Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

First ascent of Salisbury Crags

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
So I tried out the touring skis today. I left my house with the skis and skins on but quickly found out it is easier and quicker to carry the skis on compacted snow than to skin up. I walked about 1.5miles to Holyrood Park then skinned up Salisbury Crags, maybe 0.5miles? Skinning is hard work and I was slower than my friends who were walking without skis. The only place that I had an advantage was when cutting off the trodden down paths across some deep snow.

The skis down was hard but fun, the snow was a little crusty now, I have obviously missed the best Edinburgh snow, and my skis need remounted, they are mounted pretty far forward so are a but funky feeling at the moment.

So thought of my first shot with touring skis.
It's physically hard work climbing up.
I need to figure out how to get up steep bits, I started sliding backwards at one point so had obviously reached the limits of the skins.
If there isn't much snow then it's a bit easier just carrying your skis for short distances.
Rucksacks with ski carrying systems are great, I have hiked up hills before with my skis on my shoulder and a proper rucksack makes all the difference.
I can see why tourers get obsessed with light weight
I think I try to lift the skis too much rather than slide then, any hints or tips on skinning?

Some pics

My uphill tracks

Holyrood park

Edinburgh

Arthurs seat

My new skis

Me setting off

snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
lynseyf, What lovely photos - brought back very happy memories Very Happy
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
lynseyf, no hints on skinning, I'm afraid - but great photos, and a v good effort!
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Nice one, well done Very Happy
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Great pics Smile
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Good effort lynseyf.

Too steep: zig zag back and forth up the slope to make it easier. Some prefer steep tracks, others like to travel further but on an easier gradient so you need to find out what works best for you. At each corner you'll need to do an uphill kick turn which is a bit of an acquired knack. I'm sure there are plenty of videos to show you how.

Skinning in general: try not to pick up your skis - just push them along the snow (like ironing). You'll need to modify this if the snow is soft and you're making the track. It can be hard work so just concentrate on keeping all your movements, and energy expenditure, to a minimum. Aim to get into a rhythm and keep going. Remember to use the heel raise and change the height as often as you need to make life easy.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
lovely, lovely...
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Nice photos, nowhere near Salisbury then?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
altis, Thanks Altis, yes I think I need to learn kick turns but I will leave that till my second time out Smile When you say just push the skis along the snow, how much do you left your heel up, sometimes when I tried to slide a bit more I lifted my heel a lot? I got into more of a rhythm the more I went on so am sure more practise will help.

davidof, no, part of an old volcano in Edinburgh.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Yes, my heel comes up. Quite how much - I've never bothered to measure! I'm only ever conscious of it when we're on the flat and a race starts to develop. Don't worry about trying to 'kick and glide' - that's only really appropriate for XC skis. I'd just concentrate on moving forwards and let your body do what is necessary. Focus on keeping your balance and rhythm.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy