Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Clubs spoiling the Scottish fun!

Poster: A snowHead
We took the time at the weekend to tow our caravan from Leeds to Aviemore, to start exercising our Season pass.

The tough journey and freezing fog on the slopes on Saturday was more than compensated by a glorious Sunday of fresh Cairngorm powder an sunshine.

For the final run, before heading back to Leeds we headed up the Coire Cas Tee-bar. To our horror, 2/3 of the way up the run a member (teenage) of G*****w Ski Race club pushed our 9-year old off the tee-bar, in order that she might ride up the rest of the way by herself! Even after he fell off, she didn't apologise, and he had call after her for his glove : she was sat on it! Turns out she already tried to kick my 13 year old off the lift, but she wasn't budging, so the lout moved on to pick on someone smaller.

Gloriously, the lift packed in almost immediately, and the culprit got a bollocking from the guy in charge, but we were left wondering:

Is this attitude common? Should we revert to Glensee: the snow was crap but the skiiers were nice? Why in the hell would she not apologise, or stop to see the little guy was OK, or even try the stunt in the first place?

We then learnt she was banned from that lift (hence she has to try to cadge a lift on the way)...so why does t he G*****w Ski Race club bring the slob on the slope in the first place??

Luckily the little chap is made of tough stuff, but its a tricky bar to ride, and he did well to repeatedly take the lift. I'm still p****d that she was on the slope at all, never mind setting upon my lad.

As a boarder myself, I always wondered why skiers carried sharp sticks with them every where. I've now educated my son in the proper use of ski sticks, or skewers, as we now call them.

Strax
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Sounds as if they've been to Tignes and learned their bad habits from the french kids race teams.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Race brat acts as if superior skiing ability gives her special rights over the general public shocker!! Common story world over.

Seriously any half decent coach should be down on this like a ton of bricks, I'd suggest a strongly worded email and not being so coy about the name of the offending club.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
+1 on the follow up with the club / coaches, I'm sure they would take some action. Also copy the letter to snowsport Scotland.

This would not necessarily be a centre-specific issue - the "home" racers on Cairngorm are generally well marshalled - a few cheeky we tykes now and then but nothing more than high spirits and certainly nothing like what you describe.

You'll get the names of the club officers also on the Snowsport Scotland website (and probably a club liaison contact or whatever for Snowsport Scotland itself).

Also, make Col on cairngorm aware if you havent already, so Patrol and the lifties will know to keep an eye on anyone from this particular group.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
barry, 9 year old lad falls off T-bar lift? Write to Snowsport Scotland demanding action?

I bet you're a riot at parties....
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Poor show. I'm with Fatbob ... you need to take it up with the club/coach. I'm assuming the little s*d was wearing club gear at the time?

I'm sure we've all had this with teenagers though. I chased one once after he cut me up, didn't catch him (don't know what i would have done if I had!) but I like to think I gave him a fright.

What gets me about these ski clubs is how they often cordon off half of the pistes for their own use ... and then don't use them. Do they pay for this I wonder?

The other thing teenage boarders like to do is press their board down on your back binding in lift queues to release your boot, to punish you for not letting them to the front... I can speak pretty good French and a few four-letter word equivalents come in handy here.

Happy days - can't wait for 27th December Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

The other thing teenage boarders like to do is press their board down on your back binding in lift queues to release your boot

Use your ski boot to press down on the toes of his soft snowboard boot or smash his bindings, I can guarantee the culprit will not do it again.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
The Voice of Reason,

9 year old pushed off t-bar by a racer likely subsidised by snowsport scotland and certainly wearing their branding, yes I think they need to know about it. Knowing some of the local coaches, they absoulutely want to hear about it so they can stop anything like this

what would you do if your wean was dumped off the lift?
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You have to consider this is just one side of a story. Why am I telling this? Because until now I never heard of anything like this. In general racers (even those low level kids) are pretty nice people when it comes to interaction with others on ski place. Sure they ski line, sure they ski fast etc., but it sounds pretty unbelievable for me, that someone would just go and push some kid off the lift... especially half way up the lift.
I'm not saying it's not possible, but it's a bit hard to jump on this, when you hear just one side of story, and even this from offended parent, who was not even riding same lift.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
barry, If I didn't get an immediate satisfactory response from the governing body, I'd be taking it up with UK Sport demanding funding levels be cut, Sport Scotland demanding administrative change, and the A team requesting that they hunt the guilty child down and knee cap her so she can never ski again.....

You clown.....
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
OP learned that the individual was banned from the lift so sounds like form to me
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
The Voice of Reason, guess you're the gimp at parties then eh

You fanny...
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

In general racers (even those low level kids) are pretty nice people when it comes to interaction with others on ski place.

not in Tignes in the autumn they aren't. Pushing and shoving in every queue and jumping on T bars with only one occupant are par for the course.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
If the OP is right that the alleged offender was banned from that lift, sounds like the moan is completely justified.

I've spent a few days (well, about 14 in total I suppose) at both Tignes and Les Deux Alpes with a lot of kid racers on the slopes and never seen this happen - they push each other off, for sure, but not innocent bystanders.

I wouldn't call them "pretty nice people" when they're fighting for their place in the Jandri Express though. Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I think maybe we are seeing the difference here between Scotland and France? French teenagers especially (and yes i am generalising, of course) seem to regard everyone else as just in their way. They dont understand that without lift passes paid for by foreigners their lift system would not exist.

But they are teenagers. I was one once. There were only a couple of things on my mind most of the time, and ski lift etiquette most assuredly was not one of them Toofy Grin
snow report
primoz, Everyone's seen race kids jumping onto already occupied T bars in transit because they are so special they don't have to queue like everyone else. Ditto queuejumping behaviour. Now if they are skilful enough to do the upload without disturbing the occupant e.g. a 15 stone male then I don't have a particular problem but its pretty clear to me from the OP that the girl tried this and as a result bounced the occupant off. So that is unacceptable.
snow report
fatbob, don't mind them using spare capacity on T-bars so long as the racer is jumping on with one of their team/fellow racers and the racer already on the bar isn't deliberately going up as a single to give their mates a chance of hopping on halfway up. Bit of a rant unrelated to the OP/thread but it's infuriating seeing people not take space on t-bars and particularly chairlifts so they can all go up with their friends instead, particularly when they make this decision right at the front of the queue. It's frequent to see one person on a six-man chair when there's a 45-min queue behind. If you're desperate to go with your friends/family, step aside and let others take the free space available.
ski holidays
I think I would also email the club concerned and complain about the incident and do as much as you can to identify the culprit. Surely the club has some disciplinary measures that they can bring to the situation, and I would think would want to do so as it can't do their reputation any good if their skiers are leaving upset public on the slopes esp. with the existence of public internet forums to spread word. I would be surprised if they didn't act and if they didn't then I think a more strongly worded complaint to their governing body would be in order. After all it could be argued that the OP has a duty of care to the miscreant and their subsequent victims to do their best to prevent them growing up thinking 'bully' behaviour is acceptable.

The above does of course assume that the story is as one sided as it sounds.
snow report
No doubt it is a GLASGOW ski club! If so name them, there may be a member that has dual "membership" with snowHead s. They may be able to get involved and get the GLASGOW ski club to reprimand the gobshite!
ski holidays
Colin B wrote:
Pushing and shoving in every queue and jumping on T bars with only one occupant are par for the course.

Personally I never had problem if someone "jumped" on t-bar when I was riding up alone. I have far more problems with people, who, with 10min queue on bottom station, wait and wait until whole group together can fit one 6 seat chair lift, while 3 others go up with one person on chair. Would it really be end of world, if you would go up without "your group"? Wink Same goes for gondolas where people want to have "privacy" on their ride. Well if you want to do these things, pick day when there's no people... and don't complain if someone jumps on "your" t-bar/chair/gondola.
As far as skipping lines goes... normally racers have priority. If we like it or not. If people think it's perfectly fine to skip lines since you paid for ski instructor, then I guess it's perfectly fine for racers to skip lines. Besides, most of racers get off the hill before most of "normal" skiers even come to hill. Wink
ski holidays
sanman, as I said, I have skied on slopes with lots of racers at tignes and LDA and not seen them shove any but their own off a T bar. I have skied about 20 months in total, in France, in the last 8 years and never yet been barged off a lift by teenagers (of any nationality) on lifts. I did take a dislike to a gang of very grown up (in years at least) German men in Les Contamines - they were rude, loud and shoving quite unnecessarily in otherwise very well behaved, and short, lift queues. Like Sideshow_Bob get fed up with people who won't fill up a chairlift when there's a queue. I wish French resorts did singles lines.
I actually found the antics of the little racers on the T bars in Les Deux Alpes very entertaining. They sometimes rode 4 up, sometimes went backwards, sometimes barged each other off - or tried to. They were skilful enough not to bother anyone else
snow conditions
primoz, As far as I'm concerned racers have priority if there is a dedicated liftline for them OR they are accompanied by an instructor and in the instruction priority line. I've never seen the general"racers have priority" concept you refer to displayed in a sign anywhere I've skied nor is in the skier's code so I don't think anyone should feel obliged to cede their liftline place to one of these little treasures.
latest report
Quote:

As far as skipping lines goes... normally racers have priority. If we like it or not. If people think it's perfectly fine to skip lines since you paid for ski instructor, then I guess it's perfectly fine for racers to skip lines. Besides, most of racers get off the hill before most of "normal" skiers even come to hill.

Racers /race trainers have 1:1 priority when wearing bibs only, on specific lifts at CairnGorm (usually the M1 poma) beacause SNSS provided funding towards the M1. I've usually found the racers/race trainers reasonably curteous at CairnGorm bar the odd spoilt brat.

I'm afraid I'm with Barry and would email/contact the club if your child was pushed off the T-bar. Also if it happens again worth telling the lifty. It will depend who the lifty is, but I've had problems with queue jumpers who join the back of line 1 rather than line 3 and when it is politely pointed out to them that the back of the queue is 2 lines over studiously ignore the 'advise' pulled out of the queue by the lifty and given a lesson in scottish queuing.
latest report
That thread is a classic! Laughing rolling eyes
ski holidays
Fanny.... gimp.... clown..... it's getting badass in here - what next? Goggle fighting at high noon?.....puuleeeeeze!!!! Wink
snow conditions
Specialman, right on, bring yer sister for backup Laughing

fannyhead started it anyhow, by being, well...a fanny Toofy Grin
latest report
Strax, think your title is generalising a little as I know there was at least 2 other clubs up at Cairngorm at the weekend and all trainees of all clubs are briefed about being ambassadors of there clubs etc and in general I would say the kids are pretty well behaved and polite. If you have a complaint then contact Glasgow Ski Racing , http://www.glasgowskiracing.org.uk/index.htm , only contact emial I can find is in the feeback link. I am sure Mark one of the head coaches would not be happy if what happened is as you say.
latest report
 brian
brian
Weedgies, eh? rolling eyes
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
brian, Laughing
snow report
The Voice of Reason,

I have to say I'm with Barry on this one.

Racing kids do sometimes have a shocking attitude and I agree that a letter to the club concerned should be the least of Barry's actions.
snow conditions
OK Guys, things look like they're getting a bit lively on the thread, maybe its time to close it down a bit. I guess the general opinion is that the event was unusual, which is a reassurance. Where I can understand the racers jumping on a bar, the lack of sympathy for the wean dumped in the snow was unpleasant.

HOWEVER, on the day the Coach and the rest of the team DID express their apologies, and the Coach has contacted me seperately and off board. That is appreciated. I also understand that the teenager involved is still suffering the wrath of Parents and Club...and thats good enough for me. Probably my repeated referal to the offender as a girl hasn't helped, as it turns out it was a boy. Oops

And for the doubters of the story above, just to clarify, our whole family were on the lift (5 of us). My boy was on his own on the t-bar in front of us, because he's only 4' tall, the bar sits at the wrong height to share with anyone else.
And not to sound like a killjoy: We work with lots of kids, and many who are challenging. We love kids with spirit and life: they're often the ones who can acheive the most in play or in work, and they enjoy the risks the most, and learn the most from them. But we expect them to look after others at the same time..not leave them face down in the snow...

We'll be back in couple of weeks: weather permitting.

Strax
snow conditions
good stuff Strax, nice (and not at all surprising) to see the club react in this way, fair dues.

The Voice of Reason, get it up yis

Laughing Laughing Laughing

I love a happy ending
latest report
barry, NehNeh

(edited to add the missing wink )
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy