Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

front heavy skis?

Poster: A snowHead
Should ski's be heavier at the front?

I've just bought some K2 Silencers and when I lift my foot the front of the ski drops because it is heavier than the back.

I was expecting them to be fairly evenly balanced, being twin tips...

Do I need to get the bindings remounted further forwards?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Is this a joke? If you haven't got them centre mounted even for a symmetrical twin they'll always be heavier at the front due to having more nose. Add to the fact that most skis are wider at the front than the tail (hence more material). Its not a problem , unless you're planning on being totally jibtastic you don't want a centre mount anyway.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
AndyN, Welcome to sH's snowHead
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:
Is this a joke?

No, not a joke, I'm just beginner and don't remember my hire skis being as heavy at the front last year and wanted to know if this is correct. Thanks for the reply.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
AndyN, Do you have an opportunity to test them in a dome before you head off on a holiday with them? As fatbob says they may be perfectly ok, but if they feel odd to you, then it may be worth checking them out. I'm not particularly knowledgeable about skis/mountings etc, but when I first skied on my new skis, they just felt 'odd' and unstable. Not like I'd remembered them when I tried a test pair. Turned out the bindings weren't properly mounted and in fact were standing proud of the ski by nearly a cm. Shocked spyderjon kindly fixed 'em for me and they're great now. Having a binding incorrectly mounted is not an impossibility and anyway, testing them out sooner rather than later is a good excuse for a slide. wink
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Do you know how they were mounted? put you boot in the binding and look for the boot centre line mark on the boot. If you look on the ski there will be various lines (on some skis) that corrispond to the mounting positions.

If you have ordered the Twins for park/pipe then you should have the boot centre line over the centre of the ski. If the skis were mounted like this they should feel much more 'balanced' but it may be that you have had them mounted in a more traditional (further back position).

Ive only skiied the silencers very briefly at a ski test,however if I recall correctly the silencers are only a partial twin? so it is more likely that they were traditionally mounted. Also IIRC the silencers are more slender in the tail so will feel heavier toward the tip. None of this is a problem and your perception of the feeling of the skiis will depend on what skis you have had as rental skis in the past.

The traditional mount should be fine for you, Hope you enjoy your skiing Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks, I've checked the bindings and the boot lines up with the traditional marking not the center marking.

That is a bit annoying as I bought them for park and the guy in the shop said he needed my boot to make sure the boot was centered properly, and I assumed by centered that he meant center mounted not traditional mounted...

After a bit of googling yesterday I checked BOF position and it seems like the Traditional mount line should be 2cm further forwards on the ski anyway.

I guess I'll just get them re mounted.

Thanks for all the replies Cool
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Just found this which seems pretty helpful

http://homeboyski.com/2008/03/01/how-to-decide-the-right-binding-mounting-point-on-todays-skis-especially-k2-boards/
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
AndyN, Unless you're solely using them for spinning to win in the park, you'll probably be better off with the traditional mount.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
AndyN, +1 for clarky999, comment on the mounting position, unless you are a purely park focused skier you will fine the ski a lot less stable on the piste, suggest you hold off the re-mount till you have a few runs on them.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Took them for a spin this afternoon and they seem fine for general skiing down the pistes Cool

Guess I'll leave them as they are... and maybe get a second set of skis with a forward mounting just for the park later.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
AndyN wrote:
..No, not a joke, I'm just beginner .....

Quote:
.. That is a bit annoying as I bought them for park..

Park skiing is not my thing - do beginners really do park skiing?
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Everyone's a beginner in the park wink
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:
do beginners really do park skiing?

I want to learn to ski switch (reason for getting twin tips) and jumps (small ones) and rails etc.

My gf says I should just learn to ski forwards properly first! rolling eyes Laughing

Have done about 3 weeks, and had a couple of 1-1 lessons, I can cope with blues no problem and the reds are usually ok.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I wouldnt put the binding on anything above +3 on a silencer if your wanting to use it anywhere else other than park
snow conditions
AndyN, and BTW welcome to snowheads......now you have joined you can never leave Toofy Grin

Good luck with your desire to start doing some frestyle stuff. Ony sugestion borne from experience (alibet mostly on plastic) get some body protection if you want to start to be a real park monkey.

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=64545

Dont underestimate your GF's comments about improving your more conventional skiing skils first though, park is all about balance and the ability to feel when you ski is edged and when it is truely flat, as well as developing the ability to shift your balance frowards and backwards, all skills that come from inproving your general skiing ability.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy