Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Montgenevre & the Milky Way

Poster: A snowHead
Evening all! I've had a quick (albeit very quick) scan through the articles on what I could see regarding this topic before posting.

A few friends and I are going away in Feb to Montgenevre (all 19-21, I'm 21 over there) and I was wondering if anyone could give us a few tips and share their experience with the place.

A few things we'd like to know is:
- How good is the Apres-ski in Montgenevre? We've read all the reviews and the jist we get is one club and a few pubs, but what are they like? Lively or not?
- We're all intermediates, 3 skiiers & 1 boarder, and would like to get through as much skiing as possible. What we have read is that it's very hard to get to the other side (Sauez) on the lifts, so how much would it cost to get there by taxi, or is there a bus. Also, how far away from Montgenevre would we be able to get before we'd have to turn back?

Even if you have been to Montgenevre or the Milky Way but you can't answer these questions, it would be good to hear from your experience and your opinions on the place(s).

Thanks
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Apres ski is quiet. One place in the evenings really La Graal a standard quietish bar. I believe there is one small nightclub that I haven't been to that I think is calles La Baita. It is rather low key and quiet though.

Can't really answer your question on going to Sauze d'Oulx and Sestriere. I've kept myself to Claviere and Montgenevre which has some good skiing. Good mountain grub above Claviere.

I learnt to ski here so have a fond spot for the place.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I went to Sestriere last year, we skied over to Montgenevre, and managed to get in about 3 hours skiing in Montgenevre before we had to turn back.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Nightlife: It's a small resort and that means the nightlife is concentrated. The Graal in the centre of the village for the après-ski. Pub Chaberton, open 'til 2am for after dinner boozing. The nightclub was closed last year, it might re-open this year. A small 'boîte' very French, underneath the 'Ca del Sol (my après-ski choice). The chalet boys and girls go out on the town and they'll only be in one of 3 places. So you might end up going to the same places everyday, but you'll feel like locals by the end of the week. Depending on your tastes you might also like the bar at the Rois Mages (very english).

As for skiing over into Italy, it's fine. Just leave with the 1st lift and make sure you're back at the bottom of Cesana by 3pm at the latest to be sure. How far you ski depends on your speed. I recommend you ski Sauze d'Oux as far as Sportina, then return to San Sicario after lunch. (great slopes
http://youtube.com/v/8MOrct5EJdo ). That way you are on the right side of the mountain to get to Cesana by 3pm at the latest.

You could get an early morning minibus to San Sicario return for about euro 120 return. There's a bus to Cesana from Montgenevre, but I have no idea about timetables. I've managed to ski Sestriere and Sauze d'Oulx in a day starting from sanSicario.

I recommend you do the Milky Way on skis and then book a cab to take you to Serre Chevalier (Chantemerle) for a day. That way you get two away days for the price of one. Serre Chevalier is free on your ski pass too.

Hope this helps,

Volf
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Cheers for the advice everyone. We're not looking to go partying as such, just somewhere that is busyish and go for a drink! We definatley want to be up early and get as much skiing in as possible.

Volf, what time does the lifts open in Montgenevre, 8 or 9? We definatley want to get to Sauez D'Oulx due to reviews and it was the place we wanted to go but just couldn't get the right deal. 120 Euros might be a bit steep but if we haven't got there by the end of the week then we may have to cough up.

One of the lads and I went to Serre Chevalier last year and loved it so we were going to take the others there for a day, definatley. Any ideas on taxi price and distance/time travelling?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks all for this info - we are in Montgenevre for a week in the middle of January so all very useful.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Was there last year. I think we had a monts de lune (?) which covered Montgenevre and Claviere; and it gave you a day either in the via lattea or a trip on a bus to SC. You will go through SC to get to Montgenevre so you will know how far away it is (can't remember TBH).
We took the green run down to Cessena - IIRC a long (30-40mins?),narrow, flat gauntlet of falling/fallen boarders; I think its a road in the summer. You might get further taking the lift down or (I think there's a) black run to save time. We had time to get there, do a few runs, have lunch and then a few more runs before high winds kept stopping the lifts so we headed back early.
Nightlife is quiet - only went to Graal Rois Mages though.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Tenpoundpomme wrote:
Was there last year. I think we had a monts de lune (?) which covered Montgenevre and Claviere; and it gave you a day either in the via lattea or a trip on a bus to SC. You will go through SC to get to Montgenevre so you will know how far away it is (can't remember TBH).
We took the green run down to Cessena - IIRC a long (30-40mins?),narrow, flat gauntlet of falling/fallen boarders; I think its a road in the summer. You might get further taking the lift down or (I think there's a) black run to save time. We had time to get there, do a few runs, have lunch and then a few more runs before high winds kept stopping the lifts so we headed back early.
Nightlife is quiet - only went to Graal Rois Mages though.

THe black run is not much shorter and is prone to ice and rocks depending on the snow level. DO NOT TAKE THE GREEN it is far quicker to get the chair down!

Leaving Monty on first lift (9.00 I think) last year we skiied down to sansicario a couple of runs there (The ladies olympic black is good and not really that steep), over into Sauze for lunch, the up and over into Sestriere - from here you can get the bubble back up into sansicario and home.

To sort out a taxi to Serre Che, there is an info board at the top of the village at the coach park - do not rely on the bus - wee found it very difficult to get reliable info so gave up on it.

NIghtlife is as described above - low key but not dead. The Graal was cosy but expensive (and quiet the qeek we were there), we tended to stay in he Rois Mages bar (we were staying there) - pretty busy, friendly and (relatively) cheap (4 euros a pint). IN fact many of the hotel staff spent a good bit of their night off there...... read into that what you will!

Nightclub was definitely closed last year.

Do try the outdoor burger bar (right outside Rois Mages) - absolutely brilliant burgers!.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thank you Mister T, staying at the Rois Mages too so that's good news. What was your experience of the hotel? What was the food like too? Thanks
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Not sure whether its Mages or not but we used to have cheesy chips and a cronanberg or two in a bar more or less directly behind the main run to centre of town, most of the staff were English too
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
To re-itterate much of what Mister T has said.

Lifts open at 9am or thereabouts.
There is am 8am bus to Cesana from Montgenevre - Ski back.

If you are at the Rois Mages then Skitopia may have a ski hosting service, best to ski with someone who knows the way if you can.

"We took the green run down to Cessena - IIRC" - they're right - if you're on a board, take the black/red or the chairlift. Don't do the green road.

Serre Chevalier is 30 minutes drive from Montgenevre. Price? about the same Euro120 return minibus (Cool Euro80 Taxi (4)
(one of the Tour operators may have an away day you can join by paying a fee for the coach)

Tourist office is at the Italian end of the village. They have all the info on buses and taxis.

Volf
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
has anyone stayed with "go - montgenevre" looks like an english company?

Quote:

I recommend you do the Milky Way on skis and then book a cab to take you to Serre Chevalier (Chantemerle) for a day. That way you get two away days for the price of one. Serre Chevalier is free on your ski pass too.

If i read the above right, you by a day pass to the Milky Way, and then get a free day in Serre Che ?? is that right, I know its not but I cant work out the above comment ??? I'm thick I know !!!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
sellwin90 wrote:
Thank you Mister T, staying at the Rois Mages too so that's good news. What was your experience of the hotel? What was the food like too? Thanks

Hotel rooms are basic, but warm and comfy. SKi room in the basement, locked at night. You really are over the road from the skiing here.

Staff were very good & friendly. Food was pretty good and reasonable quantities - cohice of at least 2 things on all three courses selected the night before. Wine not included - drinks from the bar, water on table. Breakfast a good size buffet, don't think there was a hot option, but the fresh croissants were good.

If there are school groups there (and there probably will be) they have an early sitting for dinner, and all of there activities take place in the games room / bar in the basement, so they will be largely out of your way - they were certainly no trouble to us.

If you are looking for a good place to eat on the chalet night off, I can reccommend the refuge, turn left out of the hotel, about 5 minutes walk, in the parade of shops after the Graal pub - reasonably procerd and good food - you may need to book as a lot of the locals use it too.

Summing it up - it is 2 star, but a good 2 star, and you will enjoy the hotel. Don't bank on the awayday to Serre - however - the week we were there there was not enough interest.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Libertine, I've stayed with Go Montgenevre twice and there is a clue there. Can highly reccomend them and they provide a relatively cheap transfer from Turin where they even took us to the supermarket in Turin for cheaper prices on the way there.

I think you only get a free day in either Via Lattea (Milky Way) or Serre Chevalier I'm not 100% sure on this but don't think you can get a day in both areas on a week pass.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Christopher, Thanks. Look like a friendly bunch and one that will accommodate. Waiting for a price back from them, they are not too sharp on their emails.... but when you are in an office in Canary Wharf, you do expect an instant response !!

Do you know if london flights arrive in turin ever day ?
ski holidays
Libertine, I think there are daily flights from Gatwick to Turin with British Airways and Stanstead with Ryanair.
latest report
Hey all... Just a quick thanks for all the info here, very useful. I'm off to Montgenevre on the 16th and I can hardly wait! Very Happy
snow report
Enjoy we did last Easter Smile
ski holidays
orangekss, Where are you staying and please report back
ski holidays
Hi there... We're staying in a chalet La Petite Clautre run by Neilson. I've never been with that tour operator before so I will see how they measure up (I hope they can't be much worse than our Crystal experience!). I will be sure to report back and let you all know what I thought. The weather is looking a bit weird at the moment though (an unusually warm spell is forecast) but I really hope it snows again soon to freshen up the piste.... why do I torture myself looking at the forecast Puzzled
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy