Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

I've just booked my first foreign ski holday! Tignes

Poster: A snowHead
thats a good price for evo/newgen they are cheaper than I remember....I'm sure you'd be very happy with either, but the extra hours with evo would be good at your level imo.

For cheap lunch - look for "sandwiche american" on the menu's in the cafes on the road that heads right from the aeroski/trolles (the easiest black run in resort imo) - two burgers and a portion of chips in a half baguette and cheap usually! Or the spar on the set of shops in tignes le lac.

You'll have great fun, it's an excellent resort for intermediates and after cairngorms I'm assuming a day or two of nasty weather (it is high - it gets cold/windy) won't result in too many tears.

Have a great time,

aj xx
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
TDC Tignes or Ultimate will both give you excellent lessons!
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Unless things have changed, Evo 2 staff have to be competent in at least English & French (they know their market).
Would recommend you contact all the schools you have mentioned, explain what you want out of your lessons & see what they say.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Andythejock. There's a lot of good info compressed into this thread. And there's shedloads more on previous posts/discussions about rip-off prices and expensive beers etc. Someone could have written a book entitled "The worlds most expensive spag bog" or "Johnny Frenchie had my trousers down in Val Despair" just by lifting info from the said posts Madeye-Smiley . Some people take note of the advice offered whilst others don't seem to get it. Sometimes you just have to learn a bit from experience. Example... Son & myself staying in Val d' 4-5 years back. go into "rugby bar". 2 pints=9euros....thinks that not too bad. Back later in the evening and same beers cost 13eu. Drink up & leave!. As regards getting spanked in restaurants, menus have prices on them! The bill shouldn't come as a huge shock. Wining & dining on the mountain is a big part of some peoples holidays but it's never going to be cheap. You can't grow much at 2000+mtrs in winter so everything has to trucked up the hill. Like i said previously the Marmottons(sp) restaurant near the snow-park is the cheapest by some margin. you could get a hot chocolate for 2eur self-service.
Sound advice fom Kenzie. He should know having spent several seasons in Tignes. Repeating myself ref. beers (prices from memory/last season). Loop bar happy hour 4-6pm? 12eur for a pitcher of lager (about 3.5 pints). Alpaka Lodge.....5eur a pint (maybe discount for SCGB members). Brassero happy hour etc etc. You're on a catered deal so make the most of it. Load up at breakfast and drink what you can get in the evening.
Some things you can't do much about. Esp.Killy full pass is over 200euros. A lot of money but you have to look at the bigger picture. It's a BIG area. Well linked/connected with (mostly) modern lifts, high speed chairs, gondolas & funiculars. Snow making on most major runs right across the area. Compared to caingorms £30 a day it doesn't seem so bad. The STGM do reward regular visitors. Ski three or more weeks on a Tignes Card Pass and they give you a little reward the following season. Tignes is a cool place and it's priority is skiing some of the best terrain in the world. You will enjoy it Cool
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Andythejock. A couple of PS's. The supermarket is your friend. Spar has a small cafe for hot food/drinks. Also take-away stuff, sandwiches etc, and Wifi. It's just round the corner from where you're staying and close to the ski-school meeting point.

Also if private/small group lessons are out of reach then i would second Evo2. My son learned to board with them. English no problem. In fact i think he learned a few "new " english expressions from his instructor.

Finally, this is high altitude skiing. Don't forget to drink lots of water along with the aforementioned beer & wine wink

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Thu 9-12-10 14:53; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

If you want to get the "I've done a black run" monkey off your back, try the short Leisse run below the Grande Motte down to the Leisse chairlift, it marked as black but offers no challenge after pisting

+1 for that run. It is great as IIRC when we were there it was never very busy, as folks get put off by it being signed black, and it has its own chair, so you can tootle up and down, or whatever to your hearts content. snowHead
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Eating out/lunch - we often use 'Le Croque Burger' in Tignes le Lac for a reasonably priced lunch. Fast food/cafe style full of British people. Avoid peak lunchtime hours during half term though. Also there's a very good pizza restaurant just above the Intersport shop which is next to the ESF hq, on the road going up by the 'Palafour' chair lift in Lac. Can't remember the name though!

Not sure where other people eat but we never use the on-mountain restaurants due to the high prices.

A 6 day lift pass gives you free access to the watersports complex so take your swimwear.

We've used Ultimate Snowsports for lessons for our kids. Very professional and fun for adults too. They do private hourly lessons as well. Not the cheapest but small class sizes.

Free internet access in the Maison De Tignes if there's none in your chalet.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

take your swimwear

is it one of those "compulsory speedos" pools?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
slowboarder wrote:
Eating out/lunch - we often use 'Le Croque Burger' in Tignes le Lac for a reasonably priced lunch. Fast food/cafe style full of British people. Avoid peak lunchtime hours during half term though. Also there's a very good pizza restaurant just above the Intersport shop which is next to the ESF hq, on the road going up by the 'Palafour' chair lift in Lac. Can't remember the name though!

Not sure where other people eat but we never use the on-mountain restaurants due to the high prices.

A 6 day lift pass gives you free access to the watersports complex so take your swimwear.

We've used Ultimate Snowsports for lessons for our kids. Very professional and fun for adults too. They do private hourly lessons as well. Not the cheapest but small class sizes.

Free internet access in the Maison De Tignes if there's none in your chalet.

Carpe Diem?

Most bars do free wifi, and some also have free machines to use.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

Most bars do free wifi, and some also have free machines to use

Provided you buy a couple of extortionately priced beers. wink
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
GeorgeVII wrote:
Andythejock. A couple of PS's. The supermarket is your friend. Spar has a small cafe for hot food/drinks. Also take-away stuff, sandwiches etc, and Wifi. It's just round the corner from where you're staying and close to the ski-school meeting point.

Also if private/small group lessons are out of reach then i would second Evo2. My son learned to board with them. English no problem. In fact i think he learned a few "new " english expressions from his instructor.

Finally, this is high altitude skiing. Don't forget to drink lots of water along with the aforementioned beer & wine wink

George 7 - thanks for all the info - much appreciated. I'll let my pals know what has been said (may need to print the thread and take it with me!)

Does anybody know whether we've ended up within the French school hols - trip is 26/2 for a week. I think we may have, inadvertently. We were trying to suit six people and this was the only week that suited all (I wasn't fussy myself).

We've bought the full area Espace Killy ski passes btw, and yes, the skiing is more important than the boozing to us (although that's not to say I won't enjioy the Cab Sav!).

I have a std Camelbak for my biking - do they freeze up? Will I have agiant ice lolly on my back - should I put blackcurrent juice in to make my looly more tasty? Laughing

Thanks again folks - some great contributions made to this thread!

Andy
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Andythejock,
Quote:

Does anybody know whether we've ended up within the French school hols - trip is 26/2 for a week.

You have.
Quote:

I have a std Camelbak for my biking - do they freeze up? Will I have agiant ice lolly on my back - should I put blackcurrent juice in to make my looly more tasty?

Obviously depends a bit on the temperature but usually the bit that is at risk is the tube and mouthpiece. Some folk blow back down it to evacuate the fluid.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Andy, there's a "sticky" at the top of the PISTE section that lists holiday dates.

Yes, your Camelbak will freeze most days. At least the tube and mouth-piece will. You can get insulated ones though. One word of caution. Don't get your backpack hooked on a chairlift when you dismount Shocked It does happen!

Cheers, George.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
"
Quote:
much appreciated. I'll let my pals know what has been said (may need to print the thread and take it with me!) "

No need for that Andy. It's a small world. As for the timing, end of January would have been my choice and yes it is the school hols. They do at least stagger them by region over a 3 week period so it could be worse I guess.

As for some of the prices mentioned, they look fairly typical to me for one of the large French resorts . I am a SCGB member so, fingers crossed, will hopefully be able to get discounts . Last time I was in Switzerland it was £10.00 for a pint in most of the pubs and no lower than £8 in the cheapest pubs so Tignes does not look to brutal to me . Guess we will find out when we get there. There has been a lot of really good responses to your questions and I am sure, from what I have read, we will all have a great time.

As for the Camelbak the Whisky usually stops it freezing.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
For those of you that didn't work it out, Stev 944 (should I call myself "Andy modded Impreza"? wink ) is one of the experienced skiers I'm doing the trip with (also a life long friend - hello Stev!).

Stev, been doing some research on our hotel, Tignes 2100. Some peeps moan about the fact they have "49" steps to climb with their ski gear to get to reception (lol, are they skiers or couch potatoes!), that the rooms are small, the decor tired and that the showers change in temperature at a whim. However, more important I think are facts such as the hotel is 3 mins from the chairlifts and that the food is excellent, as is the service from the young (Swedish!) staff. Oh, and they happily refill your glass as you eat (eat slowly!) and happy hour where you get 2 wines for 3 Euros is 4-6pm! Cool

A good choice for us I reckon (noting that not one person has said other than that the skiing at Tignes is excellent!).

PS - Good tip re the whisky! Cool
latest report
Hi Andy

I had a look at Trip advisor etc and I don't expect it t be one of the better hotels that I have stayed in ( you get what you pay for), but there are some positive reviews and unfortunately I reckon there is just no pleasing some people so I would take some comments made abut the hotel with a pinch of salt. I have stayed in a couple of hotels over the years that made Fawlty Towers look good, but I still enjoyed the holiday. A hotel would have to be an absolute hovel to spoil my holiday as it is the skiing that makes the holiday. If the the food and the wine is good I will be happy.

As for the climb to the reception, unfortunately sometimes carrying luggage up stairs, or a steep walkway cant be avoided when the building is over 2000 metres up a mountain.
ski holidays
My girlfriend and I have booked 3 morning lessons with TDC in Tignes.

Thanks for all the advice given by the various contributors to this thread. Cool
ski holidays
Andythejock, excellent choice
snow report
Good to hear! snowHead
snow report
Quote:

unfortunately sometimes carrying luggage up stairs

Laughing Laughing Laughing hardships! What a terrible calamity.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy