Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski development in last few years

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I'm a reasonable skier who is happy to cruise blues and reds and occasionally try more daring stuff, side of piste powder etc. I much prefer ideal conditions i.e. layer of fresh powder on hard base, I'm not really interested in coping with soft crud, ice, slush but I can if I have to. Although I only ski one or sometimes two weeks a year I've always owned my own skis and keep them long enough until the hire cost has easily been saved (don't fly btw so no carriage and do my own maintenance). I have a pair of 170cm Head XP40s (really) bought in S&R sale in 2002. These were my first carver skis (after hiring some briefly) and I rememeber the difference being dramatic i.e. you just put them on their edges and they turn. However, I realise they're getting old and am considering an upgrade this season - what differences would I notice now? I realise skis have become fatter and a tad shorter but, for what I do, would I really notice THAT much difference e.g. is it worth it?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Anyone? What I want to know is: would 2010 skis feel grippier, cope better with varying conditions etc. OR have they not really changed that much for general cruising? (compared with my 2002 skis).
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
billb, I have a pair of xp40's as rock hoppers, they are rather narrow at the waist 64mm? Buying something a little more all mountain and wider at the waist would make your excursions easier and would still work just as well on piste. When you next go skiing find a shop that has a demo fleet and try various skis, see if they will allow you to swap skis and then knock the hire price off the purchase of new one if you like a pair.

Just as suggestions Fischer wattea 78 and 84, scott missions are falline mag favourites, based on what they seem to think the average british reasonable skier would like, but there are lots of others with mm waists of top 70's to 80's.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
billb wrote:
Anyone? What I want to know is: would 2010 skis feel grippier, cope better with varying conditions etc. OR have they not really changed that much for general cruising? (compared with my 2002 skis).

Really depends which 2010 skis you get. The big difference since 2002 is skis come in a much bigger range of shapes and sizes.
If you want something grippier then you can get something a bit stiffer and maybe longer.
If you want something which will cope better with varying conditions then get something wider. You can go up to about 80/85mm waist before it will make any noticable difference to piste performance.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
carroz, snowrider, Thanks for that. I figured that the waist width may be a factor. I'll try something wider next time, as you both suggest.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy