Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The Perfect Christmas Gift for an OBSESSED Skier -- HELP needed!

Poster: A snowHead
--

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Fri 10-12-10 9:26; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
CluelessSkiersGirlfriend, One of the latest ski DVD's, not sure whats out at the moment but if you pop into any good ski shop they would have a selection for you to choose. I think there around the £20 - £25 mark. wink
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
dress up like a Lange girl?

http://www.thesnowjunkies.com/2009/11/06/vintage-lange-girl-gallery/

wink
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I thought that was a collection of girls called Ange
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
If you can afford them get him some Hestra gloves, he will love you long time.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
A subscription to snowHead
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
A WEEK ON THE EOSB, THAT,S WHAT I GOT LAST XMAS,THE BEST PRESENT EVER
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
--

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Fri 10-12-10 9:26; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
CluelessSkiersGirlfriend, no it's me using Smilies - the snowHead is usually a reference to SnowHeads i.e. this web site.

My comment was somewhat tongue in cheek, although there is a nice range of t-shirts for sale from the Home Page
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
--

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Fri 10-12-10 9:27; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
My wonderful, wonderful wife got me a subscription to Powder magazine last year...
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
CluelessSkiersGirlfriend, welcome to Snowheads. What sort of level of budget have you? That might give us a better idea of what to suggest.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
CluelessSkiersGirlfriend, check the website, you will see ;D. Swedish handmade leather perfection.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
My polar buff is my favorite accessory and would be very chuffed to get one as a present.

http://www.snowandrock.com/search?keywords=buff
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
We were talking this moring about a great gift from IKEA, bet he loves it. Shocked

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=1658281&highlight=ikea#1658281
snow conditions
CluelessSkiersGirlfriend, a subscription to Powder Magazine + Hestra Gloves = win! Size is quite important for the gloves though. Probably looking at c£80 for the gloves so it really depends what to you is "too expensive".
ski holidays
CluelessSkiersGirlfriend, book yourself some lessons at your nearest dry slope /snow dome Very Happy
snow report
scotia wrote:
Size is quite important for the gloves though.

ffnnarr ffnnarr Laughing Laughing

Always found the picking of gloves can be a real strange one as lots of people have very different needs and like/dislikes etc. - warmth/style etc. there are plenty in the hestra range though so maybe giving him a choice might be the best option (if taking away the magic a little). And maybe "gloves for christmas" might get him ruminating about long term committment???! Laughing Laughing

Little gadgets are also sometimes welocme to throw into the sock - eg mini karabiner with a watch/thermometer for his pack (a small clip on/key ring thermometer basically)

Good shout on the dvds / mags
snow conditions
Hi there & welcome! I love my neck buff too - not a polar one, just a thin one, but lovely and warm. Also Wildsmith's idea is a really good one - get yourself hooked too so that he can share it with you.
ski holidays
I just treated myself to a super neck buff in snow and rock - £22. To stop myself buying an £89 Icebreaker merino top. I agree that gloves are very individual - I try on 9 for every 1 pair that fits.

But the idea of buying yourself a ski lesson is a really good one - he will be only too aware that unless you come to share his obsession, his skiing days might be numbered, so long as you are together. wink
ski holidays
CluelessSkiersGirlfriend, Welcome to snowHead

I'm surprised no-one has mentioned a Helmet! Toofy Grin
snow report
A subscription to Sky+ so you can watch all the Eurosport ski racing, and cat-skiing programmes from BC on Extreme channel, (always on at 2am..................no not THOSE channels before you mention it) and ready for watching all year round but especially at this time of year when its nearing that time of year again!! Toofy Grin
ski holidays
CluelessSkiersGirlfriend, Welcome to snowHeads ( snowHead ) As a couple of others have said, it would be helpful for us to have an idea of your budget and also the kind of skiing that your bf does? Does he already have a lot of kit? The more info we have, the better the suggestions will be (well... some of them anyway) wink
snow report
Best present costs nothing but is priceless - free pass for as many trips away with his mates as he wants in season (& Southern Hemisphere season as well if you really care wink )
ski holidays
CluelessSkiersGirlfriend, unless I missed it you have yet to give an idea of price range. Also it helps to know what he likes to ski. Has he got to the stage of skiing a lot off piste? Does he use skins to walk up where lifts don't go? Might he be getting into more extreme terrain where he might sometimes be attached to a rope to get into something? These things open up new gift possibilities - though you might then have to know what he has already (eg skins or harness)
snow report
Quote:

Never been skiing and just have no idea about it at all!

So I need all your expertise in picking out the PERFECT Ski-related present for my boyfriend

The ultimate gift would be for you to decide to give skiing a try! Honest! It's a great joint sport and I'm sure he'd like you to give it a go so you could join him on a trip! Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
Bergmeister, +1 on that Smile

CluelessSkiersGirlfriend, you really should come and join us you know.
snow conditions
I dunno lads, "here's yer Christmas pressie, great news, I'm coming on yer next trip with ya". I dunno.....

Laughing Laughing Laughing

might depend on what stage they are in their relationship!

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Mon 6-12-10 21:46; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
How about a beanie with a beard? http://www.beardowear.ca/

Or a nice backpack? Dakine (www.dakine.com) makes some very practical packs that look sweet as well for great prices. I have two different ones and love them both, they get used for skiing, biking, travel and anything else. If you know what type of skiing he does it could help determine if this might be a good idea or not.

Do you know if he skis only in bounds at ski areas (does he ride the lift up, ski down and repeat?) or is he into hiking for his turns and skiing out of bounds/backcountry (or I suppose "off-piste" as you like to call it here). If he ventures out of patrolled ski areas you could get him a very nice avalanche shovel perhaps, but if he only skis in bounds there may not be reason for this.

Regardless of ability, extra layers are always great to have, maybe look for some nice polypro, capilene or similar material shirts and pants, I am a big fan of products by Marmot and Patagonia. Here is a good example, and these can likely be found for cheaper by shopping around online: http://marmot.com/products/midweight_bottom

Really the list can go on and on if you know what type of skiing he does and what he owns. As someone on here mentioned a helmet is a great idea as well, if he doesn't have one it is a perfect chance to get him a stylish, modern one that he will enjoy for its warmth and comfort and fall in love with after taking a good spill.

Oh and if he likes the sauce you might be able to order him some cold poles (www.coldpole.com) though I am not sure how much it would be to ship them over here...Never hurts to have some liquid courage for emergency situations, though I could imagine that the extra weight in your poles might get annoying.
ski holidays
A nice hip flask....my wife bought me one years ago and it really has been a gift that's kept on giving.
latest report
How about a private one to one coaching session on his next trip

or a guide for a decent morning off piste if that's his thing

Plenty of people on here would be able to recommend an instructor/guide once you know where and when
snow report
Just go skiing with him.....(Bridget Jones style.) Use your charms to get him to pay for it. Shocked
snow conditions
I went away skiing with my Ex missus once

The clue is there somewhere Laughing
ski holidays
--

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Fri 10-12-10 9:27; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
CluelessSkiersGirlfriend wrote:
...he likes..... Down slopes?

Is he completely against synthetic?
ski holidays
--

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Fri 10-12-10 9:28; edited 1 time in total
latest report
CluelessSkiersGirlfriend wrote:

Sorry, I must sound like a complete and utter idiot!!!!!

Not at all. I just take the P at every opportunity, which is probably a bit mean, but someone will laugh.
snow report
--

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Fri 10-12-10 9:28; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
They aren't supposed to be laughing at you. They are supposed to be laughing at me..... (at me, not with me...... down, synthetic??? no??)

I feel bad now because you think people are laughing at you. Generally everyone on here will help you if they can, and everyone knows that they all started out with no idea, and they got more help here than they did anywhere else (except for the old people, who learned to ski before the web was invented...... like Scarpa Twisted Evil )
latest report
£50

Ok here's some ideas

A good pair of ski socks, not the great thick tube socks you get for a fiver, a good pair will cost around £20
and will have a high % of merino wool

Actually had a quick look on www.snowandrock.com

here's a couple of ideas
Socks £20
http://www.snowandrock.com/smartwool-phd-ski-medium/socks/ski-snowboard-outdoor-sports/fcp-product/16158

DVD Box set £30 (up to £50 elsewhere)
http://www.snowandrock.com/warren-miller-warren-miller-bx-set/dvds/ski-snowboard-outdoor-sports/fcp-product/16814

I'm sure the others will have lots of other ideas too, just to confuse you a bit more Very Happy
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy