Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Davos/Klosters 2010/11

Poster: A snowHead
Will be there in early January. Anyone out there before to give a report?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
DCG wrote:
Will be there in early January. Anyone out there before to give a report?

Will be there 26/12 to 2/1, will update you then. Its our 1st visit there, so any tips would be appreciated
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
arlberg, I've been to Davos a couple of times and Klosters about 5 or 6 times, so there's probably people on here who have more knowledge. Anyway, I'll help where I can. A great ski area. What would you like to know?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
arlberg, Since leaving this last post I've seen another thread on which I and others have started to answer your questions here. I'm not sure whether this link will work, but it's called "Davos for Christmas" in the Piste sectiopn. http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=1663083#1663083
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
DCG wrote:
arlberg, I've been to Davos a couple of times and Klosters about 5 or 6 times, so there's probably people on here who have more knowledge. Anyway, I'll help where I can. A great ski area. What would you like to know?

DCG

We can find our way about the mountain ok, but have 2 ski widows in tow, so any advice on best lunching places would be great and make our life so much easier.

Cheers
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
arlberg, Hotel Kulm in Wolfgang is accessible by bus and at the bottom of a good black. Excellent lunches and wonderful hospitality. Also, the funi train in Davos goes right up to the Weissflujoch (with one change half way) and there's a panoramic restaurant there - booking advisable - so pedestrians can meet up with skiers. One stop on up the Weissflugipfl by cable car (and a shortish walk uphill in the snow, maybe 50 metres tops), so accessible by pedestrians i presume - another restaurant with panoramic views. You can do the run Dypcdiver mentioned in the other thread and go down to Teufi. There's a restaurant there that is bus accessible - they also have horse drawn carriages there for non-skiers. There's a nice hotel opposite the station in Klosters (called something like Alpen) that is accessible easily from Davos by train and you can ski down to from the Parsenn. May think of more later.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
arlberg, I came across this link while researching map data: http://www.teufi.ch/00_de.html there's a brochure download in English.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
arlberg, Hoping you're there now and can give us an update.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Arrived in Davos last night. Skied on Parsenn today. The Davos side was in sunshine to start with but at the top of Weissflujoch we could see cloud in the Klosters section up to about 2300m. Stayed Davos side and above Parsennhutte initially. Pistes in good condition, not much wind but it felt colder than the -7 shown on the signs. By late morning the cloud had got higher. Ventured down the Schifer area. Vis very poor at the top of the cloud but once below it not too bad - just flat light. However, this got progressively worse and the pistes got emptier. Decided to call it a day at 3.30pm and hope for better vis tomorrow. It was snowing lightly from midday - more on the Davos side than Klosters.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
The conditions in Klosters / Davos were much better from the 17/12 to the 8/1 when I was there. The visability was really good and the pistes were in really good condition. ENJOY...
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
wwvg@hotmail.co.uk, Not sure where you were on 2nd Jan, but I got the impression that the poor vis was widespread. Anyway, much better for the next 4 days then mixed on 7th Jan. As I left they were expecting rain which should stabilise the snow-pack - very sugary in some parts.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Will be going to Davos 18th to 26th feb with a mixed group.Any tips or info would be great.Loads on here for lots of other resorts,but can't find much for Davos.Travelling by train from Zurich airport.Thanks
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
swimandski, Happy to give some tips, but what do you want to know? Have you done Swiss train transfers before? Great experience, but the Davos one involves a 6 minute change at Landquart which requires focus if travelling with kids or lots of luggage. What levels of skiiing in your group? What are you looking for?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I was on Rinerhorn on the 2nd, and although the vis could have been better, it was not that much worse than it is normally - we go out there 4 times a year for skiing. I don't think that the rain materialised, and there is more snow on the way in the next few days. Swiss train transfers are really easy - you can always ask people the way, and the people in the kiosk at Zurich are really helpful. Most of the mountians are accommodating for most types of skiers, but on Rinerhorn there are few really easy runs. Gotschna / Parsenn is a very good all-round mountain, with lots of runs all over the place. Maybe that would be a good starting point. Have fun!
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
swimandski, The nude spa - Eau-la-la I think it's called - is a must.

Best 22CHF I've ever spent Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
wwvg@hotmail.co.uk, I can't really add to my post on 2nd Jan - it was really bad on the Parsenn by early to mid pm and it looked from there that the cloud had rolled all the way up the valley, but obviously hadn't quite made it to Rinerhorn. You made the right choice.

Swimandski, as wwvg@hotmail.co.uk says, lots of helpful people around on the trains to point the way etc but the point in my earlier post remains: if you've got small kids or someone who can't walk as fast then the 6 minutes to transfer at Landquart can be tight. So, to avoid waiting an hour for the next train you need to be fairly swift about it. You might want to consider the air-rail baggage transfer system: for 20CHF per bag you check the bag in at outbound airport and pick it up at your destination hotel. SWISS do this if your flying with them, not sure about other airlines. Note though that the bag may not be there until the next morning - particularly if you're on a late flight - so best to take with you all things needed for the first night and up to say 11am the next day.

Still on trains, children travel free if accompanied by adults. We didn't discover this initially. Check out the SBB website for more info if that is of interest.
ski holidays
Ta,we have booked transfer tickets and i was aware of 2 changes,but not that there will be a 6 min change. we are flying with swiss air so will send the big luggage through to Davos. We're staying at the youth hostel,I can't work out how far the walk is to the lift station,also is there a ski run down that passes close to the hostel? Thanks for the prompt replies so.x
ski holidays
Last year we went to SaasFee,our first ski trip to the Swiss Alps and it was such a pleasant change to the previous 5 seasons in France.Our poor attempts at French,German,Italian mixed with English were met with politeness rather than a look of derision at our attempts of French in France! Which language is best to try and speak in Davos?
latest report
swimandski, Dealing first with your second question, you are likely to find most people understand and speak English very well - although it's in the Swiss/German speaking part of the country. Politenss and hospitality abound.
There are really 5 separate ski areas in the combined Davos/Klosters region - Parsenn, Pischa, Jacobshorn, Rinerhorn & Madrisa. Parsenn is by far the biggest and there is a black run that comes down from there into the town not far from the uplift - the Parsenn funicular train. The black can be both busy and icy at times, so no disgrace in taking the funi down from mid station at the end of the day. I don't know the Youth Hostel, but from the map it looks like there's one just up from the funi station and along a bit. It may be that you could leave the black run just before it ends to cut across. I've never considered that and have mostly been watching out for other skiers rather than exits, but it does wind through some houses so there may be a way. Jacobshorn is probably the next montain to try and is a short bus journey away. Access from the cable car just behind Davos Platz station. Rinerhorn is a longer bus or short train journey (once an hour by train) up the valley but is also worth a visit - unless you don't like T-bars. It's also more resilient and keeps open longer when the winds get strong.
Pischa is a smaller area but has a free-ride zone. Madrsia is probably not worth going to when staying in Davos (since it involves crossing Klosters by bus) unless you're curious and want to complete all the area.
Going back to the trains, the SBB website is very useful and you can print off the train timetable in advance. It shows which platforms you need to change to. The 6 minutes in Landquart is no problem if you are prepared for it and can move reasonably swiftly. It's just down a ramp, along a tunnel for 50 yards and up the other side. If, however, you're overloaded with luggage, have kids in tow and aren't on a part of the train near the start of the ramp, you will find it tight.
snow report
Thank you very much DCG for all your help and advice,we are getting very exited!
latest report
swimandski, One further thought on the baggage system: On the occasions I've used it the hotel organised to collect from and deliver to the station. You mentioned you will be staying in the youth hostel so it may be worth checking if they have the same capability. Otherwise it may be a lot of hassle getting your bags from the station after you've arrived. Also, note that sometimes the bags don't get ther until mid morning the next day, so don't pack the ski essentials if your planning to be on the slopes for 9am! Hope you have a great time.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy