Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Jungfrau region vs. Chamonix, or other suggestions? Late Dec/early Jan - UPDATE: Bought plane ticket

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
did some searching on the forum and found some info, but not entirely what I was looking for. As I have mentioned before I got sent to the UK on business from the states for 6 months. I have a Christmas break from Dec. 23 to Jan 3 and I need to go get some skiing in. I have a very close friend and old roommate of 4 years who is currently in school in Finland (and doesn't have a lot of cash) who is planning on meeting me somewhere to ski. I am an expert skier and like to ski steep and fast runs with some technical lines and small to 20-30ft cliff drop type stuff (depending on snow depth). My buddy is a snowboarder, pretty good but wouldn't be following me through more techy stuff or drops. I need a place that can keep me entertained and some nightlife to keep the liver working wouldn't be bad, though I would take better skiing over nightlife.

We can both get to Geneva pretty inexpensively, and a friend who spent a lot of time in Italy suggested Jungfrau region or Chamonix, I was also looking into Verbier a little. I have found a cheap hostel in Interlaken that my friend suggested, and have heard its a little bit of a train ride to the resort, but honestly as long as I can get there around mountain opening that is fine. I would rather spend less money and have to wake up a little earlier. We are willing to stay in whatever cheap accomodations we can find, only requirements are heat and safe place to keep luggage really, though beds are nice too. Hostels in Chamonix seemed a little more expensive, and to be honest I just realized I spaced on checking hostel rates near Verbier. Lift ticket prices seem relatively comparable to me.

So whats the general consensus? I get the impression that Jungfrau region is a little less challenging of skiing than Chamonix, and that Chamonix will probably be a little more expensive in terms of night life, food and such. Is there another place that I am leaving out that I should strongly consider? I think I am going to get to wherever we go a few days prior to him and will likely look into a BC guide for a day wherever I end up, it will be a christmas present to myself.

Additionally, where are the best sources for detailed snow reports? From what I have found it seems like there are slim pickings around there at this point, what is to be expected in late Dec?

Thanks in advance, from what I have gathered so far this site seems to be a wealth of info. I have never tried to plan a Euro ski trip before and I frankly just don't know where to start, basically going on advice, tips and recommendations from a friend.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Wed 8-12-10 0:30; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
For what you are after I'd say the Jungfrau region is not for you, in addition there are a number of very flat runs in teh area which are probably going to really annoy your snowboarding friend and the nightlife is often limited
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I think Chamonix sounds better for you, however possibly consider Cervinia in Italy, excellent links with Zermatt, offers some of the best (challenging) skiing in the alps. If you want more info have a look at our easy to read resort guides at Chamonix http://www.loveskiing.co.uk/reviews/france/chamonix/ and Zermatt http://www.loveskiing.co.uk/reviews/switzerland/zermatt/

Hope they help, any other questions im happy to help

Jim
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
There are some good hostels in Chamonix - the Snowheads Chamonix locals could give you the details. My niece and BF stayed in one for a week, lived on baguettes and had a ball. Or try the UCPA hostel in Argentiere - which include some high level off piste tuition/guiding, and a range of other options. http://www.ucpa-vacances.com/centre/argentiere/
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Chamonix will be both cheaper and more suited to your requirements. There are a few hostels in the valley but get your skates on for xmas/new year bookings.

http://www.chamonet.com/listings/Chamonix/Gites_&_Hostels/44/ALL/ALL/ALL
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Well, after watching plane tickets climb for a few days I got a flight from Liverpool to Geneva for £188, flying out on Dec. 24th and back on the night of the 2nd (allowing time to squeeze one last ski day in on the second. I think we are set on Chamonix now, and now it comes down to finding a place to stay...

It is amazing how the price climbs when booking an easyjet flight, by the way. I bought one for £120ish and all of a sudden these fees started racking up to £188.

Who on this forum is a Chamonix local? Need some hostel advice.

Thanks a bunch for all the info and help.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
americanskier, pleased you picked Chamonix. Jungfrau is lovely and appears to have some fine BC but I think you would need a guide for all of it. Not that you wouldn't want a guide for some of the stuff round Cham, but techier stuff is, IMO, more accessible.

Your big problem is accommodation. You are staying the busiest week of the winter. Try UCPA, Le Vagabond, the Vert...
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks for the tips, Vagabond has great prices, and I still think it is a better deal (with food included) but I have booked a 3 person room for 69 euros in Hotel El Paso. Sounds like it might be a little ratty, but just under 35 a person per night isn't bad, and if we can find one more person to take the 3rd bed then I am definitely sold on it.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy