Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Paying for ski hire problems

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
For the last umpteen years we have used snowrental for our ski hire, as they seem to be the cheapest.

I have today tried to pay by Visa debit and it won't take my payment. I have tried two different accounts from two different banks and it will take neither.

I have checked with both banks and my cards and accounts are okay.

I have tried phoning snowrental and they reckon there is no problem with their system.

Has anyone else had this problem
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I occasionally have problems with my Barclays debit card if I try to pay for something online when I am in France, but haven't had any difficulty in the other direction.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Timbobaggins wrote:

I have tried phoning snowrental and they reckon there is no problem with their system.

It's only a guess, but they might have a problem with their system.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Probably the Visa fraud squad 'helping your out' - Call you card company and tell them you are about to spend xxxxx with a company from whatever country. Then try again. The helpdesk people can't see what the fraud prevention people are doing, so if you use your card 500 times in a row in UK and then a major purchase from France, the fraud people decline it. If you do it in store, the Visa machine tells you to contact your card company. When you call them they authorise it. If you do it on-line, it just gets a flat decline
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thornyhill, probably, except I already registered with Barclays that I would be away and might be using my card. I rarely do, cos of the charges, but in this case I was using it online for a UK purchase, my food shop for when I got home.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I can help. Please let me have all of your account numbers and pin codes and I will personally investigate. I will report my findings back to you all from Brazil next week. Twisted Evil
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Timbobaggins, You may find that it has to be a credit card rather than a debit card. Had something similar buying passes on line.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
If it still doesn't work try www.snowbrainer.com. Very good prices and I had no problems booking anythime I used them.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hells Bells wrote:
Thornyhill, probably, except I already registered with Barclays that I would be away and might be using my card. I rarely do, cos of the charges, but in this case I was using it online for a UK purchase, my food shop for when I got home.

If it is a Barclays debit card you have no chance. It takes 4 weeks to convince them you are on holiday, by which time you are back home, and another 4 weeks to convince them you are home again. When Chip and Pin was normal in the UK, but not in the rest of the world, they introduced 'an additional security measure' where they would text you if you tried to make a purchase over 50 quid. They thought it through about halfway, then did it anyway. Once had this text conversation with them from a restaurant in Les Sables d'Olonne.

Text from them - "Have you just used your card to pay E76.18 in Les Sable d'Olonne."
Me (waiting for the transaction to be authorised) "Yes"
"We need to confirm you are the card holder. How much is your mortgage payment"
Me (tracker mortgage when rates were up and down every month) ermmmm..... "400 and something??"
"It needs to be exact"
"Dunno"
"OK - Can you give us a recent transaction and date of transaction"
"I got 200 Euro out of a machine in CDG two days ago"
"How much did it cost you in STG"
"Dunno"
"It will be on your statement"
Now I was getting a bit peed "I love my wife and kids, so I bring them on holiday so we can have a good time, nice food and happy memories. I hate reading my bank statements, as I always have a bit less than I thought I did, so I leave them at home and don't think about them. If it helps, speak to Julie in your department. I verbally abused her for two hours to get her to allow me to take MY money from the cash machine in CDG."

Nothing for 5 minutes.... I am still sitting in the restaurant with a big red face.

"OK - Julie says it definitely sounds like you. Transaction approved"

Since then I have used Nationwide Visa. Call them before you leave, they get dates off you and offer to set a single transaction limit and/or daily transaction limit, but you get to decide the numbers. If you exceed that, they call you and ask you questions like postcode, DOB, date you travelled and how many letters in your mothers maiden name. Most people can roll these answers off without thinking, and the person on the phone gets to decide if it sounds natural. Also, they don't charge you foreign transaction fees. The exchange rate is a bit poor, but a bottle of water costs you 83 cents instead of 80, while most of the other wbanks chuck a couple of quid transaction fee on top

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Tue 7-12-10 23:47; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
skiset are consistently cheaper if you want to try them. they send you a 30% off code if you email them. I have the code some where if you cant get
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy