plenty lots of detail,

(No connection with snowchains etc..., just a happy (past) customer.)

"RobW"]If you could be bothered , I find you comment quite rude and not at all helpful. Both my sister and I have been trying to log on to their website for the past couple of days with no luck, maybe their website is experiencing difficulties, I dont know. We both live in different parts of Scotland so my apologies, perhaps the snow has brought down www from Scotland to Kent. However having no response via e-mail or telephone is proving a little frustrating, all it takes is a little customer relations to keep folks happy. Perhaps if you were waiting on your items to arrive you would view things a little differently.

Your comment "Which urgent job would you like me to drop to deal with the other urgent job?" And "If you just left me to get on with it, we'd get the job done far quicker than answering the phone all the time." is fair enough, at least you answer the phone and respond to your customers.

Enough said
latest report
Sorry GixerGirl, not intending to be rude, but as skinutter also points out
Quote:
their status and delivery/email situation is all over the home page.
ski holidays
RobW wrote:
Quote:

Yes I understand, but as I also mentioned in one of my previous messages both my sister and I have had problems trying to get on to their home page. Bearing in mind that we were both experiencing problems from different areas of Scotland, it was only natural that we both fell to the conclusion that there was a problem with their website at their end and we were therefore unable to see the info that other folks have access to.
snow conditions
understandable, espcially when someone else is holding your cash and something it yet to turn up. Anyway, looks like their are enjoying a little too much syuccess and the website pipe isn't fat enough for the traffic i'd imagine Happy
snow report
captaindarling13, i have a mondeo ST and have a real issue with the clearance from the top of the tyre and the wheel arch, i cant put chains on my car - hence why i am now about to buy smaller alloys and winter tyres. Im sure the S-Max, has exactly the same issue. I will ask on the other forum and get back to you, so dont buy the chains just yet!
snow report
No consolation for you now I know GixerGirl but http://www.autow.co.uk delivered my Rud Soft Spikes by RM Parcel Force next day. However, I ordered a week before the big white arrived so they may well be snowed under too by now.
snow conditions
GixerGirl wrote:
RobW wrote:
Quote:

Yes I understand, but as I also mentioned in one of my previous messages both my sister and I have had problems trying to get on to their home page. Bearing in mind that we were both experiencing problems from different areas of Scotland, it was only natural that we both fell to the conclusion that there was a problem with their website at their end and we were therefore unable to see the info that other folks have access to.

No problems here or for others it would appear - maybe the problem is your end?

Again have had no problems with them in the past
snow report
We've used snow socks on our S-max through some fairly bad conditions though we have the slightly smaller 225/50 tyres Last year we had to put them on at Foix on the way to Andorra, thats a LONG way short of the resort, essentially climbing the whole mountain with them on.
We pulled up next to a small car with a 20 something holding a chain up ready to put it on the wheel, I got out, pulled the socks over each wheel rolled forward 1/2 turn and pulled the other half on and drove off before the other guy even had one chain on.
We also bought a cheap (£10) set of chains in Andorra that we have used on wet grass, even tho the manual says no to chains on this tyre size there seemed to be adequate clearance.
snow conditions
GixerGirl, Got a set of chains from them today took 8 days but
You are down as staying at Peebles which is not far from me
How do you expect to get them delivered in the recent conditions exactly
Do you expect the couriers to take them out the box and fit them to their van so they can get to you Puzzled

I have got previous sets from them in two days but that was before the snow came

I just need my winter tyres to come now though they are on their way from Germany if only I had got my finger out and ordered them sooner
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
GixerGirl, Sorry rereading my last post its a bit over snippy Embarassed
snow report
Modern Britain. We want everything for nothing. Then when we can't get through on the phone because the price we are willing to pay means the supplier cannot afford to employ staff to answer it, we don't like it.

Even if, like me, you would like to pay a little more and receive a degree of customer service, this is no longer possible because all those suppliers have been driven out of business.

Smell the coffee people, this is the world we have all created.
snow conditions
Garfield wrote:
GixerGirl, Got a set of chains from them today took 8 days but
You are down as staying at Peebles which is not far from me
How do you expect to get them delivered in the recent conditions exactly
Do you expect the couriers to take them out the box and fit them to their van so they can get to you Puzzled

I have got previous sets from them in two days but that was before the snow came

I just need my winter tyres to come now though they are on their way from Germany if only I had got my finger out and ordered them sooner

Perhaps if you had read my previous postings correctly you would have noticed that the chains are not for me but for my sister who lives in a completely different part of Scotland, certainly yes I would have had problems with deliveries but she has not. I already have mine and have done for some time.
latest report
Garfield wrote:
GixerGirl, Sorry rereading my last post its a bit over snippy Embarassed

Hi, just notice your other post, my apologies for my rather snippy reply too.
snow report
sanman wrote:
Modern Britain. We want everything for nothing. Then when we can't get through on the phone because the price we are willing to pay means the supplier cannot afford to employ staff to answer it, we don't like it.

Even if, like me, you would like to pay a little more and receive a degree of customer service, this is no longer possible because all those suppliers have been driven out of business.

Smell the coffee people, this is the world we have all created.

I would disagree.
Yes there wasn`t anyone else I could buy them from in the UK but the price is set by them and the service should be of a certain standard IMO
In contrast I also ordered winter tyres from My Tyres who you could argue brought prices way down in the tyre market.An email was sent with estimated delivery date and also a tracking link which was updated promptly.
Snowchains didn`t even do any of that despite paying substantial payment for "priority delivery" on top.

Poor service is the issue here not suppliers economics tbh.

PS I am still waiting.
latest report
DAVE 2227, As they've not yet been delivered, why don't you just cancel and get someone else with better service to supply you??
ski holidays
Quote:

Yes there wasn`t anyone else I could buy them from in the UK but the price is set by them and the service should be of a certain standard IMO

DAVE 2227, of course I agree service should be of a standard, especially as you have apparently paid extra for it

But my actual experience is, and i have seen this over and over and over again, that service is sadly lacking, and the shortage of staff and often woeful training of those that there are, stems from our obsession with buying everything on price, beause that is the only thing you can objectively judge in advance, so everything is pared to the bone.

Cheers - Tim
snow report
When Sowchains eventually get your chains to you I hope that you've still got some sense of humour left to smile at the "fragile" and "handle with care" stickers that they put on the box Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
Off to Chamonix next week and need snowchains for the Mini.

I have two sets of unopened snowchains about 10 years old, one for a Land Rover and one for a Laguna. They were both from Halfords and are numbered 60 and 90.

A check of the Halfords web site says that snowchains for the Mini 176/65/R15 should be 60. However they now use new suppliers. They of course can't be certain whether they will fit.

Do I take the risk? Will a test fit of them prove anything?
snow conditions
Cymru am Byth, It sometimes says on the box which tyres sizes they'll fit. A test fit will tell you if they'll fit or not, do it on the spare wheel if you don't fancy getting dirty.
latest report
I have a pair of chains for my car, and they fit my Wife's car perfectly even though her tyre size isn't listed on the box.

I'm not sure if I am taking any risks by using them on her car, but I can't find any that state her tyre size other than really expensive heavy-duty 4x4 specific chains. Her car is really a '4x4-lite' (a Honda CRV), which is actually a lot lighter than my car, a Jaguar XF, and I was advised to fit these on my car due to the heaviness of it.
ski holidays
Whitters, if they fit really snug, with that heavy wire thingy not in danger of creeping onto the running surface of the tyre (ie shoved well over the back) with clearance all round, can't see that there'd be any problem. We had to use a pair which was not quite the right size in the sudden heavy snow in October - I was a bit apprehensive but they were OK, lashed up with a pair of Snow and Rock powder traces which I bought in a sale in a fit of enthusiasm about 8 years ago and had never used since!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy